Old 28-04-2008, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Default What is the soap and water ratio for aphids

I would like to use soap and water to protect the plants against
aphids. What is the recommended ratio. I was planning to use
Palmolive dish detergent.

Thanks...
Old 28-04-2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I would like to use soap and water to protect the plants against
aphids. What is the recommended ratio. I was planning to use
Palmolive dish detergent.

Thanks...

Mom used tobacco tea, 4 cigarettes per pint of water.

I used ladybugs with better ongoing success. :-)
I have larvae every year now since introducing a couple of hundred of
them to the yard about 4 years ago.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 28-04-2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

about dishwater strength will do sam,

do you ahve ants as well?

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:45:23 -0700 (PDT), Sam
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 29-04-2008, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

Yes, I have ants in the soil. Will they also harm my future plants.
(I just planted this past weekend. Lots of ants. Last year I had
aphid, so want to keep them at bay this year.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 29-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I would like to use soap and water to protect the plants against
aphids. What is the recommended ratio. I was planning to use
Palmolive dish detergent.

Thanks...
According to a friend that uses same method 1/10 - good luck! (I have used this myself)

Old 29-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemack View Post
According to a friend that uses same method 1/10 - good luck! (I have used this myself)
In addition to my last reply I always used fairy liquid!
Old 29-04-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You can also buy Safer's Insecticidal Soap, if you don't want to figure out
the ratio and mix your own (too much soap may harm your plants). A soap
spray will kill the aphids, but it wont prevent them from appearing on your
plants.

--

Visit
www.insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Old 29-04-2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi All,

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Sam wrote:

I would like to use soap and water to protect the plants against
aphids. What is the recommended ratio. I was planning to use
Palmolive dish detergent.

Thanks...

Mom used tobacco tea, 4 cigarettes per pint of water.

It is not a good idea to use the above, as it is a broad spectrum
insectiside and will kill the good as well as the bad. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 29-04-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

g'day sam,

ants can'often bring aphids, scale and mealy bugs onto any of your
plants so you need to move the ants on if you can find their mest
site, there are some ideas on our remedies page.

Old 29-04-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

Beneficial Nematodes.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sam Sam is offline

I used the 1 to 10 ratio suggested by the previous poster...It killed
all my plants! They all dried up overnight. So, I'm going out to buy
new ones.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Sam wrote:

I used the 1 to 10 ratio suggested by the previous poster...It killed
all my plants! They all dried up overnight. So, I'm going out to buy
new ones.

Condolences...

Mom always used Tobacco tea for aphids.
Soak 1 cigarette in a pint of water.

Or do what I did and import a batch of ladybugs. ;-)
I have a regular population of larvae now ever year that totally
controls aphids.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered User

Yes, I have ants in the soil. They will not hurt my future are to the plant. (I just planted this past weekend. a lot of ants. Last year I took part in the Aphids, so to keep them at bay this year.
Pond Kits

Info requested: Soap and water jammer Ponds 3 04-06-2004 06:05 AM
[IBC] Water, oil, soap and rubbing alcohol. Bill Watkins Bonsai 1 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
fish to water ratio? a bolger Ponds 1 19-09-2003 12:36 AM
What kind of soap can I use on Aphids? lbbs Edible Gardening 11 22-07-2003 11:42 AM
What kind of soap can I use on Aphids? lbbs Gardening 10 22-07-2003 06:13 AM