Old 27-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Plant disease site

While Googling something to help a TX bonsaiest I stumbled
across this plant disease site. It includes nice section of
shrub and tree diseases. I think bonsaiests will find it
useful, but what says Nina??????

http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/default.asp

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Nina

I say Texas AMU has a good, respected plant pathology department, and
that website is very easy to use. However, Northern people should be
clear that a lot of the diseases listed there are SOUTHERN diseases
nobody above the Mason-Dixon line will have to worry about. I always
check disease problems by going to a reliable extension website (I'm
partial to Michigan State University's), getting an overview, and then
checking my own state's extension website. Diseases are often limited
in geographic range and very predictable year to year, and the people
who really have a feel for the diseases of their region are the
Cooperative Extension agents. The problem with bonsai people
consulting them is that we often have really strange species of
ornamentals whose diseases are unknown.

Old 27-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 27, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Nina wrote:

snip

Northern people should be
clear that a lot of the diseases listed there are SOUTHERN diseases
nobody above the Mason-Dixon line will have to worry about.

snip

The same is undoubtedly true with pests. In Maryland, for instance,
Anita has struggled for years with bagworms (sp?) on her evergreens,
both bonsai and full-sized. They take needles and build cocoons (I
guess that's what they're called) and they hang like little bags from
the tips of branches. Having grown up in New England and lived there
most of my life other than going to college in the Midwest
(Pennsylvania) and now living on the West Bank (of the Hudson) I never
heard of bagworms and had never seen one.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 27-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Jim Lewis

On 27 Jan 2005 at 12:48, Craig Cowing wrote:

On Jan 27, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Nina wrote:

snip

Northern people should be
clear that a lot of the diseases listed there are SOUTHERN diseases
nobody above the Mason-Dixon line will have to worry about.

snip

The same is undoubtedly true with pests.

Sure. But less so. We don't have the bug-killing winters down
here, so we have more bugs. We don't have that many DIFFERENT
bugs. (South Florida, which may have Caribbean bugs, is
probably different.)

We've got everything you have (and probably more of them, for
longer in the year), INCLUDING bagworms, which according to my
books are found well into northern Maine (but they're not in the
upper Midwest, California or the Pacific Northwest).

And you DO have a few that we do NOT have -- like Japanese
beetles.

Fungal (and other?) plant diseases are more susceptible to
weather and climate than insects which can crawl, fly or cocoon
themselves out of the weather.

Old 27-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jan 27, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

Sure. But less so. We don't have the bug-killing winters down
here, so we have more bugs. We don't have that many DIFFERENT
bugs. (South Florida, which may have Caribbean bugs, is
probably different.)

We've got everything you have (and probably more of them, for
longer in the year), INCLUDING bagworms, which according to my
books are found well into northern Maine (but they're not in the
upper Midwest, California or the Pacific Northwest).

I guess the bagworms haven't read your book. I'd never heard of or
seen them until I saw them in Maryland. Has anyone else seen bagworms
in New England?

Anita tells me (at least I think this is what she told me) that the
worms winter over in their cocoons. Most insects that I know of winter
in the ground or under leaves for protection from the cold. Of course
I haven't made a study of this, just casual observation.

I had a mosquito in my office a couple of days ago. They're usually
not very active this time of year. I guess it's kinda hard to lay eggs
in ice.

And you DO have a few that we do NOT have -- like Japanese
beetles.

We've got lots of those. Want some?

Old 28-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Alan Walker

We had bagworms in the upper Midwest when I was growing
up in Illinois. Lots of them.

Alan Walker

[...]

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL