Old 08-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Sam Williams

Default [IBC] Kingsville Boxwood care

hello to all,

I have my first kingsville, God willing this will eventually be show
quality! Anyway, I would like to see if there are any good sites out there
with a good amount of useful information on Kingsville Boxwood care. I
haven't had it long, I think I got it in October, so I really dont have any
book knowledge on them. I was hoping for possibly an article online or a
good site with more than just a paragraph of info. Or, if yall would like to
inspire me with your success and how you care for yours, that would also be
greatly appreciated!
Sam
( central, Virginia....zone 6b-7a)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Jim Lewis

hello to all,

I have my first kingsville, God willing this will

eventually be show
quality! Anyway, I would like to see if there are any good

sites out there
with a good amount of useful information on Kingsville Boxwood

care. I
haven't had it long, I think I got it in October, so I really

dont have any
book knowledge on them. I was hoping for possibly an article

online or a
good site with more than just a paragraph of info. Or, if yall

would like to
inspire me with your success and how you care for yours, that

would also be
greatly appreciated!
Sam

Well Sam, if you can drag yourself from your computer, there are
a few nice print (remember books and magazines?) sources. Bonsai
Today #25 is good, Bonsai Magazine (BCI) for March 2002 is
excellent, and Bonsai Journal (ABS) for Winter 2002 all have
articles on boxwood. The topic also is covered in Harry
Tomlinson's book (page 189), and in Gordon Owen's "Growing
Classic Bonsai," and elsewhere. It is quite common as a bonsai.

They're remarkable easy to grow -- if a bit slow. Don't overdo
root work at any one time, and do not overwater.

These are hedge plants (do they even exist in the wild
anywhere???) and can take an amazing amount of abuse in the way
of trimming, drought, and sunlight.

Wire in the winter!

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Sam Williams

Hey,

I don't have bonsai today, but I know my club does. I cant get hold
of those until the end of the month when our club meets. SO I have no choice
but to go to the computer for my information on bonsai. So I need to wire
NOW? Re-pot the end of this month and prune when? I know there are a lot of
articles out there on other species, and this is fairly common, but why the
lack of info online? thanx for the reply!

Sam

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-03-2003, 01:33 AM
Jim Lewis

Hey,

I don't have bonsai today, but I know my club does. I

cant get hold
of those until the end of the month when our club meets. SO I

have no choice
but to go to the computer for my information on bonsai. So I

need to wire
NOW? Re-pot the end of this month and prune when? I know

there are a lot of
articles out there on other species, and this is fairly common,

but why the
lack of info online? thanx for the reply!

Sam

Sam, have you done a search -- Google, etc.? Tried the BCI
site's species guide? There may NOT be a lack of info. I'm
certain that Sabrina's species guide covered Buxus.

I can't believe that you can't call someone in your club to get a
copy of the issue; if you can't, your club needs to have some
detailed discussions about club services.

No. You do NOT need to wire now. I said WINTER.

Repot at the same time you repot any other temperate-zone tree --
when it starts to leaf out. Prune? I got the impression this
was an already-bonsaied tree -- a future prize winner, or
something like that. Pinch new growth as needed. If it is still
a potensai, prune when you repot -- as with most other temperate
zone plants.

The Lord helps those who help themselves -- or something like
that.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 08-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Ben Griffin

Jim why do you say wire in the winter ive always done
my kingsvilles in early spring. I only have 2
kingsvilles one i just got this past october, the
other ive removed 1/4 of the roots for the past 3
years and this year it will finally be ready for a
bonsai pot. I have heard of people removing even half
of the root ball with no problem but i haven't been
gutsy enough to try. My kingsvilles spent the winter
outside this year "their first winter outside". They
seemed to really enjoy the rest and are beginning to
grow just this past week.

Ben

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim why do you say wire in the winter ive always done
my kingsvilles in early spring. I only have 2
kingsvilles one i just got this past october, the
other ive removed 1/4 of the roots for the past 3
years and this year it will finally be ready for a
bonsai pot. I have heard of people removing even half
of the root ball with no problem but i haven't been
gutsy enough to try. My kingsvilles spent the winter
outside this year "their first winter outside". They
seemed to really enjoy the rest and are beginning to
grow just this past week.

That's how I was taught. I wire VERY few trees in the spring.
It's when they are growing at their fastest and you are just
asking to have wire cut into the bark of something. I do
boxwoods in mid fall, and keep the wires on until new green shows
in the early spring, when I cut the wire away. For boxwoods, I
pinch (heavily) and prune (lightly, and only where I suddenly
decide it's needed) through the growing season.

Thinking about it, I don't have wire on anything right now while
growth goes rampant. I rushed out into the rain, swam out to my
bonsai table, and brought in and de-wired the last hophornbeam
yesterday.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Kingsville (Was: [IBC] The Need to Feed (Was [IBC] Shimpaku Juniper) Michael Persiano Bonsai 2 31-08-2004 07:05 PM
Kingsville Boxwood John O Bonsai 2 26-07-2004 03:02 AM
[IBC] Kingsville Boxwood [email protected] Bonsai 4 25-07-2004 02:02 PM
[IBC] Kingsville Boxwood and Japanese Black Pine in Winter Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 6 21-10-2003 04:12 AM
[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 02:08 AM