Old 17-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Juniper not looking so hot

The menacing last line of your post seems like a warning not to go to your
site or open any files from you! I don't recommend that any other list
members do this either.
Alan Walker

Old 17-05-2004, 05:12 AM
Codswallop

On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:11:47 GMT, Alan Walker wrote in rec.arts.bonsai:

The menacing last line of your post seems like a warning not to go to
your site or open any files from you! I don't recommend that any other
list members do this either.

Alan, I am a contributor in other, more "flame happy" groups. Pay the
final line in the .sig no mind.

I lost my first bonsai (a Cypress(sp?) and a Juniper) a couple of years
back due to sunburn and this Juniper is my first venture back into the
world of bonsai.

I would be grateful for some assistance.

Old 17-05-2004, 05:06 PM
kevin bailey

It sounds like you are overwatering. Junipers like to almost dry out
below the surface between waterings. Check the archives for "Persiano
pick" method, or "chopstick" for tips on how to do this effectively.

If parts are already brown, it is probably dead. Sorry :-(

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Bill Watkins

Older foliage on Junipers will sometimes turn brown however, this Juniper
doesn't look that old and appears to be very healthy. It is not turning
that dull green/gray color that Junipers will turn when they are dying.
This Juniper seems to be pretty dense which may be shading some of the
foliage from the sun which will cause dye back on some of the foliage
underneath. Are the rocks etc. glued in? If so you will probably need to
remove all of that glued stuff and replace with some loose covering
similar to what is on top of it now. If the pot has regular potting soil
in it you may want to repot with a bonsai soil that is more porous. All
of this will make watering easier. Also Kevins advice on watering is good
plus it sounds like you may be overwatering the tree.

Bill Watkins

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-05-2004, 03:21 AM
Codswallop

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:17:02 GMT, kevin bailey wrote in rec.arts.bonsai:

It sounds like you are overwatering. Junipers like to almost dry out
below the surface between waterings. Check the archives for "Persiano
pick" method, or "chopstick" for tips on how to do this effectively.

Yeah, I'd tried the "chopstick" method (actually, just with a toothpick,
which was probably a bit small) but since it's been getting colder it
was a bit hard to determine whether the pick was wet or simply cold.

If parts are already brown, it is probably dead. Sorry :-(

That's what I thought. The needles are slightly "prickly" but aren't
too shiny; I've read that prickly and shiny needles on a juniper
indicate it's stressed -- is this correct?

Old 18-05-2004, 03:21 AM
Codswallop

On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:46:06 GMT, Bill Watkins wrote in rec.arts.bonsai:

Older foliage on Junipers will sometimes turn brown however, this
Juniper doesn't look that old and appears to be very healthy.

I was wondering whether that was the case -- is it common for old
foliage to turn brown, become brittle and fall off?

If so, should I try to remove as much of the dead foliage as possible or
does it make no difference?

It is not turning that dull green/gray color that Junipers will turn
when they are dying. This Juniper seems to be pretty dense which may
be shading some of the foliage from the sun which will cause dye back
on some of the foliage underneath.

I've noticed that it's quite dense. Since the tree is so young (not
really sure how to tell it's age, though) I thought it best to let it
grow however it wants until around Spring where I'll cut it back a bit.
I was thinking about beginning wiring then but am still trying to
determine whether the tree is too young.

Is this an appropriate approach to take?

Are the rocks etc. glued in? If so you will probably need to remove
all of that glued stuff and replace with some loose covering similar
to what is on top of it now.

No, the rocks aren't glued in. To be honest, I've not found any store
in Australia that sells glued rocks. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong
places.

This tree was purchased from a bonsai-only nursery, and not in a
shopping centre.

If the pot has regular potting soil in it you may want to repot with a
bonsai soil that is more porous. All of this will make watering
easier. Also Kevins advice on watering is good plus it sounds like you
may be overwatering the tree.

How can I tell whether the soil is "regular" soil or "bonsai" soil?
Also, we're just going into winter, should I repot now or wait 'til
Spring?

I think I shall most definitely cut down on the tree's watering; it
wasn't watered this morning but it's been raining all night!

Thanks for the assistance Kevin & Bill. I'm not much of a green thumb
but I'm trying!

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 12:38 PM
Juniper not looking so hot Codswallop Bonsai 0 17-05-2004 03:11 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mchiper Lawns 0 01-09-2003 11:22 PM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, mone [email protected] Lawns 0 24-08-2003 11:43 AM