Old 31-03-2003, 03:08 AM
G0789

Default Amish Paste

I was wondering if anyone has had luck,good or bad with Amish paste tomatoes

Thanks
Old 31-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Tim B

There's a review in, I believe OG from sometime last year, saying they
weren't one of the top choices but were not bad nonetheless.

They produced well for me last year, a much-too-wet then much-too-dry
summer. We used them up in all the likely ways with success.

Old 02-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Zphysics1

I was wondering if anyone has had luck,good or bad with Amish paste tomatoes

Thanks

-- Tasted like paste. Won't grow them again.

/z.

Old 05-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Bob Buckingham

They are a good paste tomato, but tended to be disease prone. Late
blight was a problem I had with them. They need lots of water as all
tomatoes do, but they need it more evenly than some other varieties.
Not a bad tasting tomato and they can well.

RCB

Old 07-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Setzler

It sounds to me like the ones you are growing are what I call Super Italian
Paste. The Amish Paste I grew are more of the pear shape, or "Roma" shape. I
love the S. I. P's too!! I agree that the Amish Paste are a bit disease prone,
especially to Late Blight.

susan

Romayne Naylor wrote:

On 31 Mar 2003 01:05:05 GMT, (G0789) wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has had luck,good or bad with Amish paste tomatoes

Thanks

In my Zone 5, central PA garden I am still growing a type of Amish
paste tomatoes my grandfather grew. He died in 1989, just as his
tomatoes were ripening. I harvested and canned them, saving some
seeds. He always called them "German Bottle Tomatoes," but they are
what the local Amish are growing. They are long and cylindrical, with
a slightly bent, pointed tip. Is that what you mean?

They are very fleshy. I find them to make a nice, thick, flavorful
sauce and, if you really want to concentrate the flavor, they readily
cook down to a good paste. I also grow Romas, and find they have more
water content, requiring longer cooking to get the right consistency
for either.

I have used both raw in various salads and salsas, or lightly cooked
in fresh pasta sauces with equal success. I've also used both in
canned salsas and find that the Romas make a more liquid product.

I've never had disease problems. As with any tomato, I get the best
results with consistent watering. My garden gets heavy mulch of
chopped leaves and yard debris in the fall, which is topped with the
previous season's compost and turned under before planting each
spring. To conserve water and keep weeds to a minimum, I mulch with
grass clippings. I stake the main stem and still need really
substantial cages to support the branches because they get loaded with
lots of heavy fruit. That's about it for care.

Hope that helps you decide.

Romayne

Old 11-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Guy Bradley

"G0789" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone has had luck,good or bad with Amish paste

tomatoes

Thanks

I grew Amish paste tomatoes last year and had fair luck with them. The
yield wasn't high and many of the fruit were damaged, but the taste
was good, for that type of tomato. The plants lasted well into fall
and grew vigorously.

What I like about them is the size. The tomatoes I got were about 6"
long, weighing about as much as three or four Romas. The shape was
odd, roughly a triangular pyramid with a tapered, curved tip.

However, I'm not growing them again this year, so that says something.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6