Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

In article . com,
Sheldon wrote:

"Pandora" wrote:

Make a bell peeper sauce.

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Sheldon

Hide the children. The "sickness" is back with delusions of grandeur. Go
on Sheldon and tell us the story again, about how the "Forest Pansy
reached out and grabbed (your)... oh never mind. hehe."
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 12:37?pm, Billy Rose wrote:
In article om,

James wrote:
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Will they turn red if you let them hang?

Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

But if you pull the entire plant up by its roots and hang the plant
upside down in a paper bag the peppers already formed on the plant
will ripen somewhat more. Those perfect looking Holland peppers are
produced in a controlled environment as well. Most sold in the US are
produced in CA and FL.

Sheldon

Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 2:26?pm, James wrote:
On Aug 8, 1:30 pm, "readandpostrosie" wrote:

my husband, the gardener, slices all the leftover peppers and throws them in
the freezer!

"James" wrote in message

ups.com...

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?- Hide quoted text -

Some how I ended up with 25 plants including extras from other
gardeners. I started Carnavil Mix seeds and got yellow, orange,
purple, and green peppers. Guess I'll leave some to turn red.

Most of those vibrantly colored peppers are hot house grown in a
scientifically controlled environment. It's near impossible to grow
such specimens in the home garden.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/np/mba/jun05/pepper.htm

Sheldon

Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

"Pandora" wrote:

Make a bell peeper sauce.

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Lol...and ya know all those Italian blokes *are* uncircumcised.

--
Best
Greg

Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Billy PRIMRose wrote:

In article . com,

Sheldon wrote:
"Pandora" wrote:

Make a bell peeper sauce.

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Sheldon

Hide the children. The "sickness" is back with delusions of grandeur. Go
on Sheldon and tell us the story again, about how the "Forest Pansy
reached out and grabbed (your)... oh never mind. hehe."

You obviously really DUG the story, otherwise you wouldn't mention it,
eh...???

Didja hear the one about the Forest Pansy and the Forest Elf...

--
Best
Greg

Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Steve Sqwertz cluelessly wrote:

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:39:43 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

I guess that's why all my jalapeno and serrano peppers from the
grocery store turn from green to red at home after a few days.

And you don't even have to put them in a bag to ripen, do you,
Sqwirtz? That's because the BAG is on yer HEAD...as it is most of the
time when you post.

Read the subject header, the subject at hand is BELL peppers...next
you'll be trying to interject snarky comments about ground black
pepper, etc....

--
Best
Greg

Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote in message
ps.com...
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

We freeze them after removing the seeds/core and use them in cooking. Last
years crop lasted us almost all winter. Peppers and onions are one of our
favorites. We also use them sliced thin on home made pizza.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 8:19 am, James wrote:
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I like them stir fried in peanut oil with garlic and a little bit of
beef or a tiny pinch of msg.
I also add some crushed chilies, and right at the end, some soy sauce.

--Bryan

Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article om,
Gregory Morrow wrote:

Billy PRIMRose wrote:

In article . com,

Sheldon wrote:
"Pandora" wrote:

Make a bell peeper sauce.

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Sheldon

Hide the children. The "sickness" is back with delusions of grandeur. Go
on Sheldon and tell us the story again, about how the "Forest Pansy
reached out and grabbed (your)... oh never mind. hehe."

You obviously really DUG the story, otherwise you wouldn't mention it,
eh...???

Nah, it's a illustrative short story of questionable taste. About as
short as Sheldon's . . . good taste.

Didja hear the one about the Forest Pansy and the Forest Elf...

Well, I don't have to Freud to see someone's obsessing. I appreciate
your attention fella but I'm not hinged to go that way.

--
Best
Greg

Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Here are two recipes much prized by people who like bell peppers (I am
not one of them). The first one is a peperonata recipe from _Cucina
Italiana_ compiled by Accademia Italiana della Cucina.
(Notice: a 'glass' measure, as defined in the book, is 150-200 ml)
Green and red peppers can be used instead of or in addition to yellow
ones.
The second recipe is from _Trattoria_ by Patricia Wells, complete with
her comments.

Peperonata
Vegetable stew with peppers

700 g (1.5 pounds) yellow bell peppers
350 g (0.8 pounds) ripe tomatoes
350 g (0.8 pounds) onions
1/2 glass (75-100 ml/2.5-3.4 US oz) vinegar
1/2 glass (75-100 ml/2.5-3.4 US oz) oil
salt

Wash the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes, and cut in thin
strips. Peel and core the tomatoes. Peel and mince the onions. Put
the vegetables in a large casserole with a well-fitted cover. Salt
and add the oil. Cover and slowly cook over moderate heat for about 1
hour.
The peppers must be just ready by now. Pour in the vinegar and cook
everything through for a few minutes longer. As soon as the sauce
thickens, transfer the dish to a platter and let cool. The dish can be
served cold, warm, or hot.

Oven-Roasted Peppers
Peperoni al Forno

Whenever I have a batch of these delicious red and green roasted peppers
at hand, I feel secure, as though my larder were somehow complete.
These peppers can wear many hats: as a quick lunch with a slice of
grilled bread; as a sauce tossed with warm pasta, as a member of a
lovely antipasto table. I've sampled these at trattorias all over
Italy. Sometimes they are roasted and served as is with just a touch of
oil and salt and sometimes they have a nice vinegary tang. Take your
choice. Be sure to watch the peppers as they bake: the goal here is
peppers that a re soft and fully cooked, with most of the skin still
attached. If they scorch, or bake at too high a temperature, the skins
fall away and the peppers become unpleasantly dry or rubbery and
sometimes bitter. Should you also find yellow or orange peppers in the
market, try all four varieties for a festival of colour. Or, if you are
partial to red peppers, stick with a single hue. Even those who profess
a dislike for peppers will be surprised by the sweetness of this dish.

4 red peppers (about 1 1/2 lb, 750 g)
4 green peppers (about 1 1/2 lb, 750 g)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt to taste
1 tablespoon best-quality red wine vinegar (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, gas mark 4)

2. Wash the peppers, quarter them and remove the seeds and membranes.
Place in a covered baking dish large enough to hold them comfortably.
Toss with the oil and season lightly with salt.

3. Cover and place in the centre of the oven. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2
hours, turning the peppers from time to time so they do not scorch.
Remove from the oven and, if desired, toss with the vinegar. Taste for
seasoning. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings as an appetizer

Victor

Old 09-08-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

I guess that's why all my jalapeno and serrano peppers from the
grocery store turn from green to red at home after a few days.

And you don't even have to put them in a bag to ripen, do you,
Sqwirtz? That's because the BAG is on yer HEAD...as it is most of the
time when you post.

Read the subject header, the subject at hand is BELL peppers...next
you'll be trying to interject snarky comments about ground black
pepper, etc....

Even hot peppers don't ripen once picked. With some varieties if
picked when almost fully ripe they may ripen further some almost
imperceptible amount, but they will definitely rot before they ripen
noticably. Peppers are a fruit and ripening fruit means an increase
in sugar content, not a change in color... color change is an
indicator of ripeness ONLY while still on the plant. Peppers may turn
color while dehydrating but that is not ripening, that's oxidation...
if peppers are kept moist they will rot (rotting peppers change color
too). Some fruits continue to ripen after picking but peppers are not
one of those.

The color change sqwertz notices on his store bought is a combination
of rot and oxidation.. he has no idea how long ago those store bought
were picked. Once picked peppers should be consumed as soon as
possible, or otherwise preserved (pickled/dehydrated).

I grow bell pepeprs and hot peppers, especially lots of jalopenos...
no way a store bought is gonna taste anywhere as good as my freshly
picked home grown.... and I pick em at all different stages, from
nubile green crispy critters to saggy wrinkled old bag reds.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/p...024032752.html

Sheldon

Old 09-08-2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 8:37 am, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:
James dropped this groups.com:in
rec.food.cooking

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I guess my question would be how many do you have? I like to dice them
and put them in a hot wok with seasoned oil and do a stir fry with them.
Of course I add meat and other things to the stir fry. For some reason I
really like them with a course grind of black pepper.

Here is a recipe I found a awhile back. This is not a stir fry but you
could certainly use a wok. It sounds tempting with a few of my own
variations. I have yet to try it but think I'll give it a go as a side
dish this weekend. I think I'll serve it with some grilled peppered
steak.

Bell pepper rings are fried and seasoned.

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds green peppers (about 6 medium), cut into 1/4-inch rings
3 tablespoons salad oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION:
Remove ribs from pepper rings.
Heat oil in large skillet. Add pepper rings; cook, over high heat and
stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with
garlic salt and salt. Serve at once.
Makes 6 to 8 servings of pepper rings.

That's pretty much what I do, but I'd specify a decent oil (peanut),
and the salt would all come from soy sauce added about a minute or two
before plating. I also use a tiny bit of msg if I'm not adding any
meat, and either add crushed red chiles just before the soy sauce, or
cayenne sprinkled on afterward.

--Bryan

Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 8, 11:26 am, James wrote:

Some how I ended up with 25 plants including extras from other
gardeners. I started Carnavil Mix seeds and got yellow, orange,
purple, and green peppers. Guess I'll leave some to turn red.

That's a lot of peppers for a home garden, especially when they don't
particularly agree with you.

Letting some of the green peppers ripen all the way to red will buy
you some time. Red ones are sweeter and may bother your stomach less,
too.

A stir fry of beef, onion, a mixture of colored peppers, a smashed
garlic clove, a pinch of cayenne, and a few tablespoons of curry paste
is a fast way to use some up. Good over steamed rice.

Or, beef or chicken, onion, peppers, and black bean and garlic sauce
for a completely different taste. (Chop 2 TB each garlic and
fermented/preserved black beans, 2 TB soy sauce, 2 TB sherry, 1/4 cup
water for a fast sauce).

We have frozen chopped bell peppers, green and red, successfully.
Liked the ones frozen raw better than those frozen after blanching.
They lose their crispiness, but not their taste.

You might try roasting/grilling a bunch of peppers and skinning the
blackened surface off, then freezing. That's the best flavor for many
dishes and I don't see why freezing them wouldn't work. Roasted
peppers are sold jarred in oil, but for home purposes freezing is
safer. -aem

Old 09-08-2007, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
On Aug 8, 8:19 am, James wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I like them stir fried in peanut oil with garlic and a little bit of
beef or a tiny pinch of msg.
I also add some crushed chilies, and right at the end, some soy sauce.

--Bryan

I can't believe someone would put msg on their own food. I spend lots
of time trying to avoid it, and make sure the chinese restaurants don't
use it. They lie a lot.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:39:43 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

I guess that's why all my jalapeno and serrano peppers from the
grocery store turn from green to red at home after a few days.

-sw

They get sunburn under electric lights.

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-04-2005 05:07 AM
Bell Peppers Mira Gardening 2 05-09-2004 06:43 PM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 06:32 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 04:45 PM
What kind of critter steals bell peppers? Carol Adams Texas 0 05-04-2003 12:09 PM