Old 23-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] (Fwd) Trees

From a gardening list I read. I'm adding these to MY (soon-to-
be-published on our website) collection. Oddly, they're _all_
(but one) new to me.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Date sent: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:06:28 -0400
Send reply to: Gardens & Gardening
Subject: Trees

After Justin Peters, a Bruderhof member known for his love of
trees, died recently, teens who knew him compiled these
quotations and shared them at a communal mealtime:

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been
poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot
eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb

What is sour in the house a bracing walk in the woods makes
sweet. - Henry David Thoreau

I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though
they liked it; and, though fast rooted, they travel about as far
as we do. They go wandering forth in all directions with every
wind, going and coming like ourselves, traveling with us around
the sun two million miles a day, and through space?heaven knows
how fast and far! - John Muir

Look at the trees... and if you have eyes you will be able to
see that the whole of their existence is joyful. Trees are
happy for no reason; they are not going to become prime
ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich
and they will never have any bank balance. ? Osho

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is, in the eyes of
others, only a green thing which stands in their way. - William
Blake

Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world. ? John Muir

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day,
he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends
his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making
the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and
enterprising citizen. ? Henry David Thoreau

A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense. - Woody
Allen

Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky. We fell them and
turn them into newspapers that we may record our emptiness. -
Kahlil Gibran

If ever you come upon a grove of ancient trees which have grown
to an exceptional height, shutting out a view of sky by a veil
of pleached and intertwining branches, then the loftiness of the
forest, the seclusion of the spot, and your marvel at the thick
unbroken shade in the midst of the open spaces will prove to you
the presence of deity. - Seneca

Trees sing and dance, and put on bright clothes trying to be
noticed and loved. They do everything we do to git attention. -
Alice Walker

God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease,
avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot
save them from the fools who would cut them down for dance hall
floors. - John Muir (after seeing California?s great sequoia
groves)

Suburbs are places where developers bulldoze out all the trees,
and then name the streets after them. - William Vaughn

He who plants a tree plants a hope. ? Welsh proverb

including setting NOMAIL, DIGEST, and more,
go to
http://www.kiva.net/~dorsettm/notes.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] (Fwd) Trees Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-10-2004 02:03 PM
[IBC] (Fwd) Trees Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-10-2004 02:03 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 0 12-05-2004 06:09 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] desojo maple please help Mark Hill Bonsai 1 09-11-2003 12:22 AM
[Fwd: [Fwd: Science Reporters Don't Notice Conflicts of Interest]] [email protected] sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:25 PM