Old 19-08-2007, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default When is Delicata squash ripe?

The Subject says it all. We just picked an unripe one and would like to
do better than trial-and-error.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 20-08-2007, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bob Engelhardt said:

The Subject says it all. We just picked an unripe one and would like to
do better than trial-and-error.

Ripe delecata squash are pale and have a very mild (but extremely
sweet) squash flavor.

Ripe squash will turn colors. For a delicata, it will be less pale green
and more of a warm cream, and when very ripe the squash will also
show an orange blush. The dark green stripes (particularly at the
blossom end) will begin to turn orange. Any pale spot (from touching
the ground) will color up.

The stem will be very hard (like wood).

The rind will be tough enough that it will resist being pierced by
a fingernail.

(These last two signs indicate a squash that is mature enough to store
well.)

This image shows delicata squashes looking rather ripe:
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...6/23219659.jpg

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 20-08-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat, thank you! The complete & easy answer!

Bob