Old 31-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Location: England
Default bonsai information

Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and am quite new to bonsai growing. I have recently bought a Banyan fig bonsai tree, I was just wondering do they actually produce fruit or is it that just its name?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

no your banyan won't produce figs... there are many types of fig very
few produce edible fruit

--
mt006b1198

Old 17-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered User

Just bought one to. Put it in my conservatory, not in direct sun, but full light. A lot of the leaves have started to fall off. They are turning yellow. What could be the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtoy View Post

Old 18-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Registered User

Location: England
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRIBES View Post
Just bought one to. Put it in my conservatory, not in direct sun, but full light. A lot of the leaves have started to fall off. They are turning yellow. What could be the problem?
Hi

The leaves on my banyan fig are doing the same although it is indoors and it has good light but not directly on the windowsill so it can't be scorched.

Perhaps it may need re-potting, I am certainly going to do this with mine as it seems to be dry straight soaking.

Also make sure that u r not over watering (but not letting the soil dry completely out) as this can cause yellowing of the leaves and wilting.

Also they don't like draughts.

Good luck lol

Shelley
Old 25-06-2008, 11:38 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt006b1198 View Post
Hi

The leaves on my banyan fig are doing the same although it is indoors and it has good light but not directly on the windowsill so it can't be scorched.

Perhaps it may need re-potting, I am certainly going to do this with mine as it seems to be dry straight soaking.

Also make sure that u r not over watering (but not letting the soil dry completely out) as this can cause yellowing of the leaves and wilting.

Also they don't like draughts.

Good luck lol

Shelley
they donot grow fig. good luck with your bonsai care

Old 17-07-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai

On Jun 17, 4:41*pm, mt006b1198
wrote:
SCRIBES;798744 Wrote:

Just bought one to. *Put it in my conservatory, not in direct sun, but
full light. *A lot of the leaves have started to fall off. *They are
turning yellow. *What could be the problem?

Hi

The leaves on my banyan fig are doing the same although it is indoors
and it has good light but not directly on the windowsill so it can't be
scorched.

Perhaps it may need re-potting, I am certainly going to do this with
mine as it seems to be dry straight soaking.

Also make sure that u r not over watering (but not letting the soil dry
completely out) as this can cause yellowing of the leaves and wilting.

Also they don't like draughts.

Good luck lol

Shelley

--
mt006b1198

You know, I grow a lot of ficuses indoors. When they get sad and I
can't figure out why, I put them outdoors and they perk right up.
This of course only works during warm weather.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered User

The banyan bonsai tree is awesome and appreciated bonsai tree. It is associated with mysticism and spirituality. There is a unique feature of this tree that is it has the ability to grow on its own when not cared for at times . The banyan bonsai tree donot produce fruit
Smitha

Guaranteed ROI
Viral Marketing
Social Media Marketing
Search Engine Submissions
Email Marketing
Search Engine Marketing
Search Engine Optimization

Inspire Internet Marketing
Old 20-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered User

I grew up a lot of ficuses room. When they are sad, I can not imagine why, I put them outside, they cheer rights. This of course only in warm weather.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt006b1198 View Post
Hi

The leaves on my banyan fig are doing the same although it is indoors and it has good light but not directly on the windowsill so it can't be scorched.

Perhaps it may need re-potting, I am certainly going to do this with mine as it seems to be dry straight soaking.

Also make sure that u r not over watering (but not letting the soil dry completely out) as this can cause yellowing of the leaves and wilting.

Also they don't like draughts.

Good luck lol

Shelley

HI,

Thanks for your valuable ideas. I have tried it & I noticed betterment in my bonsai ...

Thanks dear..

Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlui View Post
Thanks for the help
apart from proper watering,....you would need to take special care of pruning...!to keep your bonsai beautiful and elegant.
Bonsai can be wired, pruned, and trained at will to form certain shapes. One caution from experts is to be sure when using wiring not to harm the branches or trunk with the wire. Cuts can cause disease or infestation from pests.
Old 16-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt006b1198 View Post
Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and am quite new to bonsai growing. I have recently bought a Banyan fig bonsai tree, I was just wondering do they actually produce fruit or is it that just its name?
The word “Bon-sai” (often misspelled as bonzai) is a Japanese term which, literally translated, means “planted in a container”. This art form is derived from an ancient Chinese horticultural practice, part of which was then redeveloped under the influence of Japanese Zen Buddhism. It has been around for well over a thousand years. The ultimate goal of growing a Bonsai is to create a miniaturized but realistic representation of nature in the form of a tree. Bonsai are not genetically dwarfed plants, in fact, any tree species can be used to grow one.

Techniques such as pinching buds, pruning and wiring branches, and carefully restricting but not abandoning fertilizers are used to limit and redirect healthy growth. Most commonly kept under four feet (or about a meter) in height, bonsai are not genetically dwarfed plants. However, plants with smaller leaves do make these compositions easier to design. In fact, any plant species that has a woody stem or trunk, grows true branches, can be successfully grown in a container to restrict its roots/food storage capability, and has smaller or reducible-leaves can be used to create a bonsai.

Look around at your trees, bushes, hedges, the copses in your yard or park, plants in the nursery or wild landscape – essentially any of those can be starter material. Carefully collected during the appropriate growing or dormant season with proper permission, your composition is begun. Most native plants can then be grown outdoors; material from more tropical climates needs at least some protection from the elements in the temperate zones. In our Bonsai tree species guide you can find more information about specific care per species.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 25-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered User

Bonsai is a Japanese art form using miniature trees grown in containers. Similar practices exist in other cultures, including the Chinese tradition of penjing from which the art originated, and the miniature living landscapes of Vietnamese hon non bo. The Japanese tradition dates back over a thousand years, and has its own aesthetics and terminology.
Caring for a Bonsai tree is not as hard as is commonly thought. However, as Bonsai trees are planted in small pots a few basic guidelines have to be followed when watering, fertilizing and repotting your trees. Though Bonsai trees are a little more delicate compared to the average indoor plant, a few basic rules should enable anyone to take care of its tree properly. Most importantly are watering, fertilization and choosing the right position to place it.
Old 29-06-2012, 05:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRIBES View Post
Just bought one to. Put it in my conservatory, not in direct sun, but full light. A lot of the leaves have started to fall off. They are turning yellow. What could be the problem?
i didnt knew its called "banyan" ,we just called it buled three, we have a lot like that in my country..
actually my older brother also has it a few..anyway about falling leaves..usually
its because of season(from my experience)
Old 24-10-2013, 12:49 PM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt006b1198 View Post
Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and am quite new to bonsai growing. I have recently bought a Banyan fig bonsai tree, I was just wondering do they actually produce fruit or is it that just its name?

IF you ever feel confusion about your bonsai tree you can share with us, we will help you as much as possible.