Controlling Japanese beetles on peach tree

Old 13-05-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Controlling Japanese beetles on peach tree

Hi,

I live in the Atlanta suburbs.
I have a non-ornamental (fruiting) peach tree and I am bracing for the
inevitable onslaught of Japanese beetles that hits us each summer.

Can someone recommend an insectiside that is effective against Japanese
beetles, yet will not render the peaches unsafe to eat?

The peachtree currently has peaches on it, if that changes the
equation.

Thanks in advance!

-AFD

Old 14-05-2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"applefishdog" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I live in the Atlanta suburbs.
I have a non-ornamental (fruiting) peach tree and I am bracing for the
inevitable onslaught of Japanese beetles that hits us each summer.

Can someone recommend an insectiside that is effective against Japanese
beetles, yet will not render the peaches unsafe to eat?

The peachtree currently has peaches on it, if that changes the
equation.

Thanks in advance!

Sevin (carbaryl) will control the beetles and is relatively beign as
pesticides go. The botanical Rotenone works well and is generally
considered an organic pesticide, but it comes as a dust and may be difficult
(and expensive) to apply on a tree.

Old 18-05-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net writes:
"applefishdog" wrote in message
roups.com...
Can someone recommend an insectiside that is effective against Japanese
beetles, yet will not render the peaches unsafe to eat?

Sevin (carbaryl) will control the beetles and is relatively beign as
pesticides go. The botanical Rotenone works well and is generally
considered an organic pesticide, but it comes as a dust and may be difficult
(and expensive) to apply on a tree.

I used to like Carbaryl because it was easy to mix and had a short
witholding time, just a week or two IIRC. But I think the sale of Carbaryl
has been banned in Australia for at least 10 years on account of it being
a suspected carcinogen. Sevin has been banned for a few decades I think.

Old 19-05-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks for the replies!