Old 06-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Carol Schroeder

Default [IBC] Wintering Bonsai

Hello All,

Here in eastern Maryland it's a common practice to winterize our
bonsais by putting them in the ground up to the rim of the pot or on the
ground. In both cases leaves are mounded around the trees as added
protection. This month I am having hand surgery and my hand will be in
a splint for the following 6 to 8 weeks. I will be unable to winterize
my trees in the usual way. I am wondering if an acceptable alternative
would be to bury the trees in the ground by the middle of October
(before the hand surgery). Does this sound reasonable to you all? Or
is there a better alternative I haven't considered?

With thanks,

Carol Schroeder
Maryland, zone 6/7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Marty Haber

Sorry to hear about the hand surgery, Carol. Yes, your trees may be buried
in the manner described. The only reasons for not burying them early a
1. To prevent borers and slugs from imbedding themselves in the roots, and
2. To better harden-off the trees for the winter. May this be the least of
your problems!
Marty

Here in eastern Maryland it's a common practice to winterize our
bonsais by putting them in the ground up to the rim of the pot or on the
ground. In both cases leaves are mounded around the trees as added
protection. This month I am having hand surgery and my hand will be in
a splint for the following 6 to 8 weeks. I will be unable to winterize
my trees in the usual way. I am wondering if an acceptable alternative
would be to bury the trees in the ground by the middle of October
(before the hand surgery). Does this sound reasonable to you all? Or
is there a better alternative I haven't considered?

With thanks,

Carol Schroeder
Maryland, zone 6/7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Anil Kaushik

Carol

I do not know whether it will work at your place or not, but here in
North-West India where the winter temperature drops to 1 or 2 degrees C, we
use clean transparent *Polythene Bags*. The plants which we get from
tropical South India such as Wrightia religiosa, Tamrindus indica etc., are
enclosed in transparent Polythene bags.(after the last watering around early
December). The bag is tightly closed and kept it full light. Not only the
plant survives, but also it keeps on growing though slowly. May be because
of the glass-house effect!. In early spring the plant is removed from the
Bag. Initially we were apprehensive as to how the plant will breath! But
we were surprised to find the plants in excellent condition even after three
months of suffocation. Yes! occasionally there was fungal growth at the
compost or at the trunk, but it never killed any plant. Ensure that the
Polythene Bag is of good quality and not punctured, otherwise the entire
humidity will escape. You can try this method on some ordinary cheap plant.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Old 06-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Michael Persiano

Anil writes:

Ensure that the
Polythene Bag is of good quality and not punctured, otherwise the entire
humidity will escape. You can try this method on some ordinary cheap plant.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Anil:

I do not doubt that this works in your environment and with your indigenous species.

HOWEVER, this is not something that I would recommend for use with hardy species requiring a long period of dormancy. In particular, the clear plastic will result in freeze-thaw cycles if used in the northeastern US. The outcome is almost always root zone damage.

If anyone growing trees requiring dormancy is considering the use of plastic, use white co-poly plastic. This will allow for a mild increase in temperature on cold days, and a slow cool down at night.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 06-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Steve wachs

I am more concerned about my pots than I am about the trees. My trees are doing fine. Its the pots that suffer from sudden temperature changes. I kep trident maples in a greenohouse that is kept slightly above 32* f . If you keep anything outside i would just keep them in an area sheltered from the wind and I would bury the pots in fallen leaves. I would leave the plant exposed , but the pot completely covered. The decomposing leaves should maintain an even temperature around the pot.
The wind does more damage to my conifers than the cold weather. the cold is more damaging to my pots. I care for my trees accordingly

--
SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++