Old 12-06-2007, 08:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default White specks on mulch - still in the bag

My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. I bought and opened it last year.
I stored the mulch in it's original bag and then placed that bag in a
trash bag and tied it up. I've kept the bag in my spare room since I
got it last year.

Is this mulch ok to use on my plants?

Old 13-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Registered User

This should be fine. This happens due to the dampness created in the bag and the natural decomposition.
Old 16-06-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 11, 11:12?pm, "Mike S." wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. I bought and opened it last year.
I stored the mulch in it's original bag and then placed that bag in a
trash bag and tied it up. I've kept the bag in my spare room since I
got it last year.

Is this mulch ok to use on my plants?

It is absolutely OK to use on your plants. The while spots are a
fungus or mold from the residual moisture that was in the bag when you
put it into storage. When spread out on the soil, the sun will kill it
if it has any residual moisture. If not, fungus and mold is part of
any healthy soil chemistry and will do no harm. I have used similar
soil amendments in my flower and vegetable garden with no ill results.
The only place I want a completley sterile growing mix if for seed
flats. I however buy a dry sterile non soil medium for seeds to keep
them from molding when sprouting. Hope this helps. Regards - Jim

Tiny black specks on my Basil and Mint madloof72 Edible Gardening 3 06-07-2008 05:11 PM
Little white specks on tomato plant leaves? mjnash Lawns 1 29-05-2006 08:53 PM
To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 12:10 PM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 05:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 04:08 PM