Old 09-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Jim Dantin

Default [IBC] FW: Turface

Oops -- hit "send" too soon, sorry.

Check out Turface's website
http://www.profileproducts.com/productinfo_turface.html to get some
ideas on the range of products and who might use them. A key here is the
fact that some of their products are aimed at athletic field
maintenance. Check with local schools, sports facilities, or with
companies that do grounds maintenance. They are all using the stuff by
the ton. You have to talk their language -- "field conditioner" -- not
"bonsai soil".

Your goal should be to find a local distributor who might stock it, and
then try to get them to sell you a couple bags. The biggest part of the
cost is from shipping -- truckload quantities only cost pennies per
pound to ship. I bought a couple bags of Mulemix directly from their
headquarters location in Columbia Tennessee - the cost was $3.50 per 50#
bag!

There are other brand names of similar material.
http://www.diamondpro.com/bags.html
http://www.mulemix.com/conditioners.htm
http://www.oildri.com/agri/turf.htm
http://www.proschoice1.com

The problem I have is finding suitable material for the non-organic,
non-water absorbing, component -- "course sand". In my area, I can
easily find particle sizes that are under 1/16" inch (too small), or
over 1/4" (too big). No one seems to have anything in the 1/8" to 3/16"
range. Ideas anyone?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

I have found Turface products at LESCO which supplies golf course in my area.
I don't know how widespread they are but I think LESCO covers the Southeast
and maybe national.

However, Lessee's price was twice the price charged by a commercial growers
supply in Apopka, FL called BWI and I know they haveoutlets all over the
Southeast.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Dave G

I was able to buy Turface from my local Agway store. They didn't have it in
stock but they do carry it and the manager was very nice about ordering me a
bag

Dave G
CT Zone 6

[IBC] Soil Compaction (Was: [IBC] Turface MVP) Michael Persiano Bonsai 1 03-08-2004 07:29 PM
[IBC] Question- buying Turface in Canada Schatzi Sarceno Bonsai 4 30-05-2004 04:02 PM
[IBC] Turface Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 09-05-2004 01:03 AM
[IBC] Turface MVP Screened John NJ Bonsai 5 26-04-2003 08:32 PM
[IBC] Turface or Terragreen Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 04-03-2003 04:51 PM