Old 17-12-2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Indeed... ;-D

Then there are the seeds...

Yeah, but, like, when he starts fertilizing, I want to be up wind.

Ew. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 26-12-2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
RF RF is offline

Melodious Thunk wrote:
On Dec 9, 10:15 am, RF wrote:
Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:
On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
Hi All,
These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very
expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce.
Visitwww.wikipedia.organdtype chia to get lots of info.
I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and
storing them.
TIA
RF
Yeah I bought 2 CHIA Herb Gardens last winter. They grew exactly
as the instructions said they would. At first. Then they died.
All of them reached 2 inches in height within a few weeks as
predicted.
The Chives were the only thing (of 6 plantings) that survived to reach
3 inches.
Any attempt to do any thinning or separate anything from the CHIA
"growing sponge"
also killed it. Immediately. Everything.
Later I planted some leftover CHIA seeds in window boxes. They lived a
little longer,
but were always overgrown and shaded-out by store and ebay-bought
seeds long
before they reached maturity or produced anything useful. Long before.
I'm thinking who my worst enemy is to give them the remaining Herb
Garden for
Christmas. Somewhere in the instructions it clearly said "special
hybrids".
Yeah. Specialized to grow quick and die quicker.
I've seen Chia growing in the wild.
Might be best as an outdoor plant?

Thanks Guys for the responsees.

I did a little digging this morning and found that the chia has grown
wild as far north as Mondocino county in CA.
I live in Sonoma. right next door, so it appears I am in the right
place. Very important, once it starts to grow it
needs no more water.

There is lots of info at the link:

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/p...lantguide.asp?...

Good planting and even better eating :-)

RF

They want to be dry sometimes but don't tolerate freezing. They were a
staple of the Tribes of inland southern California (Luiseño,
Gabrieliño, del Rey, etc.) who still grow and collect them. It grows
wild along my hillside & we gather them sometimes. Tasty, especially
roasted!

We do get some frost here but it is mostly on the surface - rarely gets
down far
into the earth. If the roots are deep, it could survive. Presumably it
is an annual and
could be grown from Spring through the Fall. Anyone know if they are
somewhat similar
to flax seeds? When the flax seeds are soaked in water for a while, the
result is a
very clear slimy liquid, which acts as a strong laxative for many people.

RF