Dethatch or Aerate first?

Old 25-04-2003, 01:32 PM
lbbs

Default Dethatch or Aerate first?

Does it matter on the order you do it. Also, what time of the year to do
it?

Old 25-04-2003, 02:08 PM
David J. Bockman

Generally both are done in the fall... dethatching a lawn should only be
done every 5 years or so. If it has *never* been done to the lawn (or it's
been a great number of years), you can expect to pull up an enormous amount
of thatch... if you do it in the spring, you really should overseed
immediately as the newly opened space will quickly trigger all sorts of weed
seed germination (weed seeds that have been lying dormant, sometimes for
years).

Core aeration is also typically a fall task. I like to core aerate every
year, followed immediately by fall feeding and any soil amendments I might
be putting down.

Dave

Old 25-04-2003, 02:44 PM
animaux

If you aerate and put down some form of humate, be it in compost or one of the
humate liquids, you do not need to dethatch. Thatch build up comes as a direct
result of poor watering practice. People water too shallow, and too often.
Watering once a week, laying down a full inch of water will send the plants
roots into the soil. When you water shallow, the roots stay up at the top near
and above the soil, thus, thatch.

I live in Texas and just had my lawn core aerated. I will probably do it again
in the fall, but once a year is all you need if you water properly. Watering
one inch sends water 8 inches into the soil.

Old 25-04-2003, 04:56 PM
jc

"lbbs" wrote in message
Does it matter on the order you do it. Also, what time of the year

to do
it?

Depends on where you live and what kind of turf. Warm season
Bermudagrasses, for example, are usually dethatched in the spring after
the grass is growing good to give it a chance to recover - sometimes
also in the fall before it goes dormant. If overseeding with ryegrass
for the winter, Bermuda lawns are dethatched just before sowing the
ryegrass, than again in the spring to kill off the ryegrass to encourage
the Bermuda. -Olin

Old 25-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Marley1372

It dosent matter which one, though you should always crosspost first.

Toad
Old 25-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Big B

Bitch, bitch, bitch. Is your life that bad that this offfended you ?
Big deal, grow up.

Old 26-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Marley1372

of course it didnt offend me, its just annoying when people do that. And it
was sort of a joke, mellow out.

Toad