Old 15-06-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sowing more than one seed in a hole

I planted three things from seeds: carrots, cucumbers, and
cantaloupe. All are growing pretty well. When I planted them, I did
as the instructions said - I sowed 2-3 seeds in a hole. Now, I have
two plants growing out of each hole. What do I do now? In any one
spot, if one looked weaker than the other, I would remove it. But
each plant looks as healthy as the other in the same hole. What do I
do?
Old 16-06-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If they are in small pots, then you can dump them out onto a
newspaper and (very carefully) separate the two plants. Then plant
each one in its own spot.

Otherwise, the "2 seeds per hole" idea is just to ensure that you'll
get at least one good plant without any blank spots in your garden.
You'll probably have to sacrifice one of them eventually so that the
other can thrive.

I've heard stories of people going ahead and letting both plants
grow together in the same spot--thus, occassionally creating a
mega-plant--but more likely, they will both end up weaker than normal
since they are competing for the same nutrients when they are that
close together.
Old 16-06-2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 15, 9:42 pm, Angello Huong wrote:
If they are in small pots, then you can dump them out onto a
newspaper and (very carefully) separate the two plants. Then plant
each one in its own spot.

Otherwise, the "2 seeds per hole" idea is just to ensure that you'll
get at least one good plant without any blank spots in your garden.
You'll probably have to sacrifice one of them eventually so that the
other can thrive.

I've heard stories of people going ahead and letting both plants
grow together in the same spot--thus, occassionally creating a
mega-plant--but more likely, they will both end up weaker than normal
since they are competing for the same nutrients when they are that
close together.

But you are saying that I do have to (or should) remove one of the
plants? Correct? I'm guessing yes.
Old 17-06-2008, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

But you are saying that I do have to (or should) remove one of the
plants? Correct? I'm guessing yes.

Yes. One of the plants will have to be removed or else both them
will end up having stunted growth.

Old 17-06-2008, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Angello Huong wrote:

But you are saying that I do have to (or should) remove one of the
plants? Correct? I'm guessing yes.

Yes. One of the plants will have to be removed or else both them
will end up having stunted growth.

The alternative is to dig them up. Carefully wash the dirt off of the
roots and separate them. Now you have two plants;-)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 18-06-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Just one last question. As there are two plants growing out of the
same hole that I sowed the seeds (I have carrots, cantaloupe, and
cucumbers), I have to get rid one one. If I can't dig them up and
wash them off and replant one, I guess I should just clip one off with
scissors. Correct? Thanks for the help everyone. I'm new to this,
but growing a vegetable garden is fun so far.
Old 18-06-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
wrote:

Just one last question. As there are two plants growing out of the
same hole that I sowed the seeds (I have carrots, cantaloupe, and
cucumbers), I have to get rid one one. If I can't dig them up and
wash them off and replant one, I guess I should just clip one off with
scissors. Correct? Thanks for the help everyone. I'm new to this,
but growing a vegetable garden is fun so far.

How big is the plant and what kind is it? You can dig up the
plants, separate them and replant them but I wouldn't recommend it
unless you wanted one more plant and the only other option is
starting from seed. Digging up the plants will damage he smaller
(most important) root hairs and will set your plants back as they
recover. If you decide to dig up your plants, carefully remove the dirt
from the roots with a gentle flow of water. Gently separate the roots
starting at their tip NOT THE BASE OF THE SEEDLING. Do not grasp the
seedling by its' stalk, hold only the roots and GENTLY spread them from
from the center to the side (this is best done under running water.
(Again, DO NOT PULL ON THE STALK.) There will be a bit of a tangle at
the end and you probably will lose some smaller roots. Replant,
fish emulsion, and give partial shade for a week.

This is quicker than germinating from seed. You will lose some time in
the plants development, compared to having snipped one plant and letting
the other develop. You may kill both plants, not likely but possible.

I would be tempted to do this with tomatoes for which there was no
replacement. Otherwise, snip the second plant and get another one from
the nursery. There is always next year;o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars