Old 23-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Alan Zucker

Default [IBC] ****Hey! I thought I lived in FLORIDA!

Why would you need to bring in the azalea and trident maple? On Long Island
I keep them out healed in with mulch in a location protected from the wind.
Have not had any causualties in previous years.

Alan Zucker zone 6b
You're never to old to learn. You can learn from both beginner and expert.

From: Jim Lewis
Subject: [IBC] ****Hey! I thought I lived in FLORIDA!
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:09:56 -0500

Well, I finally will have to do it. Eight or ten of my trees
will be coming inside for the next 2 nights -- 5 azalea, a
boxwood, a couple of crape myrtle, a Podocarpus, maybe a trident,
and maybe a pomegranate.

The rest stay outside -- the mame and smaller shohin covered with
about 2 feet of old hay, and the rest (Chinese elm, various
hornbeam, Osage oranges, junipers, pears and apples, red maples,
etc.) putting Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to the test ;-)
. I may leave my sprinklers on all night -- in which case look
for some pics of icy and icicled bonsai in the gallery this
weekend.

Our temps are supposed to drop into the single digits tonight and
low pre-teens tomorrow night. Wind chill (which the trees don't
mind or care about, but _I_ do) is expected to be zero or below.

There's no escape. It's supposed to drop into freezing temps
almost down to the Florida Keys tonight. You folks with outdoor
tropicals, take care!

And yeah, I know it's colder in lots of other places . . . but
you are supposed to be adapted and ready for it.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Our life is
David Thoreau - Walden

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Jim Lewis

Why would you need to bring in the azalea and trident maple?
On Long Island
I keep them out healed in with mulch in a location protected

from the wind.
Have not had any causualties in previous years.

Yeah, I could do that, but with these kinds of temps so rare
hereabouts, and the trees not acclimatized for sudden ups and
downs of temperature, I don't have an area where they can be
heeled in easily. Last weekend, temps went into the low 20s and
I had them under hay and they did fine.

It's just better to be safe than sorry -- or so I think.

I've lost tridents from sudden 18-degree temps.