Eating Green Tomatos

Old 19-08-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Eating Green Tomatos

writes:
Hello,

Is it safe to eat green tomatoes?

I know there are lots of recipes for frying them but don't they
contain a poison?

Generations of people have eaten fried green tomatoes; those same
generations of people did not die from having eaten them.

However green *potatoes* carry toxins as do the parts of tomato plants.
Both are part of the nightshade family.

Keep in mind that those tomatoes in the grocery stores were not ripe when
they were picked. Some interesting info here addressing the toxins.
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...es/nightsh.htm

So, Steven, if you are concerned, just let those green tomatoes ripen so
you will be comfortable eating them. Do remember that the "love apple"
was considered poisonous for centuries, now a good tomato is sought after.

My daughter-in-law asked: If it was called the love apple, who gave it to
someone and discovered it was not poisonous? Food for thought, eh?

Glenna
(who has green Mr. Stripey tomatoes)

Old 19-08-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Excellent. Many thanks for your comment. Fried green toms for
breakfast tomorrow then :-)
Old 20-08-2007, 08:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fc.003d0941022f02bc3b9aca00e5b94d58.22f02d3@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
[...]

Wolf peaches.

Napoleon planted tomatoes around his gardens to kill the peasants that
stole his produce.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
In article ,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
[...]

Green tomato chutney - nothing like it. Been eating it for 60 years - it would be nice if I could do it for another 60. I didn't even know that anyone thought that they could be toxic.
Bigal
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bigal wrote:

Green tomato chutney - nothing like it. Been eating it for 60 years -
it would be nice if I could do it for another 60. I didn't even know
that anyone thought that they could be toxic.
Bigal

I love Fried Green Tomatoes. Never poisoned me yet.

I don't believe that green tomato FRUIT is toxic.
It's the stems, leaves and roots that are a problem from what I
understand.

The point is is that HISTORICALLY, tomatoes, even ripe ones, were once
considered toxic.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.