Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Registered User

Default Sweet Million Tomoatoes

Hi, does anybody know if Sweet Million Tomatoes can be grown outside of the greenhouse? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Gardening Pesticides for Fruit Trees

In article ,
Richard1957 wrote:

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

Not from around here, are ya Bub?
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 01-05-2008, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Freedom_Spark wrote:

Richard1957;787910 Wrote:
Hi, does anybody know if Sweet Million Tomatoes can be grown outside of
the greenhouse? Thanks!

Hi,

Apparently so.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pd_114d.html

Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1957 View Post
Hi, does anybody know if Sweet Million Tomatoes can be grown outside of the greenhouse? Thanks!
Hi, I'm a complete gardening novice, as you can see from my previous posts All I know is I started a tray full of sweet millions inside, in a pretty cold room & only two worked out for me they're developing into great little plants now but it was only two out of about 12, like I say I'm a complete novice just sharing my own experience, I know my friend's dad grew the same kind last year & they were delicious. Good Luck.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Richard1957 wrote:

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

Carbendazim: Toxic, Dangerous for the
environment, May cause heritable genetic damage, May impair fertility,
May cause harm to the unborn child, Toxic to aquatic organisms, May
cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Help_Pag..._Search/Risk__
_Safety_Statements.html#Risk%20Phrases

Fenitrothion: an organophosphorus insecticide, which acts
by contact activity and a stomach poison. It is used for the
control of insect pests in public health programs.
( nerve gas, Cholinesterase Inhibitor)

ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Toxic to fish and toxic to bees.
Do not spray and plants in flower while bees are foraging.
http://www.astra-agri.com.sa/product...e%20500ULV.pdf

Not the sort of things one finds in a gardening group, especially one
that has the word edible in it. You may have better luck at
alt.environmental.destruction .

Whatever your planning, I strongly suggest you don't do it.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Richard1957 wrote:

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

--
Richard1957

Richard,

Seems like Carbendazim is some pretty mean stuff. I found a few sources in the
USA, so if you google for it, you may find some in the UK. What are trying to
treat that requires such a strong chemical fungicide? Similarly, Fenitrothion
is a
very strong pesticide, so I have to ask again, what are trying to eliminate?

Have you tried less potent chemicals and found them ineffective? I wonder if
you
have any experience with chemicals, as you think Carbendazim is a pesticide.

Again, do you really need this strong stuff for your fruit trees, or are you
just trying
to get rid of your mother-in-law?

Sherwin

Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Richard1957" wrote in message

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

With a bit of luck one of the old boys in your neighbourhood will have some
in an old glass jar labeled 'jam'. You might also be able to pick up some
DDT or nicotine pesticide as well. Those will be in jars labeled 'chutney'
or 'bottled peaches'. If you are not sure exactly what it is, mix a bit up
with water and spray it on anyway & see what happens.

rob

Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George.com" wrote in message

"Richard1957" wrote in message

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

With a bit of luck one of the old boys in your neighbourhood will have
some in an old glass jar labeled 'jam'. You might also be able to pick up
some DDT or nicotine pesticide as well. Those will be in jars labeled
'chutney' or 'bottled peaches'. If you are not sure exactly what it is,
mix a bit up with water and spray it on anyway & see what happens.

rob

come over here to NZ and if you are quick you can get a nice load of
poisons. Local farmers turned in a load of chemicals. Included was 30 kg of
2,4,5-T, 350 kg of 2,4-D. They also dropped off 10 kg of lindane, 30kg of
synthetic DDT and 15 kg of dieldrin.

rob

Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Registered User

Hi Sherwin

I have the book 'the fruit tree expert' by Dr d.g. Hessayon and on page 50 there is a title called Spraying programs in which it tells you to use these chemicals to prevent the following, apple blossom weevil, canker, scab, capsid bug and many more diseases.
It does say to dilute the stuff though. There is nothing wrong with my trees but I thought that it would benifit them.
If it eliminates the mother in law too thats a definite bonus!! lol!

Do you have any other ideas on prevention of tree diseases?

Thanks

Richard
Old 06-05-2008, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Richard1957 wrote:

Hi Sherwin

I have the book 'the fruit tree expert' by Dr d.g. Hessayon and on page
50 there is a title called Spraying programs in which it tells you to
use these chemicals to prevent the following, apple blossom weevil,
canker, scab, capsid bug and many more diseases.
It does say to dilute the stuff though. There is nothing wrong with my
trees but I thought that it would benifit them.
If it eliminates the mother in law too thats a definite bonus!! lol!

Do you have any other ideas on prevention of tree diseases?

Thanks

Richard

So, 0tterbot, what we have here is a non-American who has a book
which describes diseases that his trees don't have but plans to
spray them (prophylactically?) anyway. Which is to say that he read
a book about problems that his trees don't have, and proposes to spend
money to treat his healthy trees in the hopes that it will somehow
improve his relationship with his mother-in-law.
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling better already;-)
Oh, I'm definitely pulling for the mother-in-law. I can feel her pain.
--

Billy

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Richard1957 wrote:

Hi does anybody know where I could purchase the following pesticides?
Carbendazim and Fenitrothion? Thanks!

--
Richard1957

Richard,

The general rule of thumb in starting a spraying program is to start with the
light stuff first and work your way into stronger stuff, only if the need
arises.

The two biggest insect pests in the USA for apples are the apple maggot and
codling moth. Not everyone has these two, so people can get by with a
general
all purpose orchard spray. These sprays can be considered relatively mild
and
protect against insects and fungal diseases. If you find problems after
applying
these general purpose sprays, you can investigate other sprays that
specifically
target those symptoms. You can buy these general purpose sprays at your
local garden shop. I don't think the UK has many special problems that we
don't
experience here in the States, so you can check our web sites for spraying
info.

You have to go on a regular spraying schedule. Missing a spray date could
have
a big effect on how much fruit you lose, or the health of your trees.
Experience
will tell you how to tailor the recommended schedules for your exact
location.
Don't forget to wear protective gear (breather mask, etc.) when spraying any
chemicals.

Regards to the Mother-In-Law,

Sherwin

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Registered User

I have a book of the Director-General Dr Hessayon fruit tree expert and 50 pages have a title called the spray program, it tells you to use these chemicals in order to prevent the following, apple blossom weevil, ulcer, scab, capsid bugs and Many more diseases. It said these things though watered down.
Pond Kits