What's eating my beetroot?

Old 25-06-2007, 10:33 PM

Default What's eating my beetroot?

What eats beetroot in the UK?

Mine is suddenly being demolished, I've had several nearly the size of tennis balls almost completely eaten.

I've never had this problem before despite growing them for several years, (it's the globes not the leaves ).

I can see the scrape marks from the teeth / beak.

I know we have mice in the garden.. I see them on the compost, but I think considering the amount that is disappearing the culprit must be bigger... how much could mice eat ?

Do woodpigeons eat beetroot? ... what about squirrels...

We've had all these things in the garden for years without a major problem, so should I suspect that we have rats?

Has anyone else has a similar problem?

Thanks Gary
Old 29-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Following a trip to the Garden Centre and purchasing some mouse traps...

In the last 2 hours I have found that 4 voles and 1 Woodmouse will no longer be eating my beetroot.

I don't think that they will be the last...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Angry

I seem to have the same problem. I successfully grew beetroot last year, but this year something has been devouring my beets from the top, though often leaving a small top knot of leaves. My best guess is some kind of rodent - and bigger than a mouse, I think - I guess that leaves sqirrels, rabbits or RATS - or hedgehogs or even badgers.

Gary, did you find ou what was eating your beetroots?

ffrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
What eats beetroot in the UK?

Mine is suddenly being demolished, I've had several nearly the size of tennis balls almost completely eaten.

I can see the scrape marks from the teeth / beak.

..we have mice in the garden.. ... how much could mice eat ?

Do woodpigeons eat beetroot? ... what about squirrels... should I suspect that we have rats?

Old 12-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Location: Norwich

Originally Posted by ffrank View Post
I seem to have the same problem. I successfully grew beetroot last year, but this year something has been devouring my beets from the top, though often leaving a small top knot of leaves. My best guess is some kind of rodent - and bigger than a mouse, I think - I guess that leaves sqirrels, rabbits or RATS - or hedgehogs or even badgers.

Gary, did you find ou what was eating your beetroots?

ffrank
How about getting a cat! ours kills anything from worms to blackbirds and would soon exterminate a rodent population!
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!