Old 30-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Michael Cameron

Default bonsai from seed

Hi there,

This is my first post, so we'll see how this goes.

I want to start some seeds, but I am concerned about the sprouts damping off
and dying on me. Is there something I can do to help avoid this? The seeds
I am going to plant a

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria), and Wisteria sinensis Alba (White
Wisteria). I think they look beautiful and would really like to try
growing them. Are there any special instructions that apply to treating
the seeds to get them to germinate?

I know starting from seeds is a slow process, that's fine. I have 2 other
trees that I have growing, and 2 cuttings I'm taking this spring.

Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Happy Bonsai, from Loretto (north of Toronto), Ontario, Canada.
Old 30-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Theo

Michael Cameron wrote:

Hi there,

This is my first post, so we'll see how this goes.

I want to start some seeds, but I am concerned about the sprouts damping off
and dying on me. Is there something I can do to help avoid this? The seeds
I am going to plant a

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria), and Wisteria sinensis Alba (White
Wisteria). I think they look beautiful and would really like to try
growing them. Are there any special instructions that apply to treating
the seeds to get them to germinate?

I know starting from seeds is a slow process, that's fine. I have 2 other
trees that I have growing, and 2 cuttings I'm taking this spring.

Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Happy Bonsai, from Loretto (north of Toronto), Ontario, Canada.

I gues your climate is not the best one for these seeds
and you are far too early in the season
secondly seeds are often weak and are attacked by a lot of pests and
only few survive
third this is why a grafted plant or an adult forom nursery is
generally more strong to survive
forth some seeds as impollinated with whatever have some glitches and
do not germinate properly
Winsteria is not a native from Canada so I guess more hard to
germinate and survive in a such cold climate

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 30-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Marty Haber

Start with a sterilized soil base, i.e. Perlite. If you have the time, you
could use builder's sand (coarse), but you'll need to sterilize it in your
oven. Once your seeds start to grow and you want to transplant them, Use a
pencil to ease the roots out. Don't just pull them out. Try not to touch
the stems. If you must touch the seedlings, hold them by the leaves.
This is my first post, so we'll see how this goes.

I want to start some seeds, but I am concerned about the sprouts damping
off
and dying on me. Is there something I can do to help avoid this? The
seeds
I am going to plant a

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria), and Wisteria sinensis Alba (White
Wisteria). I think they look beautiful and would really like to try
growing them. Are there any special instructions that apply to treating
the seeds to get them to germinate?

I know starting from seeds is a slow process, that's fine. I have 2 other
trees that I have growing, and 2 cuttings I'm taking this spring.

Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Happy Bonsai, from Loretto (north of Toronto), Ontario, Canada.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Jim Lewis

On 30 Jan 2005 at 16:15, Marty Haber wrote:

Start with a sterilized soil base, i.e. Perlite. If you have

the time, you
could use builder's sand (coarse), but you'll need to

sterilize it in your
oven. Once your seeds start to grow and you want to

transplant them, Use a
pencil to ease the roots out. Don't just pull them out. Try

not to touch
the stems. If you must touch the seedlings, hold them by the

leaves.

======
In addition to Marty's advice, I'd add that _I_ have had
difficulty getting wisteria seeds to germinate (not that I've
tried that many).

Dirr says if seeds are dry and hard, soaking them in water for
24 hours is best (so maybe that's my problem). he says they
germinate readily. I dunno about Alba; I think the white
wisteria aren't very attractive.

I don't know where you are going to grow them up there; they
won't survive outdoors and probably will do poorly (and will
never bloom) indoors. But it will be at LEAST 10 years before a
wisteria-from-seed even thinks about blooming, anyway.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 31-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Michael Cameron wrote:
[...]

I had good growing Wisteria from seeds. What I did was roll up some
filter paper with the seeds between the layers, and stick one end of it
into a narrow tube of water. After a good root shot out of it, I
planted it in dirt.

I can't tell you how a Wisteria will do in your climate. I've heard
that they don't flower for around 5 years after you plant them, so plan
on being patient.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Jim Lewis

On 31 Jan 2005 at 15:40, Scooter the Mighty wrote:

Michael Cameron wrote:

I know starting from seeds is a slow process, that's fine. I have 2

other
trees that I have growing, and 2 cuttings I'm taking this spring.

Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Happy Bonsai, from Loretto (north of Toronto), Ontario, Canada.

I had good growing Wisteria from seeds. What I did was roll up some
filter paper with the seeds between the layers, and stick one end of it
into a narrow tube of water. After a good root shot out of it, I
planted it in dirt.

I can't tell you how a Wisteria will do in your climate. I've heard
that they don't flower for around 5 years after you plant them, so plan
on being patient.

Make that 10 years, if then. So plan on being VERY patient. ;-
)

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Theo

figaro wrote:

I can't tell you how a Wisteria will do in your climate. I've heard
that they don't flower for around 5 years after you plant them, so plan
on being patient.

Make that 10 years, if then. So plan on being VERY patient. ;-
)

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

I know that experiences vary on this and to say "10 years, if then" is only
going to discourage people who may have a better experience than you.

I happen to have a Wisteria sinensis that I started from seed and it had its
first bloom at 6 inches tall and a grand old age of 5 years old. Last year
it turned 6 and bloomed once in the spring and once in the late summer. I
have kept the pot small and this seems to work very well.

yes teher are two things with winsteria
to keep the roots *in small* containers and thirsty it a little
before blooming season I had one
grafted many years ago and I do not remember what I did with :-) but I
kept for 2 years and than got bored

Because of this,
I have not had to prune it AT ALL and it is forming a nice windswept style
at this point at about 8 inches tall with three well places branches. I am
very excited about the future of this plant and encourage ANYONE to try
Wisteria from seed.