Old 08-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Registered User

Location: flitwick
Question new to all of this help is always a good start :)

Well where do i start i like to grow lots of indoor and outdoor plants not
So long ago i bought myself a pair of poop 'shopsais' and after the dormancy period
It attempted to grow back with lots of new leaves only to loose them soon
After and hasnt shown life since... During all of this i bought some red maple seeds
And figured id give it a bash myself one has sprouted after 3 months outside
In the cold and the rest havent appeared yet i was just hoping that maybe
Somebody somewhere would like to follow the journey as i try to avoid killing
These off aswell( assuming i killed the shopsai's) and give advice and help
In the process as my partner is not at all interested and all other webpages
Seem to be pro's talking to pro's about 10yr+ bonsai's anyhoo il finish my essay
With a thanks to anybody who took the time to read it
ta very much
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

Default new to all of this help is always a good start :)

I'm a beginner myself even though I've been at it for a quite a few years by now. I've found that the best way to learn to care for them is to start by practicing on young trees that appear in my back yard. For instance, mulberries sown by birds are always popping up and after a season or two left in the ground I transplant them to pots and use them to practice branch and root trimming on and try out a variety of soil mixes. Since I have a constant supply of new ones coming up it is no great loss if I lose a few in the process. I highly recommend you use this method to develop some basic skills and you might end up with some trees you really like.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_sausage View Post
Well where do i start i like to grow lots of indoor and outdoor plants not
So long ago i bought myself a pair of poop 'shopsais' and after the dormancy period
It attempted to grow back with lots of new leaves only to loose them soon
After and hasnt shown life since... During all of this i bought some red maple seeds
And figured id give it a bash myself one has sprouted after 3 months outside
In the cold and the rest havent appeared yet i was just hoping that maybe
Somebody somewhere would like to follow the journey as i try to avoid killing
These off aswell( assuming i killed the shopsai's) and give advice and help
In the process as my partner is not at all interested and all other webpages
Seem to be pro's talking to pro's about 10yr+ bonsai's anyhoo il finish my essay
With a thanks to anybody who took the time to read it
ta very much
If you can, ask your friend to return it and demand a refund,
because it was sold without a label or instructions.
If there is a green layer under the bark, there is hope.
1. Get it outside, starting in the shade, gradually in full sun.
2. If there are stones glued on the soil, pry them off immediately.
3. Have you watered it? Water only when the soil is somewhat dry.
4. Once it has recognizable leaves, take a couple of pictures, one
close-up. and post to the Internet Bonsai Club. I don't have the URL
handy, but Google on it and you will get there.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 25-04-2012, 03:59 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

On Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:56:59 PM UTC-4, silly_sausage wrote:
Well where do i start i like to grow lots of indoor and outdoor plants
not
So long ago i bought myself a pair of poop 'shopsais' and after the
dormancy period
It attempted to grow back with lots of new leaves only to loose them
soon
After and hasnt shown life since.

Do you know what kind of tree it was? If you were trying to grow an outdoor tree indoors, that is typically what might happen. Never buy a bonsai or any other plant without a label.

... During all of this i bought some red
maple seeds
And figured id give it a bash myself one has sprouted after 3 months
outside
In the cold and the rest havent appeared yet

Growing bonsai from seed is not really for beginners, but you can practice on it. By red maple do you mean Acer palmatum? It helps to know exactly what you have.
Keep your seedling outdoors in a sheltered location. Where do you live?

all other
webpages
Seem to be pro's talking to pro's about 10yr+ bonsai
silly_sausage

Go to Internet Bonsai Club. They welcome beginners.
Iris