Old 09-08-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:39:43 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

I guess that's why all my jalapeno and serrano peppers from the
grocery store turn from green to red at home after a few days.

-sw

They get sunburn under electric lights.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

doofy wrote:

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
On Aug 8, 8:19 am, James wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I like them stir fried in peanut oil with garlic and a little bit of
beef or a tiny pinch of msg.
I also add some crushed chilies, and right at the end, some soy sauce.

--Bryan

I can't believe someone would put msg on their own food. I spend lots
of time trying to avoid it, and make sure the chinese restaurants don't
use it. They lie a lot.

Rotsa ruck trying to avoid MSG, it's naturally ocurring in many, many
foods...even in yer Mama's (or yer girlfriend's) breast milk.

A tiny bit helps as a flavoring agent, the problem with MSG in Chinese
restos is that years ago many over - used it as a flavoring agent,
thus it's bad rap. "Accent" was a big - selling flavoring agent back
around the 60's or so, it's largely MSG. Since then we've generally
become more knowledgeable and sophisticated about flavoring enhancers
(herbs, spices,,,,), Accent is not used like it once was. IIRC you
can get the same effect of too much MSG by using too much salt...and
salt is naturally ocurring in most everything too. Just don't over -
do it...

A number of people who complain about "too much MSG" in Chinese food
are simply having a reaction to the very high levels of salt used in
some Chinese food...

--
Best
Greg

Old 09-08-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Steve Sqwertz cluelessly wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
Peppers no longer continue to ripen once picked.

I guess that's why all my jalapeno and serrano peppers from the
grocery store turn from green to red at home after a few days.

And you don't even have to put them in a bag to ripen, do you,
Sqwirtz? That's because the BAG is on yer HEAD...as it is most of the
time when you post.

Read the subject header, the subject at hand is BELL peppers...next
you'll be trying to interject snarky comments about ground black
pepper, etc....

Even hot peppers don't ripen once picked. With some varieties if
picked when almost fully ripe they may ripen further some almost
imperceptible amount, but they will definitely rot before they ripen
noticably. Peppers are a fruit and ripening fruit means an increase
in sugar content, not a change in color... color change is an
indicator of ripeness ONLY while still on the plant. Peppers may turn
color while dehydrating but that is not ripening, that's oxidation...
if peppers are kept moist they will rot (rotting peppers change color
too). Some fruits continue to ripen after picking but peppers are not
one of those.

Yep, I notice that with jalapenos...I like to keep them out for a
little whiles in my big white fruit/vegetable bowl on the kitchen
table. If it's hot and steamy (like our current weather) I don't dare
leave them out more than a day, just like I don't leave out bell
peppers - they'll rot. In the winter when the humidity and temp are
low I can leave them out for a few days, eventually some will turn
orange - ish, and if I leave them for a long time they will just
eventually shrivel up...

--
Best
Greg

Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I dislike bell pepper.

So I use my excess by leaving them at the grocery store.

Or, if eating out, by decorating the edge of the plate with them.

--Blair
Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Peperonata!
Sautee some garlic in EVO oil and add bell peppers roughly chopped, some
finely chopped onion and a little water to keep it wet for the first 10
minutes of cooking, over medium gas. Add very few tomato sauce, reduce fire
to low, cover, salt and let go for about half an hour or so.
It makes a nice side dish with almost anything, and someone also uses it to
dress cooked plain rice or pasta. You can obviously add some hot peppers to
give it more strength.
A friend of mine used to make his "pizza ai peperoni" by simply baking a
disc of pizza dough and then topping it with peperonata and shredded
mozzarella.
It can also be served cold but lukewarm is better, and hot smoking is the
best.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Lol...and ya know all those Italian blokes *are* uncircumcised.

I'm sorry for you
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 11:57 pm, Gregory Morrow
wrote:
doofy wrote:
Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
On Aug 8, 8:19 am, James wrote:

[...]

It is very potent stuff. You only need a tiny bit. 1/8t maximum in a
stir fry (one extra large plate full). I only use it if I'm not
adding meat. It makes a difference.

The way you see the stuff, sold in huge containers, can only suggest
that many folks use FAR more.

--
Best
Greg

--Bryan

Old 09-08-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
doofy wrote:

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Aug 8, 8:19 am, James wrote:

[...]

Not for me. I like salt. MSG causes other odd problems.

Now they use fake foods, like autolyzed yeast extract, and possibly
modified food starch, as glutamic acid sources, without having to label
it as containing msg.
Old 17-08-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 10:19 am, James wrote:
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

We cut them smallish (2" x 2"), and either blanch and freeze or just
freeze in ziploc bags. We use all winter.
Works for hot peppers, too, unless they're the drying kind.

Pegleg

Bell Peppers Mira Gardening 2 05-09-2004 05:43 PM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 05:32 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 03:45 PM
What kind of critter steals bell peppers? Carol Adams Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM