Old 15-05-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

Default Any tricks for growing lettuce during the hot months?

Hi,
I'm in NJ and my leaf lettuce plants often bolt during the hot summer
months. On a train trip to FL last summer I saw acres and acres of
farm land with what looked like black netting ot tents over all the
crops. That made me think they were creating a cooler environment
for the crops but I have no idea what was growing.

Do you have any tricks for growing lettuce during
the hot summer months?

---pete---

Old 15-05-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

---Pete--- wrote:
Hi,
I'm in NJ and my leaf lettuce plants often bolt during the hot summer
months. On a train trip to FL last summer I saw acres and acres of
farm land with what looked like black netting ot tents over all the
crops. That made me think they were creating a cooler environment
for the crops but I have no idea what was growing.

Do you have any tricks for growing lettuce during
the hot summer months?

---pete---

Grow them under the tomatoes, or better, under the beans, switch to a
summer lettuce variety, or better, use two summer varieties, one early
one late,
so you get two crops out of one seeding.
I use a cold hardy mix for overwintering, oak leaf for the spring and
summer, and a couple
romaine species in the spring. Even in spring, I plant a later variety
amongst the garlic,
to get a later crop. The garlic light shade delays maturity further.
I also have a spot in the herb garden, that used to be full sun but now
is part shade,
currently occupied by rapini but to be seeded with lettuce in july.

Old 16-05-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

On 15 May 2006 09:29:05 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

Grow them under the tomatoes, or better, under the beans, switch to a
summer lettuce variety, or better, use two summer varieties, one early
one late,so you get two crops out of one seeding.

-------
I like the idea of planting the lettuce between my tomato plants.
I'll try that this year. Thanks

---pete---

Old 16-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

On Mon, 15 May 2006 12:10:34 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

I am in northern NJ. I usually grow mixed greens, such as mesclun and
keep them picked, by the leaf, very often. If you stagger your
planting and re-seed every 2 weeks or so, you should have a fine
supply all season.

Yeah, I do all leaf lettuce too. I start mine indoors in early march
ant they take 2 months to get to transplant size. I never seem to have
much luck with seeding direct in the garden.

What is the best technique for planting lettuce in the garden?

---pete---

Old 17-05-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"---Pete---" wrote in message
Yeah, I do all leaf lettuce too. I start mine indoors in early march
ant they take 2 months to get to transplant size. I never seem to have
much luck with seeding direct in the garden.

What is the best technique for planting lettuce in the garden?

I start Romaine indoors under lights about a month before setting out in the
spring. Seeds are broadcast in trays filled with potting soil, then thinned
to stand about 2" apart. I also broadcast some seed outdoors at the same
time, rake them in lightly, and cover the seed bed with a light pine straw
mulch to prevent the soil from drying. Germination takes longer sowing
outdoors but the results are usually good.

Come mid-August, I sow more seeds indoors and set out the 4" seedlings
mid-September.

As for growing lettuce in the summer; here in Zone 7 along the mid-Atlantic
US coastal plain, I don't even bother. It/s too hot and humid and besides,
my limited garden space is filled with plants that love the heat. You
might try putting a lattice over the plants to create some shade, plant them
in the shade of taller plants, or someplace where they get only the morning
sun.

--
TQ

Old 18-05-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
---Pete---

On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:19:44 -0400, "TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net
wrote:
I start Romaine indoors under lights about a month before setting out in the
spring. Seeds are broadcast in trays filled with potting soil, then thinned
to stand about 2" apart.

-----
Lettuce plants are so delicate.
How do you separate them when it's time to plant in garden?

---pete---

Old 20-05-2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

wrote:
I start Romaine indoors under lights about a month before setting out in

the
spring. Seeds are broadcast in trays filled with potting soil, then

thinned
to stand about 2" apart.

-----
Lettuce plants are so delicate.
How do you separate them when it's time to plant in garden?

When I say thinned, I meant that I transplant the 1-1.5" sprouts into
another tray on 2" centers.

A couple weeks later, the sprouts have b/come 3-4" seedlings ready for
hardening off.

Before I transplant to the garden, I add a little water to moisten the
potting soil so the seedlings can be gently removed from the tray.

Feeding During Extremely Hot Weather? JB[_6_] Ponds (moderated) 7 11-08-2012 01:18 AM
Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Tree planting during hot summer - bad? skunker Gardening 3 15-05-2007 04:18 AM
Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside? Mud Ponds 10 13-12-2005 04:33 PM