Old 23-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] brown edges on azalea flowers.....why?

Old 23-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Shelly Hurd

I'm with Nina here, sounds like water. But . . .
I assume this is a bonsai, and isn't a "-Second- flowering event" asking a lot from this tree? Even if you are super feeding it, that has to be a drain on it's strength.
That said (asked), understand that _I_ don't have any azalea's in pots.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 23-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Rodger Kessler

hi Yet another new question. I have 2 dawn redwoods, and have been working
on them for 2-3 years with good success. Last fall, I wired one of them
completely. Both set in my garage from frost (mid September in Vermont) till
about November when they went into a cold greenhouse. The garage certainly
dipped below freezing.
THe one that was wired, has off color(not brown) leaves, and no new growth.
The other is vibrantly green, and already has new growth. I was wondering if
anyone had ideas of what might have happened(frost???0 and what I might do.
It is a great gnarly trunk, and I want ot do what I need to do.
Thanks Rodger Kessler(zone3/4)

Old 23-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Marty Haber

I'm in zone 7, so the care of Dawn Redwood may be different from where you
are. In this area the species loses its needles completely in winter and
grows new ones every spring. Try opening one of the little buds on a branch
and see if there is green inside. If so, your tree is OK. If not, wait
until spring and have another look. this species is pretty cold resistant.
Good luck!
Marty

Old 23-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Marty Haber

Yes - I remember Ben Oki saying that, when azaleas are in bloom, keep water
off the blossoms. How one does this, if he/she has 50 azaleas, is another
thing to think about.
Marty

Old 23-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Alan Walker

Marty: It's not that water cannot touch the blooms, but they should not
stay wet. Good air circulation is the key to keeping the blooms dry.
Another reason to design your bonsai with "spaces for the birds to fly
through." That, and not crowding your benches with too many trees, etc.

Alan Walker
As a plant pathologist, I'd opt for your second guess. If you had a
lot
of rain and your tree is in a spot where it doesn't get good air
circulation, it is susceptible to Botrytis flower blight. Botrytis is
ubiquitous, so the only way to avoid it is to change environmental
conditions (you can use fungicides, but they don't give good coverage on
quickly-opening parts like buds and flowers.
Nina Shishkoff
But, when they open (before they are fully open) the edges of the
flowers are turning brown and ruining the image. Or, they may have

Old 24-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Tony Charles

Thanks all for your replies. I have learnt a lot. I do live in a very
humid part of Oz too, so I guess with the rain and high heat the flowers may
have suffered a bit.

Shelly Hurd wrote:

" I assume this is a bonsai, and isn't a "-Second- flowering event" asking
a lot from this tree? Even if you are super feeding it, that has to be a
drain on it's strength.

Well, it's a potensai - I'm still training it and will pot to a bonsai pot
next year. It only had a few flowers (2 or 3) in early spring - I can see
about 5 or 6 flowers beginning to open now. The azalea is quite young
still.

Thanks again

Tony Charles

Old 17-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered User

As a plant pathologist, I choose your second guess. If you have a lot of rain, your tree is in one place, it does not get good air circulation, it is susceptible to Botrytis flower blight. Botrytis cinerea is a ubiquitous, so the only way to avoid it is for C Welding environmental conditions (you can use fungicides, but they do not provide good coverage of the rapid opening up parts like buds and flowers.
Pond Pumps