GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brussels but no sprouts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/165516-brussels-but-no-sprouts.html)

David Hare-Scott 01-10-2007 10:16 AM

Brussels but no sprouts

In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and made large
cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc. However the
brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny sprouts about the
size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and treated the same way. Now
it's spring and I am about to pull out the brussels sproutless. Can anybody
tell me why the sprouts never grew any sprouts?

David

Jonno[_9_] 01-10-2007 12:44 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

Usually if they haven't had a good frost on them they wont sprout.
I sometimes have the problem. if the winters too mild, they've been
planted late or not enough water. Then they wont do as well.

Chookie 01-10-2007 03:07 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

In article , "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and made large
cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc. However the
brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny sprouts about the
size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and treated the same way. Now
it's spring and I am about to pull out the brussels sproutless. Can anybody
tell me why the sprouts never grew any sprouts?

They are very slow-growing, and they need cold to crop.

I've seen recommendations to plant the seedlings in February, which is insane
in Sydney -- they keel over in the hot weather. Problem is that planting them
later doesn't give them enough time to grow.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

David Hare-Scott 01-10-2007 03:30 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article , "David Hare-Scott"

wrote:

In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and made

large
cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc. However the
brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny sprouts about

the
size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and treated the same way.

Now
it's spring and I am about to pull out the brussels sproutless. Can

anybody
tell me why the sprouts never grew any sprouts?

They are very slow-growing, and they need cold to crop.

I've seen recommendations to plant the seedlings in February, which is

insane
in Sydney -- they keel over in the hot weather. Problem is that planting

them
later doesn't give them enough time to grow.

We do get quite cool winters usually but this one was fairly mild, only a
handful of hard frosts. Oh well it's too late now I need the space for
summer crops.

David

Jim Kingdon 01-10-2007 06:11 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

I've seen recommendations to plant the seedlings in February, which
is insane in Sydney -- they keel over in the hot weather. Problem
is that planting them later doesn't give them enough time to grow.

Shade cloth?

But yeah, getting them started in the hot weather is usual problem
with fall crops (even more so here in Washington, DC, where most fall
crops need to produce by winter, as we get a few months of freezing
weather, and only a few fall-planted annuals will overwinter).

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/

Nice blog. As for growing plants with limited access to water, have
you ever seen or heard of the underground gardens of Fresno, CA?
There are some photos at http://www.forestiere-historicalcenter.com/
but the basic idea is that plants like grapes or citrus are planted in
underground rooms, with their leaves growing up through open
skylights. Not sure how I'd apply this to any other situation, but it
is always what I think of when I ponder gardens in dry climates.
There's probably a garden technique lurking here (cylinders of shade
cloth or opaque cloth open at the top? I don't know).

Chookie 02-10-2007 01:49 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

In article ,
Jim Kingdon wrote:

Nice blog. As for growing plants with limited access to water, have
you ever seen or heard of the underground gardens of Fresno, CA?
There are some photos at http://www.forestiere-historicalcenter.com/
but the basic idea is that plants like grapes or citrus are planted in
underground rooms, with their leaves growing up through open
skylights. Not sure how I'd apply this to any other situation, but it
is always what I think of when I ponder gardens in dry climates.
There's probably a garden technique lurking here (cylinders of shade
cloth or opaque cloth open at the top? I don't know).

I've heard of that technique for arid climates, as it provides more shade,
more humidity and more stable temperatures. The problem with Sydney is that
our climate is not arid but in fact humid, particularly in summer, which leads
to fungal disease in susceptible plants. We can also have very hot dry days
-- tomorrow is predicted to be 34 C (= 93 F) here with strong drying winds,
and it's only the start of our summer! You can imagine that there are plants
that will survive one kind of weather but not the other...

Mark[_17_] 26-01-2017 05:05 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

Mark

David Hare-Scott wrote:
In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and
made large cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc.
However the brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny
sprouts about the size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and
treated the same way. Now it's spring and I am about to pull out the
brussels sproutless. Can anybody tell me why the sprouts never grew
any sprouts?

David

Ever since being a member of this group - I've tried to re-grow brussels
sprouts. Again - my crop was terrible this past year. I think I grew
them too late, I didn't trim the lower leaves off the plant and I didn't
stake them properly. All three will be practiced this year .. in
addition to some new varieties of seeds from England. Varieties 'state-
side' is limited.

Any new ideas very much appreciated.

All the best,
Mark Thompson

George Shirley[_3_] 26-01-2017 06:01 PM

Brussels but no sprouts

Mark

David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

Brussels sprouts are the one green that I just cannot bring myself to
eat. When I was a very young man in the U.S. Navy the !@#$% chief cook
on the destroyer I was on evidently loved the damned things. We had them
about three times a week. I can smell them cooking now and I start gagging.

Cabbage, kale, any other green garden type, I will eat.

I hope this doesn't jinx you Mark. G

George in Texas, USA