GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long does it take for seeds to sprout? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/174919-how-long-does-take-seeds-sprout.html)

General Schvantzkopf 22-05-2008 04:56 PM

How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

I planted a number of seeds a couple of weeks ago but I don't see any
signs of life yet. I planted the following,

Silver Queen Corn
Peas (soaked the seeds overnight before planting, they looked like they
were sprouting when I planted them).
Beans (same as peas)
Cucumbers
Carrots
Spinach

The only thing that looks like it's coming up is the spinach. There are
some grass like plants in a thin line where I planted the spinach so I
assume that's my plants and not grass.

I have set up an automatic sprinkling system that waters the gardens for
10 minutes before dawn and 10 minutes after sunset.

My tomato and strawberry plants (planted from flats not seeds) are doing
fine with the exception of a couple of rows that appear to have been
eaten by somebody.

Did I plant to early? I'm in Massachusetts near Nashua and Lowell.

Billy[_4_] 22-05-2008 06:37 PM

How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

I planted a number of seeds a couple of weeks ago but I don't see any
signs of life yet. I planted the following,

Silver Queen Corn
Peas (soaked the seeds overnight before planting, they looked like they
were sprouting when I planted them).
Beans (same as peas)
Cucumbers
Carrots

Carrots are known for their tardiness. Do you have any idea of your soil
temperature? Peas should be showing up soon.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde
Crops that will germinate in the coolest soils (down to 40 degrees)
include arugula, fava beans, kale, lettuce, pac choi, parsnips, peas,
radicchio, radish and spinach seed.

With a soil temperature above 50 degrees, Chinese cabbage, leeks,
onions, Swiss chard, and turnips can be planted.

When the soil warms to 60 degrees, warm season and many cool season
vegetables can be sown, including beans, beets, broccoli, Brussels
sprouts, cabbage, carrots and cauliflower. But be forewarned – beans
will not tolerate any frost and may have to be planted again if the
temperature goes below freezing.

Wait until the soil warms to above 70 degrees to plant warm season
vegetables including tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers, squash,
corn and melons. Tomatoes, eggplants and peppers are slow-growing and
take many weeks to grow to the stage where you can plant them out in the
garden, so you might want to purchase these as starts from your local
garden center. On the other hand, squash, cucumbers and corn grow
quickly and are easier to start from seed.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/c.../soiltemp.html
Planting too early, before the soil has had time to warm up, can lead to
seed rot, slowed germination, poor growth and disease. Setting pepper
plants out before the soil temperature is 70 degrees F could stunt their
growth for the entire growing season.

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Billy[_4_] 22-05-2008 06:46 PM

How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

I have set up an automatic sprinkling system that waters the gardens for
10 minutes before dawn and 10 minutes after sunset.

I wouldn't water in the evening because that will cool the soil for the
night. Water extra in the morning, if you need to, when the sun will
re-warm the soil.

My tomato and strawberry plants (planted from flats not seeds) are doing
fine with the exception of a couple of rows that appear to have been
eaten by somebody.

Yikes! Only a couple of rows? When were you going to panic? Are we
taking rolly pollies, snails, or rabbits?

I like tomato cages wrapped with chicken wire for large problems,
like my curious pets, iron (ferric) phosphate for gastropods, and
sets for rolly pollies and earwigs.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

General Schvantzkopf 22-05-2008 06:57 PM

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:46:39 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

I have set up an automatic sprinkling system that waters the gardens
for 10 minutes before dawn and 10 minutes after sunset.

I wouldn't water in the evening because that will cool the soil for the
night. Water extra in the morning, if you need to, when the sun will
re-warm the soil.

My tomato and strawberry plants (planted from flats not seeds) are
doing fine with the exception of a couple of rows that appear to have
been eaten by somebody.

Yikes! Only a couple of rows? When were you going to panic? Are we
taking rolly pollies, snails, or rabbits?

I like tomato cages wrapped with chicken wire for large problems, like
my curious pets, iron (ferric) phosphate for gastropods, and sets for
rolly pollies and earwigs.

I don't know whats doing it. I have two gardens, one 14x60 and the other
15x20. Both have fences around them, the big garden is next to the woods,
the small garden is in the middle of the yard about 5 ft from the big
garden. I planted 42 tomato plants, everything in the small garden is
fine, a couple of rows in the big garden are also fine however two rows
in the big garden were completely eaten. I also put in an Arctic Kiwi
next to my grape arbor, something stripped most of the leaves off of that
also. I planted a couple of marigolds next to the Kiwi, they've been
eaten also. The marigolds in the big and small gardens are fine.

I've caught one groundhog with my live trap and moved him about 5 miles
away, that was before any damage was done. I haven't caught anymore since
the first. Also the groundhog tunnel that was going into my big garden
hasn't been reopened since I filled it in with used cat litter.

The Cook 22-05-2008 09:47 PM

How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 10:56:17 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
wrote:

[...]

Peas, carrots and spinach are cool weather plants. Corn, beans and
cucumbers are warm weather plants. In fact, I just planted my bean
and corn seeds today. The soil must be warm for them to germinate
well. I started my cucumbers in the greenhouse and set them out this
past Monday.

Check with your county extension service or local nursery for planting
and setting out times. Both places should have hand outs with the
information.

Use this link to locate your extension service.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
--
Susan N.

Billy[_4_] 22-05-2008 10:51 PM

[...]

Suggest you get a flashlight and make the rounds of the garden before
you call it a night.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

MrMe 30-05-2008 02:59 AM

[...]

The arm pit of the universe... Lowell that is. That's why. Nothing
grows in Lowell MA.

Actually, I originate from Worcester MA, but reside now in NC. Perfect
weather for all kinds of crops, if'n we get enough water. But seriously,
what has the weather been like ? If they were good viable seed the
silver queen should've popped up within 2 weeks. Mine was all up
within 10 days, but then the weather has been perfect this year. The
same with my snow peas, cukes, swiss chard, crook necks, string beans,
tomato, broccoli ( and whatever else I got out there ). And some were
seed from last year ( kept in freezer ).

Then again, I planted a later crop of 'honey sweet' corn seed. Fresh
seed. After 12 days and only 25 plants out of 3 rows I began diggin'
up some of the seed and sure enough most had sprouted. Just growin'
real slow I guess. MA has some peculiar weather early on. Probably
cold nights with mediocra days. Dig up some seed and see what
they're doing. If they are sprouting giv'em time. Don't water every
day and night. Too much water ( especially through the night ) might
rot the seed.

Usually seed packets have information about what temp, how deep,
when to plant etc on the back of the pack. I do know that I don't start
my cooler crops until soil gets up to 55ish degrees at least. Here
that can happen as early as April, but up there I think it takes longer.
But then I also remember for corn "knee high by 4th of July" if'n
you're gonna make corn in MA. So that would spell plant in June to
me.

Another thing to do is move south - then you can grow stuff year
round. I grew swiss chard, collard, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprout,
turnip and cauliflower streight through the winter ( which lasts 2
months here in the sand-hills area ).

Good luck

= Me =

[email protected] 31-05-2008 02:32 AM

How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:47:04 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

:Check with your county extension service or local nursery for planting
:and setting out times. Both places should have hand outs with the
:information.

When I first started getting into vegetable gardening I bought a book,
Sunset I think. It had a page or two for each vegetable and included all
kinds of appropriate information including when to plant, what pests to
look out for, caveats, etc. I still have that book and several others.

[email protected] 31-05-2008 02:35 AM

How long does it take for seeds to sprout?

Some seed comes up a lot sooner than others. Some you want 1/4 inch
deep, some much deeper. Most seeds are viable for years but it varies
considerably. Some will be viable for 2-3 years, some 7-8. You can test
your seed to see if it will sprout by putting it between a couple of
layers of moistened paper towel between two saucers for a few days and
observe if little white roots come out of them. The paper towels must
stay somewhat moist, so keep an eye on them.

Dan