Lettuce in a box

Old 24-01-2006, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Lettuce in a box

I have a few lettuces growing in an old dishpan in a glassed-in porch.
The dishpan is about 9" x 14" x 4" and it has half a dozen small
mesclun-type lettuces in it. They grow about fast enough in short
winter days on a chilly porch for a small green salad for two every
week or two. I'd like to increase the production next winter by placing
a large, plastic-lined box on the patio table, aiming at about four
times the surface area and two or three generous salads a week. Does
anyone have any ideas on how deep my box must be? I'd like to minimize
the weight on the table but not make the box so shallow that it won't
grow healthy lettuce.

Kathy

Old 24-01-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Kathy wrote:
I have a few lettuces growing in an old dishpan in a glassed-in porch.
The dishpan is about 9" x 14" x 4" and it has half a dozen small
mesclun-type lettuces in it. They grow about fast enough in short
winter days on a chilly porch for a small green salad for two every
week or two. I'd like to increase the production next winter by placing
a large, plastic-lined box on the patio table, aiming at about four
times the surface area and two or three generous salads a week. Does
anyone have any ideas on how deep my box must be? I'd like to minimize
the weight on the table but not make the box so shallow that it won't
grow healthy lettuce.

I grew lettuce successfully in patio planter boxes that were no more
than 6" deep. -aem

Old 24-01-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Success doesn't depend on the depth of the container, but rather temp, water
and fertilizer. I grew many kinds of lettuce in the greenhouse in a couple
of 8 ft sections of plastic gutter. Put a small layer of gravel in the
bottom and fill with potting mix. Either predrill holes in the bottom for
drainage or install a small section of downspout in the center that runs to
a bucket. Put caps on the ends. The gutter can be cut to any size and can be
hung or set up like a window box on the porch. You can expand the setup to
your liking.
Gary

"Kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a few lettuces growing in an old dishpan in a glassed-in porch.
The dishpan is about 9" x 14" x 4" and it has half a dozen small
mesclun-type lettuces in it. They grow about fast enough in short
winter days on a chilly porch for a small green salad for two every
week or two. I'd like to increase the production next winter by placing
a large, plastic-lined box on the patio table, aiming at about four
times the surface area and two or three generous salads a week. Does
anyone have any ideas on how deep my box must be? I'd like to minimize
the weight on the table but not make the box so shallow that it won't
grow healthy lettuce.

Kathy

early lettuce Dennis Edward Edible Gardening 4 14-12-2005 12:52 AM
Yellowing water lettuce Elaine T Ponds 2 16-07-2005 03:25 AM
What can I plant after lettuce bolts? PatK Gardening 16 14-07-2005 04:24 AM
why my lettuce is almost 2 feet long info Gardening 5 07-03-2003 10:20 PM
Sparrows Devouring Lettuce Plants! Fleemo Gardening 21 01-03-2003 06:03 PM