Old 07-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone familiar with this seed company?

This is the week the seed catalogs come in fast and furious..I love
looking through them and am happy to order from them, too.

I received a catalog this week from a comp nay I am unfamiliar with.
In fact, I never heard of them. Shumway's. Anyone order from them
before? Things certainly look good, but I prefer a reference before I
place an order.

https://www.rhshumway.com/shumsiteDefault.aspx

I haven't spent any time at the site, mostly with the large size
catalog with drawings. The drawings are charming and give the catalog
a comforting "old-fashioned" feel, but again, I prefer to know a bit
more before ordering.

Any advice is appreciated.

Boron
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I have ordered from them and had good luck. I cant tell you exactly what I
bought because it has been 5 years ago or so, but If I have bad luck I
remember that forever.

Dwayne

news

Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If I remember correctly, these folks are in Randolph, WI, yes? I don't
have their catalog anymore, but I moved recently and almost immediately
received 3 seed catalogs, all from the same address in Randolph - a
grower's supply catalog, Totally Tomatoes, and a seed catalog (which I
think was Shumway's). Now, there's nothing really wrong with that, but
it sounds like they have an office suite there and are mailing out
seeds under various aliases. I'd rather work with a company that has
test gardens and is actually the company you're ordering from, like
Johnny's, Territorial, etc.

JMO,
Charlotte in the NE

Old 08-01-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Shumway has been bought and realigned several times in the past 30
years as have most of the old companies. Not too long ago it was the
only place you could get the older varieties of vegetable seeds. They
are now part of Jungs as is Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Seed and
others. Never had any problems with them, but thier variety of
offerings has decreased since they became part of Jung. I would really
miss thier version of Lazy Wife pole beans, except that I save my own
seed.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8 Jan 2007 03:35:11 -0800, "
wrote:

If I remember correctly, these folks are in Randolph, WI, yes? I don't
have their catalog anymore, but I moved recently and almost immediately
received 3 seed catalogs, all from the same address in Randolph - a
grower's supply catalog, Totally Tomatoes, and a seed catalog (which I
think was Shumway's). Now, there's nothing really wrong with that, but
it sounds like they have an office suite there and are mailing out
seeds under various aliases. I'd rather work with a company that has
test gardens and is actually the company you're ordering from, like
Johnny's, Territorial, etc.

Shumways used to be in Grantiville, SC, and Totally Tomatoes was near
by...I think. And, I'm thinking they were both bought out, but I don't
know that for sure.

I used to order from Shumways, and never had any problems with them,
but that was years ago. I remember being pleased that I was able to
support an almost local seed company, and I remember being
disappointed that they were bought out.

I am, however, descending rapidly into old fartdom, and my memory may
have conflugled the facts here, so keep asking around.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"

Old 08-01-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 11:38:04 -0500, Boron Elgar
wrote:

This is the week the seed catalogs come in fast and furious..I love
looking through them and am happy to order from them, too.

I received a catalog this week from a comp nay I am unfamiliar with.
In fact, I never heard of them. Shumway's. Anyone order from them
before? Things certainly look good, but I prefer a reference before I
place an order.

https://www.rhshumway.com/shumsiteDefault.aspx

I haven't spent any time at the site, mostly with the large size
catalog with drawings. The drawings are charming and give the catalog
a comforting "old-fashioned" feel, but again, I prefer to know a bit
more before ordering.

Any advice is appreciated.

Boron

Thanks to all who advised. Their prices are good and their catalog
quite detailed. Their online capabilities and choices are much less
than the catalog.

I think I'll place an order and see what happens.

Once again, thanks for the responses.

Boron

Anyone familiar with Gardena sprinklers? Triangular lawn? Newbie Gardening 6 29-04-2008 06:39 PM
Looks familiar? Sacha United Kingdom 0 13-10-2006 07:41 PM
Cyclone seed company Chuckie Gardening 1 25-12-2005 12:07 AM
Anyone know a site/company for specialty edging bricks? 1st home Gardening 1 16-07-2004 12:02 AM