Old 26-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Donna in Idaho!

Default Cucumbers?

We have bought English cucumbers at the super market & really like them, but
don't find them in the seed catalogs. Burpees has about 50 different
cucumbers, but none of them are listed as English.
Any suggestions?
--
Donna in Idaho!
SW Idaho Project Linus Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old 26-03-2003, 08:32 AM
rosemarie face

they are greenhouse cucumbers only ... as far as I know .
Rosie z5

Old 26-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 05:51:26 GMT, "Donna in Idaho!"
wrote:

We have bought English cucumbers at the super market & really like them, but
don't find them in the seed catalogs. Burpees has about 50 different
cucumbers, but none of them are listed as English.
Any suggestions?

Thompson & Morgan probably carry them. They're a British
seed company, also selling in the USA.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com

But it is my understanding that they require a longer
frost-free season than we have in most of the USA and can
only be grown in greenhouses in many areas of the USA.

(If I'm mistaken about this, someone please correct me?)

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 26-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:56:51 +0100, "rmw"
wrote:

Hi All.

what do you mean by English cucumbers ?. hear are some varieties from a
Marshalls catalouge. U. K. see if any ring a bell. green house. Athene,
tyria, Saladin, and Ilas. out door. Gracius, Burpless Tasty Green and
Marketmore. Gherkin. Bimbostar. I hope this is of some help to you.

I'll translate. My husband's English, I'm American.

The cucumbers in this country are shorter, fatter, and have
more seeds. My husband had never seen cucumbers such as are
commonly available and grown in the USA until he emigrated
here. These are cheap to buy he sometimes as low as
three of them for $1.00. They're easy to grow here too.

Our stores do sell what we call 'English cucumbers' - My
husband says that they are the typical cucumber as sold in
the UK. They're expensive here, usually $2 or more EACH.

But I believe they can only be grown in greenhouses in most
of the USA, that they need a longer growing season than we
can provide in most areas of the USA.

Pat
Old 26-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Raffi Kojian

We have bought English cucumbers at the super market & really like them, but
don't find them in the seed catalogs. Burpees has about 50 different
cucumbers, but none of them are listed as English.
Any suggestions?

Why don't you try Armenian cucumbers? Those are, like the English
(hothouse) cukes, longer, thinner, virtually no seeds (when picked at up to
a foot long), never bitter, and you don't peel them, they have no real skin
(you have to see one to understand what I mean). I am quite surprised they
are not much more widely grown...

----------------
n_w$$h
http://www.cilicia.com

Old 26-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Mary McHugh

Pat Meadows wrote:

But it is my understanding that they require a longer
frost-free season than we have in most of the USA and can
only be grown in greenhouses in many areas of the USA.

(If I'm mistaken about this, someone please correct me?)

I dunno about the longer frost-free season but it's my impression that most of
the "English" cukes sold here (at least on the right coast) are grown in
greenhouses in Canada.

Mary

Old 27-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Donna in Idaho!

We've planted Armenian cucumbers for years. A couple years ago while
driving the Alaska Highway up through Canada, we found the English cucumbers
in the super mkts in Canada and in Alaska & really liked them. My husband
thought he would like to try growing them. I actually like the Armenians as
well as the English, except for the fact that they're like zucchinis - you
can't keep up with them!