Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default HastaGro?

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 07-08-2006, 12:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Nope. But I use and recommend Osmocote (or a similar controlled-release
fertilizer) for potted and bedding plants.

I use compost, alfalfa meal, Espoma products and Maxicrop (a kelp spray)
in the veggie garden.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Alfalfa meal or pellets is one of the green manure crops and
contains small amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium which
feed the plant. However, the biggest benefit of alfalfa is from the
work it does in the soil. Alfalfa contains the hormone, Triacontanol,
a plant growth regulator. Alfalfa meal can be top dressed and watered
in. But quicker benefits are had when alfalfa is brewed into a tea.
The primary boost comes from the millions of microbes in the fermented
meal that activate the soil organisms that then convert nutrients into
forms available to plants. Roses love it. Only apply alfalfa to the
surface. If placed in the root zone, the rapid decomposition of
alfalfa will generate heat which can damage the roots.

Is the alfalfa meal substantially better than alfalfa which has gone
through a cow's digestion (manure)?

Old 07-08-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7 Aug 2006 11:09:09 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

Is the alfalfa meal substantially better than alfalfa which has gone
through a cow's digestion (manure)?

I don't know. I didn't know about alfalfa meal at all until this
morning. I suspect it's a matter of when you add it, and what you're
growing.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 15-08-2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Never heard of HastaGro. What was the problem with MG? I know it comes
in a variety of NPK. My neighbour was using the one for the lawn (with a
high N number) and couldn't understand why it wasn't helping some of the
veggies (all growth, little fruit).

..
Old 15-08-2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

I've had a miserable time with miracle grow...

Anyone have any experience with HastaGro??????

Never heard of HastaGro. What was the problem with MG? I know it comes
in a variety of NPK. My neighbour was using the one for the lawn (with a
high N number) and couldn't understand why it wasn't helping some of the
veggies (all growth, little fruit).

..

It does not last long... and it's easy to over-do it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson