Old 31-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Culinary herbFAQ part 2/7

Archive-name: food/culinary-herbs/part2
Posting-Frequency: monthly (on or about 20th)
Last-modified: 14Jun01
Version: 1.17

--------------------------------------
2.4 Chives

Latin name:
Chives: Allium schoenoprasum
Chinese chives: Allium tuberosum

--------------------------------------
2.4.1 Growing chives
--------------------------------------

From: Linda Kovacs (kovacsla.vnet.ibm.com)
I started with a small pot from a discount store, planted it in moderately
poor soil that got about 1/2 day sun. It went crazy! Grew big, made flowers
and seeds, the next year the seeds came up and (repeat previous line over
and over and over ... ). I now have about 6 square feet of chives. I don't
even water them.
After they blossom and the flowers dry, you can collect the drying flowers
and shake out the seeds to plant elsewhere. The blossom stems should be
removed to prevent their being harvested by accident, as they are rather
woody and tough. They'll dry out anyway, and should be removed to keep the
plant looking nice.
A funny thing happened with that first plant. It was next to a rose bush
infested with aphids. When I planted the chives, the aphids disappeared.
Then I got a fruit tree that had problems with aphids. I scattered some
chive seeds, and the aphids disappeared again.
Chives are so easy to grow that I don't think I'll ever be without them
again. To get a start, find some chive seeds or a pot of chives.
To grow them indoors, put on a sunny windowsill and water when the soil
gets a bit dry.

--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Chives are a very hardy perennial of the same genus as onions, leeks and
garlic. It makes a great container plant and does well indoors if given
adequate light. A 5-inch pot of chives should be divided and repotted every
spring if the clump has spread enough.
Chives like rich, moist well-drained soil with a pH between 6 and 8. It
likes full sun but will tolerate partial shade.
The seeds germinate easily in 10 to 12 days, but the plants grow and spread
slowly at first. It is quicker to obtain a division of a clump from
someone. Plant seeds 1/2 inch deep, in small sparse groups spaced about 12
inches apart all around to create clumps quicker, or plant seeds singly.
Clumps grown outdoors should be divided every 3 or 4 years. Chives make a
good companion plant for beets but should not be planted with beans,
carrots, or tomatoes.

--------------------------------------
2.4.2 Harvesting chives
--------------------------------------

From: Linda Kovacs (kovacsla.vnet.ibm.com)
Chives are best harvested with a scissors or sharp knife. Cut the blade as
close to the ground as possible without injuring other blades. It's best to
cut individual blades unless you are shearing the whole plant. This leaves
the newly sprouted blades to grow bigger for your next harvest.
If you're harvesting during or after blooming time, watch out for those
blossom stems. They're tough and woody.
Rinse the blades, gather together in bunches, and cut across with a sharp
knife into the size you need.
When chives are in flower, you can snip off the flowers and use them before
they start to fade.

--------------------------------------

From: unknown
I cut my chives back to the ground about three times each summer. I've
found that this forces them to send up a whole bunch of replacement shoots.
I usually wait to pick a few of the flowers to include in arrangements.

--------------------------------------

My chives are flowering. Should I pinch off the flowers so they will not

start to die for the winter?

From: karyn.siegel-maier.kotl.mhv.net
Chives, if well established in the garden, tend to flower in early spring,
and sometimes again in mid-summer. The chive blossoms make an excellent
vinegar, and can be used in baking if pulled apart. I don't cut my chives
back, but let the seed fall to the ground resulting in more chives the
following year.

--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Cut off stems to about 2 inches tall, to encourage new growth. Stalks that
flower tend to be rather tough and bitter, so it's better to clip off
flower heads as they form, although they are a pleasant lavender color.

--------------------------------------
2.4.3 Using / preserving chives
--------------------------------------

From: Linda Kovacs (kovacsla.vnet.ibm.com)
Chives dry nicely, but lose much of their flavor in the process. If you
want chives in winter, grow a pot on the windowsill.
Chives can be used in any recipe that calls for chopped green onions. This
gives a slightly different, somewhat milder flavor.
Chopped chives make a wonderful addition to salads. I use them instead of
onions when the sweet onions aren't available, because the regular onions
give me terrible heartburn.
Chive flowers are also wonderful in salads. They are both pretty and
delicious, with a peppery-oniony flavor.
Chopped chives are great with potatoes. Baked potatoes with sour cream and
chives is a classic, but you don't need the sour cream. Just baked potatoes
with chives is tasty. Perhaps add a squirt of lemon juice! Also try chopped
chives on top of mashed potatoes, or mixed in.
Chopped chives make a wonderful garnish for almost any non-sweet dish, and
add a mild onion flavor as well.

--------------------------------------

From: mrooney.mrooney.pn.com (Michael Rooney)
It is also possible to make chive pesto.

--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Mix chopped chives into cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, or
butter. They are great with almost every kind of potato dish, and in
salads. Chives is used in vichyssoise, asparagus and cauliflower soups.
They can be used in egg dishes such as deviled eggs, omelets, and scrambled
eggs. The small bulbs of chives can be used in sausage or pickled like
small onions.
Chives are difficult to store dry due to a high moisture retention, but
they can be chopped and frozen to be used as if fresh.

Potato Casserole

8 large potatoes, peeled cut and cooked
8 oz sour cream
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 c chives

Blend all together, and if your family will let you, refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 for 34-40 min or until warmed throughout.
The stem/leaves of chives have high amounts of vitamin A and vitamin C, as
well as some iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, thiamin and
niacin.

--------------------------------------

From jrogow.ridgecrest.ca.us (Judith Rogow):

Chive Vinegar

When your chives (esp. garlic chives, yummmmmy) are in bloom take four or
five of the prettiest stalks w/heads and put them in a clear jar, cover
w/white vinegar, cover, and stand in a dark cupboard for about a week. You
will have pinkish vinegar w/a heavenly flavour. DO, however, watch out that
the stalks do not have ants!

--------------------------------------
2.5 Saffron

Latin name: Crocus sativus.

--------------------------------------
2.5.1 Growing saffron
--------------------------------------

From: rnold.sanewssa.mnet.uswest.com (Robert G. Nold)
Crocus sativus comes up and blooms without autumn rain in Denver, and grows
throughout the winter here, too. Like all fall-blooming crocus (of which
there are many species), they go dormant in summer.

--------------------------------------
2.5.2 Harvesting saffron
--------------------------------------

From: kcurr.cyberspace.com (Kaycee Curr):
....it is the threads that you would collect and dry. There are three of
them (the stigmas) per crocus flower. (Over a million crocus flowers
produce a pound of saffron- phew!)

From: lpdavies.bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us (Leslie Paul Davies):
In planning your planting, estimate 6 mature plants will provide the
stigmas for one small recipe.

--------------------------------------
2.5.4 Which saffron do you have?
--------------------------------------

From: chaseway.nbnet.nb.ca (wayne chase):
I have recently heard of a substitute for saffron. Dried Marigolds. Just
air dry well and grind to powder. Use twice the amount of marigold as
saffron to get same result.

--------------------------------------

From: melnick.stsci.edu (Rita Melnick):
Saffron comes from Crocus sativus, the saffron crocus. It is a fall
blooming crocus. Each flower contains 3 red threads (stigma) that you pick,
then dry, for culinary use. Be sure to get ONLY Crocus sativus, not the
other fall-blooming crocuses, as they are NOT edible.

As for the marigolds, I'm not sure if the above advice applies to all
varieties of marigolds, but I do know that it is true of the pot marigold,
also known as Calendula. It gives the yellow coloring of saffron, but not
the saffron taste. Turmeric is also a yellowing substitute for saffron. But
nothing else tastes like saffron!

--------------------------------------
2.6 Zucchini flowers

Latin name: Cucurbita pepo.
You can also use the flowers of other Cucurbita species.

--------------------------------------
2.6.3 Using zucchini flowers
--------------------------------------

From: Joep.reol.com
Zucchini flowers battered and fried are far superior to anything else you
can do with zucchini. Mix water, flour, salt & pepper to a pancake
consistency. If you want a fluffier batter add baking powder. Deep fry and
eat them while hot. Tastes like a hint of Zucchini with creamy texture and
cheese quality. 4 Zucchini plants is 3 too many

--------------------------------------

From: bmilhol.sas.ab.ca (Billie)
I pick them when they are wilted and stuff them with seasoned cooked rice,
put them in a casserole dish with a little seasoned chicken or vegetable
broth and bake. Grate a little cheese on 3 min before taking out of oven.
Beautiful and tasty.

--------------------------------------

From BEAVOMEY.aol.com
Blossoms are excellent stuffed with a goat /cream/or/ricotta-herb stuffing.
Then battered and fried.
Had them at L'Etoile in Madison, WI with squash-goat cheese stuffing and
pumpkin seed oil drizzled over the top. Excellent.

--------------------------------------
2.7 Chamomile

Latin names:
German chamomile: Matricaria recutita (M. chamomilla, Chamomilla recutita)
Pineapple weed: Matricaria matricarioides
Roman Chamomile: Chamaemelum nobile (Anthemis nobilis)
English Chamomile: Chamaemelum nobile 'Treneague'

--------------------------------------
2.7.1 Growing chamomile
--------------------------------------

From: Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu
German chamomile is an annual that reaches 1 to 2 feet tall and is grown
from seed. It prefers a moist sandy soil with a pH between 6 and 8.5, and
full sun. Plant outdoors as early in the spring as possible. If seeds are
planted on June 1, flowers should appear in late July or early August.
Seedlings transplant easily when one to two inches tall.
Center of flower head is hollow.

English chamomile is a low-growing perennial that reaches 1 foot in height,
propagated by seed, cuttings, or root division. It does well in a slightly
acid to neutral soil with good drainage and full sun, but does not do well
in hot, dry weather. Growing English chamomile in rich soil produces
abundant foliage but few flowers.
Center of flower head is solid. Chamomile makes a good companion plant for
broccoli.

--------------------------------------

chamomile as groundcover - any experiences?

Anne_E._Comer.kamilche.wa.com (Anne E. Comer)
Chamomile is not usually the recommended choice for *HUGE* areas. It is
sometimes used in mixtures. By itself it is best used in smallish areas
where there will not be heavy foot traffic. It can stand some walking on
and in fact that is one reason that it is used. When trodden on it releases
a fragrance that is very pleasant to many people.

From: Denise Henry denise.gromet.demon.co.uk
Remember chamomile is not a grass!! This means that selective lawn
weedkillers don't work. Make sure ground is well prepared with no perennial
weeds and keep the site hand weeded in the first year until the plants grow
together, after that you may still need to hand weed two or three times a
year. A chamomile lawn is something special, but you can tell it was
invented by people of a by-gone age with lots of money and a large supply
of garden laborers. Try it in a small area by all means but only if you are
prepared for some hard work.
(PS. I think it is worth the effort.)

--------------------------------------

From: naomib.sco.COM (Naomi Brokaw)
I like it, but it's not as carefree as some make it sound. I planted it
last year (check the sections in the nursery where they sell herbs in
flats). I was worried about mowing it before it got established, so I was
going to wait until the cooler weather. Of course, this year, "cooler
weather" meant about 7 months of rain (I'm just south of you, in Santa
Cruz), so I could mow. The chamomile reached up, up, sending sun-seeking
stems into my lavender, rock roses, rosemary, and yarrow. By the time I
finally found the time and weather to mow, it was way too high, so I had to
clip down by hand. That meant taking out most of the green stems and
leaving the brown mat underneath. However, it did grow back the green
within a few weeks, much faster than I feared.

It also has a tendency to die in patches, leaving brown again. Ugly while
it lasts, but if you pull out the brown, the green will close in again in a
few weeks.

I like the smell, but a lot of people find it cloying. On the other hand,
you only smell it if you walk on it or cut it.

I tried mowing it a couple of weeks ago, with our rotary mower. Only a
partial success. Our mower, which is probably dull, though sharp enough for
the weeds out back, tends to pull up some of the chamomile clumps, instead
of cutting them cleanly.

All in all, I'll use it again, but be aware of the drawbacks before you
embrace it. It's a walkable ground-cover with a pleasant color that is
nowhere near as thirsty as grass. Oh, it doesn't do well in medium to heavy
shade. And bees love the flowers, so if you don't want a lot of bees (I
love them), don't plant a lot of chamomile.

--------------------------------------

From: Kate Borley kab1004.hermes.cam.ac.uk
Chamomile lawns: I saw a chamomile seat in the Cambridge University
Botanical Gardens, it was a stone base with chamomile growing on the top in
a wooden box and a wooden chair back. Apparently the Elizabethans invented
these seats which they liked because a pleasing smell is given off by the
crushed chamomile when the seat is used.

HeK comment: Now I'd like to know how they kept their behinds dry after
watering the chamomile... (biig grin)

--------------------------------------
2.7.2 Harvesting Chamomile
--------------------------------------

From: Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu
Harvest and dry flowers of both species.

--------------------------------------

From hetta.saunalahti.fi (Henriette):
You can pick only the flowers, if you have lots of time. If you have other
things in your garden, too, it's easier to just pick the whole flowering
plant (when in full flower) (I've only done this with German chamomiles,
Matricaria recutita, and don't know how it would work with the Roman ones).
Cut off the root and any brownish parts, and make some bundles. Put them
head-first into large paper bags, one bundle per bag. Cut lots of holes in
the sides of the bags, but make sure to keep the bottoms whole. Hang up to
dry. Now your chamomile will dry (it takes about a week), but you'll still
have all the flowers, which are apt to fall out - they're in the bottom of
your bag, not all over the floor.

When dry, cut stems and all into 1/2-1 inch chunks. The stems are just a
bit weaker in taste/efficacy than the flowers.

And use pineapple weed like you would use German chamomile, they're pretty
close to identical twins, herbal wise.

--------------------------------------
2.7.3 Using / preserving Chamomile
--------------------------------------

From: Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu
Chamomile tea: one pint boiling water to 1/2 ounce flowers, steep 10
minutes. Strain. Add honey, sugar, milk or cream as desired.

Hair rinse: steep dried flowers in hot water, cool infusion. Strain.

--------------------------------------

I've been told that a chamomile infusion used in the hair will bring out

highlights. Does anyone have a recipe for this? Thanks!

From: Graham.fragrant.demon.co.uk (Graham Sorenson)
Two methods come to mind immediately.
One is to get some chamomile tea (loose or bags) and make a strong
infusion. Or about five drops of Chamomile essential oil in a bowl of
water. Then rinse hair with the result leaving for a while before rinsing
out.

From: jrogow.ridgecrest.ca.us (Judith Rogow)
Chamomile Tea - very strong - is a wonderful hair rinse for shine and a
glint of sunlight.

--------------------------------------

From: Annette
.. seeking chamomile recipe for lightening hair..

I'm Annette using another person's number but I thought I'd respond to your
question. Basically, just make a good strong tea with chamomile and put
into a pout where you can stick your head in. Let tea cool for awhile and
then stick your head in (can you read upside down?) and stay for 5-10
minutes, do weekly and hopefully you will see lightening.

Comment from Henriette: You need to strain the liquid _before_ putting your
head in it, for all above methods. Otherwise you'll be occupied for a week
or so, combing out the flowers...

--------------------------------------
2.7.4 Which chamomile do you have?
--------------------------------------

From: Anne_E._Comer.kamilche.wa.com (Anne E. Comer)
The German chamomile, Matricaria recutita is an annual and will reseed
itself. Obviously this means that it flowers. It is probably the best kind
if you want to harvest the flowers for tea.

Roman Chamomile, Chamaemelum nobile, is perennial, probably the most used
form for lawns also flowers.

English Chamomile, Chamaemelum nobile 'Treneague', is non-flowering and is
very good for lawns and pathways but it must be grown from cuttings as
there is no flower, thus no seed.

--------------------------------------
2.8 Coriander/Cilantro/Culantro

Latin name: Coriander/Cilantro: Coriandrum sativum
Culantro / Puerto Rican coriander / Spiny coriander: Eryngium foetidum (see
2.8.4)
Vietnamese coriander: Polygonum odoratum (see 2.8.4)

--------------------------------------
2.8.1 Growing coriander/cilantro
--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Coriander is a hardy, strong smelling annual native to southern Europe. It
may reach up to 4 feet in height when grown outdoors.

Coriander needs full sun and plenty of moisture, and the soil should be
deep, well-drained, moderately rich with a pH between 6 and 8.

Coriander is easily grown from seed, germinating in one or two weeks, and
self sows well in the garden. Plant seeds 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep, and thin
seedlings to 8-12 inches apart. Sow seeds directly into the garden in the
early spring, or into deep pots; coriander does not transplant well due to
its taproot.

--------------------------------------

I've read that the best way to deal with bolting is to do several

plantings over a season.

From: dplatt.ntg.com (Dave Platt)
I would agree.

Start a few cilantro plants each month, harvest the leaves before they
bolt, and then sacrifice most of the plants before they flower. Leave a few
to flower and set seed - the flowers are very attractive to ladybugs, green
lacewings, and other beneficial (predatory) insects.

I've found that having a few cilantro plants flowering around the garden
provides an excellent defense against aphids.

--------------------------------------

Does anyone know what conditions I should avoid to keep the cilantro from

going to seed?

From: unknown
- If you plant the stuff really close together you'll probably get less
bolting.

From: eaplatt.worm.hooked.net (Elizabeth Platt):
Don't let it get too hot--like lettuce, it's sensitive to heat. But,
cilantro is an annual, so most pros advise planting several batches in
succession, so that there's always some that isn't going to seed.

By the way, if you've gotten far along enough to worry about it going to
seed, congratulations. All my cilantro is devoured, pronto, by the slugs
and snails as soon as the first tiny leaves appear. Tastiest seedlings in
the garden....

From: mrooney.mrooney.pn.com (Michael Rooney)
To avoid bolting, the hotter the weather the more it should be in the
shade. There are also varieties that are designed to produce leaves and
some designed to produce seeds.

--------------------------------------

I've been trying to grow cilantro (Chinese parsley, coriander) for several

years so that I can use the leaves in Mexican and Chinese recipes.
However, all I ever get are a few leaves, then they go into business

making flowers and seeds. I never get big bunches of lush, leafy growth as
I've seen in produce departments of grocery and natural foods stores.
So far I've tried the following: planting in very early spring / planting

later / fertilizing / not fertilizing / using seeds of plants that were
hybridized for more leaf growth
Has anyone been successful in growing lush cilantro? If so, what are your

secrets?

From: Jaime/WildFire Farm jknoble.INTERSERV.COM
First, if you want a continuing supply of cilantro, you should succession
plant about every 3 weeks. I know you said you've used seed that is
hybridized for more leaf growth, but here's the following info anyway.

To the more basic question of bolting - you need to get "slow-bolt"
cilantro. There are two types: slow-bolt and regular. The regular is
generally grown for seed, hence the speed to seed. The slow-bolt is grown
for the leaves like you want. It still bolts pretty fast, though.

That's why the succession planting. I always use Shepherd's (I have no
association with them other than as a consumer) because I find I get nearly
100% germination rates & theirs is the slowest to bolt of all I've found.
[If anyone's found a slower bolt seed, I'd love to know about it.]

Look at the cilantro in the store, if it has roots attached you will see
that it is only 10 - 12" high. It pretty much all bolts just about then. I
grow cilantro for commercial use (as well as a lot for my own use) and
generally pull it at about 12". I always pull it, not cut it because it
keeps much better with the roots on and because it leaves space for the
next planting. I do fertilize lightly once just after the first true leaves
appear. It grows nicely in sandy loamy soil. I'm experimenting a little
this year with light shade to keep it cooler in order to see if I can slow
down the bolt even more without losing anything. It works well with
lettuce, so I'm giving it a try. I'll let you know my experiment results in
a month or so.

--------------------------------------

From Nancy Namowicz:
I'm in a suburb west of Chicago, so the winters here can be brutal. In
1997, I planted some cilantro in my flower garden just for fun. It grew and
I let it go to seed (I was looking at it as more of a flower, albeit a
delicate one, rather than a herb). What I have discovered is that in spite
of our harsh winters, cilantro WILL reseed itself, and spread through the
flower bed. Last year I was surprised to see it reappear, and this year, it
has not only reappeared, but two additional plants, about 5 or 6 feet from
the original plants, have sprung up. Interestingly enough, these latest
cilantro plants are slow growing -- the plant that reappear in almost the
same spot has quickly grown up and flowered; these other two, however, are
appearing to be much more like the cilantro bunches you find at the food
store. I also planted (this year) some cilantro in pots and have clipped
those leaves for sauces, etc., leaving the plants in the flower garden
untouched. Their delicate white flowers add a dainty note to the mixture of
flowers I've planted next to the house.

--------------------------------------
2.8.2 Harvesting coriander / cilantro
--------------------------------------

From: dplatt.ntg.com (Dave Platt)
In my experience, the best leaves are the dense, wide ones which grow close
to the ground. Once the plant begins to even _think_ about flowering, it
throws up a vertical stalk, and starts putting out leaves which are much
thinner and lacier. These leaves aren't anywhere near as tasty as the early
foliage.

I've heard some people compare the taste of cilantro to Lifebuoy soap.
To my taste-buds, the thin upper foliage _does_ somewhat resemble Lifebuoy,
and I don't like it at all. The denser low-growing early foliage, on the
other hand, is utterly wonderful.

--------------------------------------

OK, my cilantro bolted! Am I going to have to hand pick each of the

little seeds to restock my coriander spice bottle or does someone have an
easier way?

From: eberts.donald.uoregon.edu (sonny hays-eberts):
Take a brown paper bag, and place the seed 'umbrella' inside. shake
heartily. Repeat for each 'umbrella'. This method is useful to harvest some
seed, and keep the rest for hopeful volunteer plants.

For an even easier method, harvest the plant, then beat against the side of
a clean trashcan. Most seeds should fall to the bottom. you'll need to
clean it a bit, but it's lot easier than hand-picking. This method of
course, harvests *all* the seed, as opposed to number 1.

--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
It takes coriander about 3 months to produce seed - to get seed on plants
grown indoors, grow under plant lights. The best leaves to use are the
denser, lower foliage. Once the plant bolts, the lacy upper foliage should
not be used, as it is not as tasty. Leaves should be harvested before the
plant blooms, or seeds should be harvested when about 2/3 of the seeds have
turned a brownish color. Cut the tops of the plant in the early morning
while still wet with dew, to prevent the seeds from shattering.

--------------------------------------

From: rudy.cae.ca (Rudy Taraschi):
The way I do it is to dry the entire plant, seeds and all. I then get a
large paper shopping bag, hold the dried plant by the stem and thrash it
around in the bag. Most of the seeds usually fall off if the plant is dry
enough.

From: mrooney.mrooney.pn.com (Michael Rooney)
Even better than a paper bag is the feet of panty hose that you or your SO
has decided are too far gone to wear any more. They are great for putting
over dill and cilantro stems to catch the seed. Just put the toe where the
seed head is and a twist tie around the shin part where it is over the stem
and you will catch almost every seed.

--------------------------------------
2.8.3 Using / preserving cilantro / coriander
--------------------------------------

From: snielsen.orednet.org (Susan L. Nielsen)
Not exactly on the matter of etymology, but as to the flavor of
cilantro/coriander leaves, Julia Child has said, [pitch voice appropriately
high in the head]: "I just can't stand it. It tastes like dirt." Other
interpretations invoke soap. I find it quite fresh in flavor, and even take
it straight off the plant in the garden. Of course, I nibble a lot of
things as I dig, but cilantro is definitely one I enjoy. No accounting for
taste.

--------------------------------------

From: nancy_moote.sunshine.net (Nancy Moote)
Cilantro goes to seed very quickly. You can eat the flowers, though. They
taste like the leaves but lighter and sweeter. Or let them develop seed for
baking, pickling, curries, and planting next year.

They grow so fast that you can plant seeds now for more leaf cilantro later
this summer. Next year maybe try planting a few seeds every 2 weeks for a
continuous supply.

--------------------------------------

From Jennifer A. Cabbage fxjac.camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu:
Coriander is eaten in salads and as a pot-herb in China, and the leaves are
often used in Mexican, Turkish, Indian, and some Chinese foods. Leaves are
used in rice dishes, refried beans, salsa, curries, omelets, soups, and
salads. The seeds are used for flavoring breads, cookies and cakes, sausage
and meat dishes, plum jam, and herb liqueurs.

Leaves contain vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron,
fiber, niacin, thiamin, and 14-22% protein.

--------------------------------------

On news:rec.gardens.edible in May 2001:

From Bud Beckman budbeck.uswest.net
The seeds are great tasting and can be used in many dishes. That is why I
grew cilantro, which is an overpowering herb to my palette.

From nicole nicole.ocella.com:
I like to use the unripened seeds in dishes. They taste like a cross
between the leaf and the seed... lovely in any dish that calls for either.

From "Lynne" lynne164.hotmail.com:
Also the roots are used in Thai curry pastes - a basic ingredient in many
Thai dishes. They're milder than the leaves but still impart an inimitable
flavor.

herblady.newsguy.com (Rastapoodle)
Not only are the roots used, they are regarded as a medicinal part of the
plant, more so than the stems and leaves. I'm not sure what they're
supposed to do, but Thai friends in the past have always said that the
roots are very medicinal.

--------------------------------------

'Lucknow' curry powder

1 oz. ginger, 1 oz. coriander seed, 1 oz. cardamom seed,
1/4 oz. cayenne powder, 3 oz. turmeric.

--------------------------------------

Spicy Cilantro Butter

3-4 cloves minced garlic, 4 generous tablespoons chopped fresh
cilantro, 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers or 1 serrano chile- seeded and finely
chopped, 1 teaspoon lime zest (peel), 2-3 teaspoons fresh lime juice,
salt to taste, crushed dried red chile to taste, 1/4 pound softened
unsalted butter (one stick)

Blend all together. Good with grilled or broiled fish, shrimp or steak,
pasta, rice, squash, corn, and eggplant. Roll corn on the cob in the
butter, then sprinkle with Parmesan and lime juice.

--------------------------------------

Cilantro Salmon

3 to 3 1/2 lbs salmon
2 to 3 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
2 to 5 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 tomatoes in eighths
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Clean salmon, removing the head and tail. In a bowl mix together the
remaining ingredients, reserving 5 tomato wedges, and stuff the fish. Line
the fish opening with the remaining tomato wedges. Wrap the fish tightly
with foil. Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10 minutes per inch of thickness of
fish or barbecue over hot coals.

--------------------------------------

From Alisa Norvelle NORVELLE.uga.cc.uga.edu:

When I buy cilantro for whatever reason, I often have much of the bunch
leftover. This is an easy way to keep from wasting it:

Remove the leaves from the bunch of cilantro. Mash them in a mortar and
pestle with cloves of garlic & salt. The ratio is up to you. I usually use
about 2 cloves of garlic with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and as much cilantro as
I can cram into the base of the pestle/mortar without making a mess.

Once you have this paste, you can roll it in saran wrap and freeze it,
slicing off whatever you need for a particular dish.

Two uses for this stuff (measurements are approximations):

--------------------------------------

Lebanese Sauteed Potatoes

2-3 potatoes, diced
2-3 T of cilantro pesto stuff
olive oil
vegetable oil

Dice the potatoes small enough so that they fry fairly quickly, e.g., about
the size of one of the keys on your keyboard.
Fry them in the vegetable oil. Remove and drain them as they get done.
Drain the vegetable oil from the pan and add just a tablespoon or two of
olive oil. Return the potatoes to the pan with the cilantro pesto.
Just saute until everything's a good serving temperature.

This never fails to be a crowd-pleaser. Folks will go *nuts* over it! And
no, it is not a part of your fat-free diet.

--------------------------------------

Lubieh (another Lebanese dish, I don't know how to write it)

I make this vegetarian style. But this is the traditional way:
1/4 lb meat
1 lb green beans
cilantro pesto stuff
olive oil
Lemon juice

Dice the meat into bite-size chunks. Cook it in a sauce pan until it is
good and done--no pink. Add the green beans and a bit of olive oil. Cook
them on a low heat until they begin to exude water. Add the cilantro pesto
in about the last 5-10 minutes of cooking. Squeeze about a half a lemon
onto the meat & beans.

Even prepared the meat-eater way, the amount of meat in this dish is small
for what most Americans-I-know think is a normal meat/vegetable ratio. Eat
it as a meal unto itself or with rice, using pita bread as your eating
utensil.

--------------------------------------
2.8.4 Which coriander / cilantro do you have?
--------------------------------------

From: dplatt.ntg.com (Dave Platt)
There's the "slow-bolting" or "leaf" cilantro, and the coriander - they're
the same species, but they're different strains selected for different
growth characteristics. Leaf cilantro grows more of the low, dense foliage,
and it's not as eager to bolt to seed as is commercial seed-coriander
stock.

--------------------------------------
Culantro
--------------------------------------

From: endothyr.athens.net (Dennis O'Connell)
Also known as Puerto Rican coriander or spiny coriander. Leaves are 4 - 8
inches long, strap-like with serrated edges, very different from typical
coriander. Taste is similar to (but much stronger than) cilantro.

From: afn23664.afn.org (Ray A. Orosz)
Finally, my culantro (Eryngium foetidum) woke up! I let some of it bolt,
(Oh, boy does it bolt!), after the little flowers went away, I'm left with
something cone-like where the flowers were. It appears they may be seeds,
but I'm no sure. I'm also starting to get tired to get stung with the
prickles around it every time I check to see what's happening. Are they
seeds, or should I just cut them out and send them up the river?
Exactly, how does this thing reproduce?

From: Rastapoodle.newsguy.com (Rastapoodle)
Culantro has vicious seed heads, with prickles like hypodermic needles.
The seeds are within that nasty seed head. I just snip them off after they
open and collect the seed. Cutting off the seed heads as soon as they form
(early flowering stage) will result in lusher plants that spread faster.

From: Tristan Hatton-Ellis Tristan.Hatton-Ellis.bris.ac.uk
Eryngiums come from the same family (Umbelliferae, which also includes
Carrots, Fennel & Queen Anne's Lace), but most Eryngiums are spiny and
grown for ornamental reasons; the flowerheads are usually surrounded by
several large spiny bracts which are often an attractive shade of metallic
blue, silver or purple. Yours seems to be seeding very early, but then you
are in a pretty warm climate! The cone-like structure is the seedhead, and
is the best way of propagating Eryngiums. When it is dry the whole thing
can be picked and the seeds shaken out. Fresh seed should germinate quite
quickly; if you leave it it may need a period of cold to encourage
germination.
Alternatively, you can take root cuttings, but since the plants dislike
disturbance this is best done in early spring so the plants can establish
again before summer.

--------------------------------------
Vietnamese Coriander
--------------------------------------

From: Rastapoodle.newsguy.com (Anya)
Vietnamese Coriander (Polygonum odoratum) is a low-growing spreading plant
with tender stems and small light green leaves, and resembles a wandering
Jew (Transcendica spp.). It has a pungent smell, not like
coriander/cilantro at all. It likes wet, semi-shady locales.
It is used in Vietnamese cooking, in soups, stir-frys, etc. I have made a
delicious vinegar with it. Too bad mine died, and I can't get it anymore.
It is believed to be an anaphrodisiac, and the Buddhist monks use it a lot
for this reason.
I don't know if it is a perennial in cold climates, better to pot it up and
bring it indoors, as it is tropical.

--------------------------------------

From: Robert Lauriston robert.lauriston.com
In looking for a local source for the Trinidadian herb "shadon beni" (or
"shadow beni"), I found that it is culantro (Eryngium foetidum), and is
called "ngo gai" (saw leaf herb) in Vietnamese, and "recao" by some Puerto
Ricans (though in Venezuela, "recao" means a mix of herbs). There are
additional possible synonyms in Gernot Katzer's spice pages:
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz.../Eryn_foe.html

--------------------------------------
2.9 The mints

Latin names: The mints: Mentha sp.
Peppermint: Mentha x piperita (Mentha aquatica x M.spicata)
Spearmint: Mentha x spicata (Mentha longifolia x M.suaveolens)
Apple mint: Mentha suaveolens
Pennyroyal: Mentha pulegium
These might not be up to date as botanists make a hobby out of changing
Latin names for Mentha species.

--------------------------------------
2.9.1 Growing mint
--------------------------------------

From: skifast123.aol.com (SkiFast123)
When you move spearmint, trust me and only transplant it into a container
of some sort. You can bury the container if you want. Good containers to
use are those big multi-gallon types that roses come in. Bury it right up
to the rim. Otherwise, in a few years, you will have only one herb in your
garden and that is mint because it is VERY invasive.

From: Gary & Jeanne Ross ross.together.net
Spearmint will keep spreading unless you start pulling some of it out by
the roots. We however have let it and several other mints spread thruout
the lawn. It smells so great when you walk across it.

--------------------------------------
2.9.2 Harvesting mints
--------------------------------------

From: Henriette hetta.saunalahti.fi
Usually, with perennials, it's "cut at most one fifth at most three times a
year". Mints are vigorous. You can cut at most one third at least five
times a year, if they're growing nicely. Discard brown leaves, cut off
brown stem parts, bundle and hang up to dry. Snip into bits when dry, the
stems are just as valuable as the leaf. If you want to you can make thicker
stems into baths or foot baths.

--------------------------------------
2.9.3 Using / preserving mints
--------------------------------------

Also see 4.6.2, Flower / herb syrup.

--------------------------------------

I've got way too much peppermint / mint / spearmint ...:

* From: hattie.netcom.com (Susan Hattie Steinsapir)
Make a simple sugar syrup and add a whole lot of fresh mint to it. Use
this when making granita or to sweeten sun tea. Lemonade made with the
mint syrup would be nice, too.
* I like to make iced tea heavily minted. Steep a whole lot of mint with
the tea bags. Or better yet, boil them with the tea water, then add
the tea and steep. Discard the leaves.
* Make cold Asian type noodle salads with finely chopped mint added. I
use mint to line a bowl in which I'm serving fresh whole strawberries.
Don't see why you couldn't use them to line a bowl in which a fruit
salad will be served. Melon salad would be nice.
* Some middle eastern dishes call for lamb and mint. Ground lamb and
finely chopped fresh mint (and a few other goodies) would make
interesting meat balls.
* Use it in flower arrangements. I've put rosemary branches and mint
leaves together when I wanted something but hadn't picked up any fresh
flowers.
* Give it away to your friends!

From: lebasil.ag.arizona.edu (Leslie Basel)
You also might want to preserve it in vodka or aquavit...

From: asnell.interaccess.com (Amy Snell)
Boil a handful of peppermint leaves in a pot of water, strain it, add sugar
and serve over ice ... wonderful peppermint drink -- tastes a lot like
candy canes, but very summery. Also good hot. Leftovers can be frozen in an
ice cube tray and popped into iced tea to make it minty.

From: thavey.boi.hp.com (Tom Havey):

* Pesto.....a bunch of peppermint leaves, some peppermint or walnut oil,
a bit of sugar, all whipped up in a food processor.
* Dried, put in decorative jars for gifts, or mixed in some homemade
potpourri stuff.
* Tea.
* Raviolis stuffed with peppermint, pepper and raisins and a bit of goat
cheese (or cottage cheese) topped with a light and spicy curry sauce.

From: libby.igc.apc.org (Libby Goldstein)
Just add it to water or seltzer, crush it a bit and serve over ice. It's
lovely.

From: jrogow.ridgecrest.ca.us (Judith Rogow)
Mint planted at the kitchen door keeps ants away.

From: MORAVCSIK.clipr.Colorado.EDU (Julia Moravcsik)

* You can make tabouleh with the mint.
* You can boil water with sugar and dip the leaves in for crystallized
mint leaves.
* You can freeze them for later use.
* You can make a sort of pesto by putting them in a blender with some
oil and then freezing the pesto for later use.
* You can put it in fruit salad, chopped fine.
* You can chomp on a leaf before you drink water to make the water taste
better.

From: sgoddik.sunflowr.usd.edu (Steen Goddik)
One of our friends describes chocolate-mint leaves (a variety of mint that
has a taste of chocolate to it) as a great "social lubricant" for her
5-year old son. All the neighbor kids love it, and it has made him rather
popular.

From: snielsen.orednet.org (Susan L. Nielsen)
Tea from spearmint is a pretty usual solution; I find it perkier than
peppermint. It also makes a terrific addition to iced tea made from regular
black tea. We make what is conventionally called sun tea by the gallons all
year 'round, though without the sun. Seven tea bags (good ol' Lipton's or
Red Rose) steeped all day in a gallon jug of water will make good tea for
icing with or without Sol. Use the spearmint fresh, or dry it, or freeze it
in baggies. I also add it to raspberry leaf tea (calcium boost) because the
raspberry has very little flavor of its own. Straight mint tea is good for
bad tummies.

From: Don Wiss (no email address given)
Looking it up in my Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery I find: candied mint
leaves, mint butter, mint ice, mint jelly, mint julep, mint mousse, mint
sauce, mint syrup, mint wafers, and sprigs in the ice tea.

--------------------------------------

From jmanton.standard.com (Jeanne Manton):
Mint allegedly has a root system extending 18 - 22 inches beneath the
plant. I had mint planters built 18 inches x 18 inches x 26 inches deep.
The mint hadn't read the same book because you always can tell where I have
been living - yep, mint sprouts! This year the apple mint drowned and froze
so I replaced it with pineapple mint - very pretty varigated leaves I use
with cut flowers. When I made my mint jelly for the year I used the
pineapple mint with crushed pineapple. This was supposed to be Christmas
presents but ........ oh, well, I will have another crop shortly.

--------------------------------------

From: awoods.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Alan Woods)
This is from Erica Klein's _Skinny Spices_:

Moroccan Mint Blend

2 T dried mint leaves
2 T garlic granules or powder
2 T toasted sesame seeds
1/2 T lemon peel
1/2 T onion flakes

She uses this as a rub, as flavor for a yoghurt-based soup, and as the main
ingredient in marinade.

--------------------------------------

Spicy Mint tea

From: DonW1948.aol.com
6 c Water
2 Cinnamon sticks
4 Clove, whole
4 Allspice, whole
2 c Mint leaves

Bring the water, cinnamon, cloves and allspice to a boil. Boil for 1
minute. Stir in mint leaves. Remove from heat and steep for five minutes.
Strain into cups.
From Taste of Home Magazine.

--------------------------------------

Orange Mint Vinegar

From: DonW1948.aol.com
1 sm Orange; peel; thin spiral - colored portion only
1/2 c Mint leaves; fresh
Vinegar, white

Remove peel (colored portion only) from 1 small orange in a thin spiral,
and place in a sterilized pint jar. Lightly bruise 1/2 cup fresh mint
leaves, add to jar. Heat apple cider or distilled white vinegar to just
below the boiling point. Fill jar with vinegar, and cap tightly. Allow to
stand 3 to 4 weeks. Strain vinegar, discarding peel and mint. Pour vinegar
into a clean sterilized jar, adding a new sprig of fresh mint, if desired.
Seal tightly. Use in dressing for tossed green salads with orange and
grapefruit sections, or in marinades for chicken or lamb chops.

--------------------------------------

Mint jelly, apple based

From sherae.zeta.org.au (Sheri McRae):
4 lb. tart apples
3 cups strong mint water
2 cups white vinegar
sugar

To make the mint water, soak a large quantity of mint (about a pound) in 3
cups boiling water overnight. Next day, chop apples and place in a pan, and
barely cover with water. Cover and simmer about an hour until apples are
soft. Strain. Combine apple juice, mint water, and vinegar and strain
again. Measure and place in a pan, adding cup for cup of sugar. Stir until
the sugar dissolves. Bring to boiling and cook rapidly until the jelly will
set. Bottle and seal. Mint Jelly is good with meats, especially lamb and is
also good on toast, etc.

I haven't tried this recipe but it came from a reliable preserving book
which I have used and like.

--------------------------------------

Mint jelly

From mcat.epix.net (Molly)

I've made mint jelly from my prolific mint patch. I didn't use any apple
juice base, just boiled the crushed leaves in water, strained, added sugar
and pectin. I think the recipe came in the pectin box, they've got an 800
number there also for other recipes. There's also a recipe in my WD
Encyclopedia of Cookery:

1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh mint leaves and stems
2 1/4 cups water
2 Tbs strained fresh lemon juice
Green food coloring
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 bottle liquid pectin (nowadays that means one pouch Certo)

Wash mint, put in large saucepan, crush with masher or drinking glass. Add
water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 10 min.
Strain, measure 1 2/3 cups into large saucepan. Add lemon juice and a few
grops of food coloring. Stir in sugar, bring to a full boil over high heat,
stirring constantly. Stir in pectin, bring to a full rolling boil, boil for
1 min. Remove from heat, skim, pour into hot jars, and seal.

If you're looking for other ways to use mint leaves, you can candy them and
use them for garnishes on cakes. Dry them and add an interesting taste
while cooking lamb or pork. Mint and Elderberry flower is supposed to be a
great combination for fighting colds and flu. Mint is very calming to an
upset stomach, as well as freshening the breath.

Try mint jelly once, at least, to see for yourself if it's worth it. Good
luck.
Molly

--------------------------------------

From: Leslie duncan.ISYS.CA:
I like mint in Middle-Eastern salads. Tabouleh & Fattoush both use up a lot
of mint & taste great.

Tabouleh

3/4 cup bulgur (cracked wheat) medium or fine.
3/4 cup water
2 large bunches parsley
large bunch mint
4 green onions
juice of 2 lemons
1 1/2 teasp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large, ripe tomatoes
(Note to Chileheads: we usually add about 3 chopped Habs, & a teasp. of
Tabasco to this salad.)
Place cracked wheat and water in a large bowl and set aside to soak for one
hour.
Meanwhile stem off the parsley, mint and onions and wash thoroughly. Chop
very fine.
Squeeze cracked wheat between the hands to remove excess water. Return to
the bowl and add the greens. Add lemon juice, salt and olive oil, adjusting
the amounts to your liking. Sometimes two or three tastings are called for
until the right balance is acquired. Dice one tomato and add it to the
salad. Slice the second tomato to use in decorating the dish.
You may want to serve Tabouleh on a bed of lettuce.
Tabouleh is usually scooped or spooned onto Romaine lettuce leaves and then
eaten. I find this a bit messy, so I prefer eating it with a spoon.
Makes 4-6 servings. From Nadia Farah's Cooking the Middle Eastern Way.

Fattoush (Middle Eastern bread salad)

2 large stale pita breads, torn into 1 in. pieces
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 lb ripe tomatoes (about 3) seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
6 green onions, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the torn pita on a baking sheet in a
single layer and bake until dry, 10-15 minutes. Cool.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, green onions,
green pepper, parsley, & mint.
Whisk together the garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and
pepper to taste. Toss this dressing with the vegetables. Toss in the bread.
Spread on a serving platter, serves 6-8.

Salatat Laban (Yogurt Salad)

2 cups natural yogurt
1/2 large cucumber, finely diced
2 teasp. mint finely chopped
salt
1/4 clove garlic, crushed
Add the other ingredients to yogurt. Stir until smooth. This is a
refreshing salad on hot days, & a nice accompaniment to sandwiches. Makes 4
small servings.

--------------------------------------
2.9.4 Which mint do you have?
--------------------------------------

Also see the Monarda / Beebalm entry, as this plant is often used like the
mints: 2.24

--------------------------------------

From: conrad.richters.com (Conrad Richter)

Mints - Mentha spp.
Seeds -- Do not buy

The best mints cannot be grown from seeds. They are propagated asexually
either by cuttings or division. Often seeds are offered in catalogues or in
seed racks, but the plants that grow from these will be inferior rogues not
worth the bother. The flavour and odour may have some degree of menthol,
but the mix of oils is almost always a disappointment to anyone who has
enjoyed the fresh, clean scents and flavours from a good spearmint or a
good peppermint.

Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) is a natural hybrid, probably between
watermint (M. aquatica) and spearmint (M. spicata). Its flowers are sterile
and so are incapable of producing true peppermint seeds. What is usually
sold as "peppermint" seeds is actually a type of spearmint. The highest and
best use of this rogue mint is for medicinal tea, but it is not nearly as
nice as true peppermint.

Even though spearmint flowers are fertile and are capable of producing
seeds, seeds produce disappointing results. In most cases seeds bought as
"spearmint" will turn out to be the same menthol-smelling variety sold as
"peppermint."

Why does the seed industry continue to sell mint seeds? For years the seed
industry has had little interest and expertise in herbs. Herbs tended to be
sidelines that produced profits and as long as people continued to buy, the
industry did not care. This is true of oregano and remains true of other
herbs as well.

There are some mints, however, that can be grown true from seeds. Watermint
(M. aquatica), applemint (M. suaveolens), corn mint (M. arvensis) and
pennyroyal mint (M. pulegium) all grow from seeds.

But for the beginning herb gardener who just wants one mint for tea and
perhaps one for lamb chops, it is better to get plants. There are many good
quality spearmint strains and hybrids including English mint, improved
spearmint, curled spearmint and the plain Jane, regular spearmint. Among
the peppermints, the most commonly available variety is black peppermint
(M. x piperita vulgaris), but there are others, like the new "chocolate
mint" which, incidentally, some swear really has a "hint" of chocolate it
its aroma profile.

When buying plants beware of the impostor mints grown from seeds. Just
because mint plants are offered for sale in a reputable garden centre does
not mean that the cultivar offered is a good one. Many large growers are
growing mints from the same rogue seed varieties sold by the seed industry.
Always let your nose be the judge; and don't be afraid to squeeze a leaf to
allow the scent to escape into the air.

End of part 2 of 7
--
Henriette Kress Helsinki, Finland
Over 40 MB herbal .html files (FAQs, classic texts, articles, links), plus