Old 11-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Iris Cohen

Default bonsai help badly

Recently my company purchased a bonsai tree, i dont know anything about
bonsai trees. BRBR
ok well it didnt fare so well in the office, basically the lady taking care
of it had it in the windows facing the brutal sun all day. (office is located
in the us near philadelphia) BRBR
The leaves turned brown, and it doesnt seem to be growing any more.
BRBR

I brought it home to try to save it BRBR
The plant is on an outside deck and gets about 2 or 3 hours of morning sun
BRBR

i think they priced it when they brought it around $1000,

Oh dear, I hope your company is more astute with the rest of its business.
The plant is probably dead. It should never have been place indoors in an
office in the first place. Scratch the bark. If it is green underneath, there
may be hope. What you are doing now is correct, except the misting probably
will not accomplish very much. Do not fertilize it until you see signs of
growth.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 11-07-2003, 05:44 AM
Got2Drink

first thank you for responding.

ill have to check the bark tommorrow. if the bark is green what do i need to
do to make the plant better, should i take off the brown leaves.

i would think also that the plant would be alive because there are some
spots of green- branches of green? am i wrong in this?

by the way how do these plants propagate do they drop seeds or what not?

Old 11-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Shelly Hurd

Hi Got2,

I still need a better ID on the tree. Sounds like it's a deciduous tree
(you know, leaves and all), but your first post isn't clear. Do you know
for sure what it is? If it's a conifer it might be toast already. Also,
tell us a bit about the container it is in, and the soil. It sounds like
you are watering correctly, but since you say the tree is BIG, I begin to
wonder if the soil may be holding too much water, which will cause you no
end of grief.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 11-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Got2Drink

It's actually a conifer, im not sure what type of soil it is, basically the
pot is fairly large, about the size of a plate, about 4 or 5 inches high.
the soil also some sort of peat moss on top. i think its a juniper tree.
actually it has been looking better but i havent rubbed the bark.

Old 11-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Shelly Hurd

Got2,
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. If it is indeed a juniper, I think you
may be over watering. Not good. Juniper like dry feet. You only want to
water when the soil gets dry. Use a stick (here we call this method the
persiano-pick), Popsicle will do fine, stick it into the soil between the
edge of the pot and the trunk of your tree at least 3/4s the depth of the
pot. Pull it our daily and rub the dirty end on your forearm. If it's wet
(or beyond damp) DON'T WATER. If it is just damp or dry, WATER.

Let's see if we can figure out the soil. When you water does the water pool
on top, and then slowly seep into the pot eventually draining out the
bottom? Or, does it run through the pot and drain out almost as fast as you
put it on?

Peat moss?? You sure? Some bonsai soils are good for growing moss on, some
are not. Moss is usually just for looks and can cause watering problems, or
moisture retention problems with some soils/trees. Can you pull up a chunk?
Does it have roots, or does it look like it's just sitting there? Check it
out if you want.

Now the bad news. Think Christmas tree. Think how long it stays green
after it's been chopped down, shipped, and stuck in an unfriendly
environment. It's still beyond saving.

Check the cambium (scratch test) and get back to us. Oh, how about giving
me a real name to work with.

Old 11-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Got2Drink

Thanks shelly,

u can call me mike. i was told its called spagnum moss, if thats the correct
spelling.

the water basically drains out the bottom right away.

i will do the scratch test and let you know, also about the x-mas tree
thing, i understand but it just seems the plant is getting better (greener),
but ill let you know.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Theo

but what species is it? what kind of tree Maple Elm Murraya Relkova could you
describe leaves and what looks wrong with it before continuing fertilizer and
stop giving it immediately ! if it is sick is killing him
Theo

--

Think like an Alien and visit your own Planet
Theo

Old 12-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Got2Drink

scratched the bark away no green i guess its dead oh well. thanks for all
the help.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:37 AM
Got2Drink

Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Shelly Hurd

Mike,

All may not be lost yet . . . bonsai it an act of patience, if nothing else.

Some junipers show a dull red color under their bark at the cambium level
instead of green.

Have patience, keep the tree where you have it (only a couple hours of
morning sun a day), water ONLY when it needs it (use the stick I told you
about), and give it a month. If it is already gone to the big bonsai pile in
the sky, waiting a while wont change anything. OTOH, stranger things have
happened to most of us on this list than a tree we thought dead, making a
full recovery.

If all is lost, save the pot. Try again.

"Got2Drink" wrote:

scratched the bark away no green i guess its dead oh well. thanks for all
the help.

Badly sunburned phals JE Timothy Orchids 5 11-05-2005 01:34 PM
[IBC] bonsai help badly Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 12-07-2003 01:46 AM
bansai help badly Got2Drink Bonsai 0 11-07-2003 02:24 AM
Tomatoes and badly placed greenhouse Neil Jones United Kingdom 1 21-04-2003 09:21 PM
Badly weeded area Bobby United Kingdom 5 21-04-2003 02:33 PM