Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Growing Kabochas - When to pick them?

I grow kabocha squash, the so-called Japanese pumpkins. The plants look
for all the world to me just like pumpkins, zuchini and probably several
other squash type plants, and I can only tell what I'm growing for sure
when the "fruits" start growing. In fact, I have a couple of plants
right now that have me scratching my head and don't know what they are,
really.

Kabochas are rather like acorn squash, is my feeling. The meat is redder
than pumpkin, somewhat denser, and definitely sweeter. I can use them in
anything requiring pumpkin and also use them like acorn squash. They are
very tasty plain, or with butter. They seem to thrive in conditions that
work for pumpkins but tolerate somewhat cooler temperatures.

I plant many seeds and I don't thin at all. Given the choice between
quantity and size, I go for quantity. I'd rather have more plants
growing smaller fruit then less plants growing large fruits.

Each plant seems content to grow one "pumpkin" and then won't set
further fruit, or if it does, the extra fruit are practically nothing,
never getting bigger than a tennis ball. I figure I can grow more if I
harvest the first setting fruits before the season nears an end and let
another fruit set for each plant. That might double my crop, I figure.

Well, here's my question: these kabochas keep very well and in fact I
still have one or two from last season in the house. If I pick them way
before the season is over, say even before they turn completely grey
like they eventually do, will they keep as well as if I let them "cure
completely" on the vine? At what point can I "safely" remove them from
the vines?

Dan
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

said:

Each plant seems content to grow one "pumpkin" and then won't set
further fruit, or if it does, the extra fruit are practically nothing,
never getting bigger than a tennis ball. I figure I can grow more if I
harvest the first setting fruits before the season nears an end and let
another fruit set for each plant. That might double my crop, I figure.

It seems the plants are aborting any beyond the first fruit set as beyond
their capacity to support. Squash will do that.

Well, here's my question: these kabochas keep very well and in fact I
still have one or two from last season in the house. If I pick them way
before the season is over, say even before they turn completely grey
like they eventually do, will they keep as well as if I let them "cure
completely" on the vine? At what point can I "safely" remove them from
the vines?

No, if you pick them early enough to leave time for more fruit, you will
only get two inferior squash instead of one fantastic squash per plant,
and maybe not get that second squash at all. (The days grow short
quite rapidly at the end of the season.)

For best keeping, the squash should be grown on the vine until it has
a tough rind and very hard stem. Generally, this isn't until the squash
has reached its proper varietal appearance. (One exception being some
varieties of ornamental pumpkins which are bred to color up early.)
Many winter squash will take on a silvery/powdery 'bloom' when they
are mature.

For best flavor, squash should be left on the vine as long as possible,
and removed only when the vines have begun to die back and/or frosts
threaten.

"Tetsukabuta" is kabocha-type squash variety that is exceptionally
productive per vine. It is a hybrid between two species of squash,
Cucurbita maxima and C. moschata, and should be grown along with
either a standard kabocha or buttercup (C. maxima) or a butternut
type (C. moschata) for best fruit set. Seeds available from Pinetree
Garden Seeds (in the Around the World Asian section) .

I grow this every year, along with a butternut, and it definitely
produces multiple squashes per plant for me, where most other
large fruited squash produce no more than one (maybe two) per vine.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 06:52:35 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

said:
:
[...]

Thank you. This is just the response I hoped to get, i.e. a definitive
answer by someone who knows the turf.
:
:"Tetsukabuta" is kabocha-type squash variety that is exceptionally
roductive per vine. It is a hybrid between two species of squash,
:Cucurbita maxima and C. moschata, and should be grown along with
:either a standard kabocha or buttercup (C. maxima) or a butternut
:type (C. moschata) for best fruit set. Seeds available from Pinetree
:Garden Seeds (in the Around the World Asian section) .
:
:I grow this every year, along with a butternut, and it definitely
roduces multiple squashes per plant for me, where most other
:large fruited squash produce no more than one (maybe two) per vine.

If I get Tetsukabuta seeds and grow them, will the seeds of its squash
produce more Tetsukabutas or do I need to always plant seeds provided by
a seed provider? Being a hybrid, I believe this is a concern if not a
certainty. I had an onion in the garden for several years, the seeds of
which steadfastly refused to germinate. I finally destroyed the plant a
couple of months ago in retaliation! The strip of earth it grew on is
now fallow, but I figure I'll need onion seeds or sets for my next foray
into onion growing, should I decide to resume it.

I assume you are saying to grow Tetsukabuta "along with
either a standard kabocha or buttercup (C. maxima) or a butternut
type (C. moschata) for best fruit set" for pollination advantages? Will
it render the Tetsukabuta's seeds viable and useful?

I typically have pollination problems early in the season. Every year (I
think there was only one exception in recent years) the first flowers
are all female and there are no males to pollinate. As soon as a male
appears (maybe 2 or more weeks later) I use a haiku brush to manually
pollinate all females I can find. The first males are always small and
nearly devoid of pollen, but subsequent males are progressively better
endowed. This year I'm finding the bee population rather sparse and I've
been continuing to manually pollinate all females just to be sure they
are pollinated.

This year one "standard" orange pumpkin has managed to sneak into the
crop, and there are at least two plants the nature of which has me
pretty much flumuxed. The fruits are almost kabocha-like, but are
cream-white and slightly narrower near the stem. I searched my local
market for verisimilitude and the only thing that looks similar
(although not a perfect match) were (I think) butternut. I have no clue
how they got into my garden. The largest of these (there are two
diminutive ones) is the size of a good-sized cataloup or a small
honeydew, and you can see it he

http://fox302.com/userdata/Muse/file...terySquash.jpg

As you can see, it's really nothing like a butternut now, and it's
starting to show some color other than the original cream-white.

As well, a few of my current kabochas look lighter in color than most of
the others. I use my own home-produced compost, never buy butternut.
Next year, however, my compost may be generating who-knows-what, because
I've gotten into the habit of raiding my neighbors' green yard waste
bins with my wheelbarrow. I have a very impressive heap of compost going
already. The garden is going great guns this year but next year may be a
real eye-popper.

BTW, I'm in Berkeley, CA, the winters rarely reach freezing temperatures
and weather warm enough to start growing summer vegetables occur
sometime in March, early March if I'm lucky, last week if unlucky.
Summers are moderate with occasional heat waves when it gets in the 90s.
With luck, I get full sun all day, but there are always spates when the
mornings are foggy and there are always a few days that remain cloudy.

Dan
Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I forgot to mention something concerning my problems getting early male
kabocha flowers. I developed a theory last summer that my kabochas were
refusing to turn out male flowers early (I believe I posted the problem
in this newsgroup a few years ago and people said it was not a problem
one would expect) because I had been in the habit of always planting
seeds from my own crops. I figured the plants were maybe (this is almost
hypothetical) trying in their own way to hold out for pollen from a
stand of squash other than my own in an attempt to escape the inbreeding
they had been subjected to for a few years.

Indulging this theory, I bought one decent sized kabocha from my local
market this last winter and dried the seeds from it and mixed them with
the others I planted early this March in hopes that at least the plants
from the store-bought kabocha would send out male flowers early. It
didn't seem to work.

Dan
Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
:
[...]

No, you would need to repurchase seeds at intervals.

I assume you are saying to grow Tetsukabuta "along with
either a standard kabocha or buttercup (C. maxima) or a butternut
type (C. moschata) for best fruit set" for pollination advantages? Will
it render the Tetsukabuta's seeds viable and useful?

I don't know how viable the next generation seeds would be. There's
no telling what (if anything) would result from them.

It occurs to me that the C. moschata parent of "Tetsukabuto" might
be a squash very much like the variety "Black Futsu." Now, this one
would breed true and could be seed saved (if you were growing it
in isolation from other C. moschata squash). And it should be more
productive than any C. maxima variety could dream of being...though
perhaps a bit smaller than "Tetsubabuto," it looks like, with a slightly
larger seed cavity.

http://www.ghorganics.com/BlackFutsuSquash.htm
http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1123/221

It's not carried by any of my favorite sources, but maybe I should order
some seeds next year.

I typically have pollination problems early in the season. Every year (I
think there was only one exception in recent years) the first flowers
are all female and there are no males to pollinate. As soon as a male
appears (maybe 2 or more weeks later) I use a haiku brush to manually
pollinate all females I can find. The first males are always small and
nearly devoid of pollen, but subsequent males are progressively better
endowed. This year I'm finding the bee population rather sparse and I've
been continuing to manually pollinate all females just to be sure they
are pollinated.

I lose a lot of the first male flowers as tiny buds. It seems that they start
forming at just about the time the starlings give their young ones the
final boot, and the inexperienced birds tend to peck at what they think
might be a bug (or something). Either that, or it's random vandalism
after they tank up on mulberries. They snap at the first small zuchinnis
and eggplants, too (the beak marks are pretty obvious on these).

I'm lucky enough to have plenty of bees around once I do get flowers,
though.

This year one "standard" orange pumpkin has managed to sneak into the
crop, and there are at least two plants the nature of which has me
pretty much flumuxed. The fruits are almost kabocha-like, but are
cream-white and slightly narrower near the stem. I searched my local
market for verisimilitude and the only thing that looks similar
(although not a perfect match) were (I think) butternut. I have no clue
how they got into my garden. The largest of these (there are two
diminutive ones) is the size of a good-sized cataloup or a small
honeydew, and you can see it he

http://fox302.com/userdata/Muse/file...terySquash.jpg

No, that looks more like an unripe "Red Kuri" or one of the varieties
they sell as "miniature Hubbard" squashes. Butternuts have very
distinctly angular stems.

There are jumbo "pumpkins" which are actually C. maxima squash
(rather than being C. pepo). Maybe you've gotten pollen from something
like that, or maybe even "Red Kuri" pollen accidentally brought in.

I've gotten into the habit of raiding my neighbors' green yard waste
bins with my wheelbarrow. I have a very impressive heap of compost going
already. The garden is going great guns this year but next year may be a
real eye-popper.

I generally leave the summer-generated yard waste alone, but come
autumn, we make multiple car trips to bring back leaves. Lots and
lots and lots of leaves.

BTW, I'm in Berkeley, CA, the winters rarely reach freezing temperatures
and weather warm enough to start growing summer vegetables occur
sometime in March, early March if I'm lucky, last week if unlucky.
Summers are moderate with occasional heat waves when it gets in the 90s.
With luck, I get full sun all day, but there are always spates when the
mornings are foggy and there are always a few days that remain cloudy.

I've been to Berkley, MI but never the similarly named and more famous
California town.

I will be in California next week at this time, going out with my mother
to see her brother in Sacramento. (Been watching the air quality and
fire stories with some concern.)

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:03:19 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

said:
:
:
:On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 06:52:35 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:
::
[...]

As I said, more productive in terms or greater quantity albeit smaller
size/weight is preferable for me, cooking typically for myself. A big
kabocha is likely halved and the other half saved for perhaps two weeks
in the refrigerator (the largest I had last year were a couple in excess
of 3 lb.). That has seemed to work out OK, but of course, it's better to
use the whole thing at once. So, slightly smaller isn't necessary a
knock on a varietal.
:
:http://www.ghorganics.com/BlackFutsuSquash.htm

These people charge $6 for looks like 12 - 25 or so seeds, before
shipping. Black Futsu.

:http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1123/221

Here the seeds are $2, before shipping. I can't tell how many seeds
would be included. Have you done business with them?
:
[...]

I don't remember ever having a bird problem with my squash (they attack
my plums with gusto, however they are so plentiful it doesn't concern
me). Possibly a few seedlings have been nipped, but most often that's
caused by varmints residing in the soil, presumably earwigs, sowbugs or
perhaps even slugs. I don't know if I should or shouldn't, but I
typically apply a light sprinkling of environmentally friendly
snail/slug pellets and also a light sprinkling of now-illegal (to sell,
I suppose) diazinon, which I still have. That seems to deter whatever is
eating my small seedlings. Once they get past a couple weeks old, they
seem to hold their own against whatever and I don't apply anything
thereafter. The containers would have me believe that there's no toxic
penalty to pay for these applications.
:
:I'm lucky enough to have plenty of bees around once I do get flowers,
:though.

A variety of insects have by now staked out my squash, including at
least a couple varieties of bees, but the female flowers are so few and
far between at this point (the plants that have done anything are
already set with fruit and aren't even producing female flowers for the
most part, and even if they do, they are unlikely to set) that I still
go out each morning and personally pollinate any female flowers I can
find. There's only been 2-3 the last week.
:
[...]

I don't know where to get leaves, although I have noticed in the past
accumulations on the local streets come autumn. Other than random
clippings from this and that on my own property, I've relied on the
occasional raid of someone else's cast-off yard waste until I hit on the
idea this year of checking out the green bins on my block's sidewalk
each Wednesday morning. When I spot bins (lifting lids) that look
acceptable, I truck out my wheel barrow. I know I get a lot of weed
seeds, but hope that they will be destroyed in the composting process. I
also hope that they haven't been treated with pesticides. In most cases,
that would seem doubtful. Of course, I stay away from anything that
seems problematical. For the most part it seems to be wildly growing
random plants (i.e. "weeds") growing in people's back yards. I don't
recall smelling anything that smacked of toxicity.

:
:BTW, I'm in Berkeley, CA, the winters rarely reach freezing temperatures
:and weather warm enough to start growing summer vegetables occur
:sometime in March, early March if I'm lucky, last week if unlucky.
:Summers are moderate with occasional heat waves when it gets in the 90s.
:With luck, I get full sun all day, but there are always spates when the
:mornings are foggy and there are always a few days that remain cloudy.
:
:I've been to Berkley, MI but never the similarly named and more famous
:California town.

I feel that Berkeley's fame has gone to the residents' heads and made
them giddy in some measure. I'm sure it's not universally true, but many
of the things that go on here and continue to keep the town (130,000
population, tops I think) in the nation's and world's news are partly
the product of some people's appetite for fame moreso than their sincere
devotion to legitimate issues, is my feeling sometimes. That said, a
list of some of the forward looking positions taken here is rather
impressive. That's with the luxury of hindsight, of course.
:
:I will be in California next week at this time, going out with my mother
:to see her brother in Sacramento. (Been watching the air quality and
:fire stories with some concern.)

There are still over 300 fires or so burning in Northern California, and
air quality is still an issue in many places. The air has cleared where
I am, thankfully. Two weeks ago and for almost a week thereafter, the
air was so bad here that even when it was "sunny" it seemed like a 3/4
eclipse of the sun was in effect. 1/2 the time it was simply cloudy, to
boot, and I despaired somewhat for my poor squash and tomatoes. Well,
they are fine, of course, and the sun has returned in full force.

It will be hot today through Thursday here (93ish, is the projection),
and rather hotter (probably over 100, maybe 105?) in Sacramento.
However, I'd expect that over the weekend, 100 during the day there can
be expected. Hopefully you will be protected by AC! I stayed in
Sacramento for around a week when I was 16-17, probably in June or July
and the one thing I was impressed with was the unremitting heat of the
days. We had no AC, though.

Dan

Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 5, 1:17*pm, Dan Musicant ) wrote:
[...]

Dan. If you planted seed from a storebought kabocha type. It could be
a cross with any other C. maxima, within a bees flight path. Unless
the planter had a pure field, expect cross pollinated squash. There
are a bout dozen different versions of kabocha.

The Tetsukabuta is a special interspecies cross by Sakata. The process
of making an interspecies cross is pretty complicated and patented. It
requires modification of the pollen from one species to be accepted by
the other. The result is considered to sterile, but I have not tried
it. As far as I know that is the only one available in the US although
Sakata has named several others.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

I've done business with Territorial in the past. They are highly
rated by the folks he

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

My best quality mail-ordered garlic was from Territorial.

Golden Harvest Organics also has positive feedback there, but mainly
in regard to fertilizers and supplies.

:I will be in California next week at this time, going out with my mother
:to see her brother in Sacramento. (Been watching the air quality and
:fire stories with some concern.)

snip

It will be hot today through Thursday here (93ish, is the projection),
and rather hotter (probably over 100, maybe 105?) in Sacramento.
However, I'd expect that over the weekend, 100 during the day there can
be expected. Hopefully you will be protected by AC! I stayed in
Sacramento for around a week when I was 16-17, probably in June or July
and the one thing I was impressed with was the unremitting heat of the
days. We had no AC, though.

Sacramento is flirting with record highs nearing 110 today, according
to the Weather Channel. I hear it's a dry heat, though...we've been pretty
steam-bathish here. The sweat pours off but has nowhere to evaporate to.

We've had so much rain that I don't think I've had to water anything other
than pots and initial transplants for the last month. That's really unusual.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 06:20:15 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

:Sacramento is flirting with record highs nearing 110 today, according
:to the Weather Channel. I hear it's a dry heat, though...we've been pretty
:steam-bathish here. The sweat pours off but has nowhere to evaporate to.
:
:We've had so much rain that I don't think I've had to water anything other
:than pots and initial transplants for the last month. That's really unusual.

I watched the news' take on the weather last night but they didn't
announce Sacto. I figured somewhere in the high 100s. Indeed communities
only 20-25 miles from me were hitting 110 and above in some cases. It
only reached 83 here, according to my outdoor digital thermometer, which
features a memory! I was rather surprised.

I think the weekend will see some significant improvement in inland
weather in Northern California. It will still be hot there, of course.
That's the norm. Dry, yes. Humid seriously hot weather is pretty much a
rarity in MY experience in CA.

When it's hot like this I water my squash in the morning as soon as the
sun is prevalent enough to evaporate the water on the leaves. I don't
want the leaves to have any more wetness than necessary for any longer
than necessary due to the fungus problems I always have on the squash
leaves toward the end of the season. I've been treating the leaves with
a solution of baking soda (sprayed on with a hand sprayer) when I start
noticing fungus on the leaves, and that seems to control the fungus
pretty well. I also have sulphur, but figure baking soda's probably
healthier to be applying to the plants.

Seems like we've had little more than enough cumulative rain here since
February to even get your clothes wet! My tomatoes tolerate occasional
watering far better than the squash. Even when the root zone is very
wet, the squash leaves droop some in full sunshine for many of the
plants. This may not threaten the health of the plants but obviously
they are going to grow better if the leaves don't droop and absorb
accordingly more sunshine. The plants seem to do better when growing in
a bog, as long as the fungus is kept at bay.

Dan

Old 09-07-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 06:32:07 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

said:
:
:The Tetsukabuta is a special interspecies cross by Sakata. The process
:of making an interspecies cross is pretty complicated and patented. It
:requires modification of the pollen from one species to be accepted by
:the other. The result is considered to sterile, but I have not tried
:it. As far as I know that is the only one available in the US although
:Sakata has named several others.
:
:All I can say is that it's a beautiful squash, and very productive even in
:the face of squash vine borers. I supposed it gets that trait from its
:C. moschata parent, as C. maxima squash tend to be quite vulnerable.
That's why I grow butternuts as a pollinator for them.)
:
:Some of the seed from the harvest looks plump enough to be viable, but
:a lot of it looks... puny might be the proper word.. I've never been
:tempted to save any seeds to see if they sprout or not.

I think I shall have to try Tetsukabuta at least one season (probably
nexe!), and also Black Futsu.

I don't recall ever having problems with pests in my squash/pumpkin
growing adventures. I used to grow pumpkins exclusively. I actually got
into kabocha cultivation completely by accident. One year a kabocha came
up in my pumpkin patch, perhaps more than one. This was a few years ago.
I hadn't a clue what I was growing and when I spotted what looked like
the same squash at my local very well produce stocked market, I asked
what it was and was told "kabocha." I've grown them exclusively ever
since, preferring them very much to pumpkins, which is (I think) what
you are referring to when you speak of C. Maximus, right? Even so, I
often find a pumpkin or two in my patch, and there is one beautiful
specimen in my garden at present, about the size of a volley ball.

In order to control what comes up next year, assuming I purchase seeds
online, I'm obviously going to have to stop tossing the seeds and pulp
from my squash into my compost. I get volunteers in my tomatoes, basil
and celery (which I pull). No doubt, I currently also get volunteers
among my squash, but can't determine which plants are volunteers.

Dan

Old 10-07-2008, 09:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

I cooked my very last kabocha last night. It was about the size of a
small grapefruit. By appearance it hadn't matured completely. It was
still quite brown, rather than the grey typical of a fruit that has
remained on the plant "indefinitely." However, it felt completely tight
and ROCK-HARD all over, completely devoid of blemishes! My experience
from last year was that 1/2 the fruits were cooked because they had
begun to show some kind of degradation as though if they weren't
consumed soon, they would rot in short order. This one particular squash
I partly ate last night (it's in a vege stir fry I am keeping
refrigerated for occasional use) was a beautiful orange complexion
meat-wise, unusually so. It seems inferior in no way except perhaps the
flavor. Indeed, if it were allowed to completely mature on the vine, it
might taste a lot better.

My yardstick last year for picking was my judgment that the squash were
no longer getting nutrients and water through their stems. IOW, if I saw
no juice in the cut stem after removing the fruit, I decided that
perhaps the fruit had reached a state in which it would be no detriment
to remove it and thereby I could let the plant set another fruit.

Dan
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

said:

I don't recall ever having problems with pests in my squash/pumpkin
growing adventures.

I think those damned squash vine borers are only found east of the Rockies.
The other annoying pests of squash (here) are striped cucumber beetles,
which can chew young squash plants to nubs. These can carry a wilt
disease (the reason I don't grow cukes or melons anymore).

I used to grow pumpkins exclusively. I actually got
into kabocha cultivation completely by accident. One year a kabocha came
up in my pumpkin patch, perhaps more than one. This was a few years ago.
I hadn't a clue what I was growing and when I spotted what looked like
the same squash at my local very well produce stocked market, I asked
what it was and was told "kabocha." I've grown them exclusively ever
since, preferring them very much to pumpkins, which is (I think) what
you are referring to when you speak of C. Maximus, right?

Most of the 'classic' Jack o'lantern and pie pumpkins are C. pepo, as are
acorn, sweet dumplings, and delicata squash (plus zuchinnis other summer
squash). But there are a few C. maxima types that are orange and grown as
pumpkins (and all of the giant monster pumpkins are C. maxima). The
ghostly white pumpkins are C. maxima, too.

Even so, I
often find a pumpkin or two in my patch, and there is one beautiful
specimen in my garden at present, about the size of a volley ball.

In order to control what comes up next year, assuming I purchase seeds
online, I'm obviously going to have to stop tossing the seeds and pulp
from my squash into my compost. I get volunteers in my tomatoes, basil
and celery (which I pull). No doubt, I currently also get volunteers
among my squash, but can't determine which plants are volunteers.

Clean those seeds off a bit and you could either roast and eat them yourself
or feed them to the local wildlife. The local squirrels and cardinals are
crazy for squash seeds.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

I have to keep an eye on my stored squash for that. But since I like
to used my squash mostly for things like soup or in waffles, I usually
process them into a puree and freeze them.

The longest a squash I had grew has kept (before rotting) was 1-1/2
years! It was a large C. moshata (not a necked variety, a flat round
type that my daughter nick-named "butt pumpkin" because it looked
like a circle of derrieres). I let it go out of curiosity. It didn't dry out,
it rotted in the end.

My yardstick last year for picking was my judgment that the squash were
no longer getting nutrients and water through their stems. IOW, if I saw
no juice in the cut stem after removing the fruit, I decided that
perhaps the fruit had reached a state in which it would be no detriment
to remove it and thereby I could let the plant set another fruit.

Even once harvested, squash should still be left in a warm, sunny
place to "cure" for a week or so. Something not generally available
at my place in late October.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 06:20:41 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

said:
:
:
wrote:
:
[...]

I have a wonderful pumpkin soup recipe I've made many many times:
- - - -
Moroccan Pumpkin Soup:

2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 cup dried, washed and soaked overnight and
then cooked 1 1/4 hours, or canned)
3 Tbls olive or vegetable oil
2 leeks (white and light green part only) or 2 large onions, chopped
(about 1 1/2 cups)
8 cups of broth (or bullion)
2 1/2 lbs pumpkin, about 4 cups (after mashing), baked, parboiled or
canned. (Bake or parboil until soft, pumpkin or other winter squash.
Seed, halve and bake cut side down or peel, seed, chop and parboil,
until soft)
2-4 Tbls sugar or honey
2 tsp ground cinnamon, or 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
1/8 tsp ground allspice (or nutmeg, or a pinch of ground cloves)
about 2 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-low heat. Add the leeks or
onions and saute until soft and translucent, 5 to 10 min.

Combine the broth, pumpkin, chickpeas, sugar, spices, salt and pepper
and heat until boiling point. Reduce
heat to low, and simmer. If using the cinnamon stick, simmer for 15
minutes and discard stick. Check for seasonings. Combine with cooked
leeks or onions.

Serves 8.
- - - -

I think I may have put pumpkin in waffles a time or two, puree, of
course. I do have a fair amount of frozen pumpkin and kabocha puree
(cooked, of course) in the freezer. The recipies I usually use it in are
the above soup recipe and this amazing recipe:

- - - -
Pumpkin Cake

1 29 oz. can pumpkin (or use fresh)
12 oz. evaporated milk (one can). For this, you can substitute 11 oz.
water and 1 cup non-fat milk powder.
4 eggs
1 cup sugar (brown is OK too)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 package Duncan Hines Cake mix, yellow (other brand should work OK)
1 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped nuts (I always use pecans, but walnuts might work well)
I generally make a 1/2 recipe.

Mix first 7 ingredients well. Pour into 9 x 13 pan (greased with towel
and margarine). Sprinkle dry cake mix on top of mixture, sprinkle nuts
over cake, sprinkle butter over cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or
until cake tester comes out clean.
- - - -

:
:The longest a squash I had grew has kept (before rotting) was 1-1/2
:years! It was a large C. moshata (not a necked variety, a flat round
:type that my daughter nick-named "butt pumpkin" because it looked
:like a circle of derrieres). I let it go out of curiosity. It didn't dry out,
:it rotted in the end.

The one I cooked last night may well have been at 11 months, possibly
longer, and looked and felt for all the world like it was just picked.
It wouldn't surprise me if it would have lasted another 6 months to a
year. I ate it because I was out of squash otherwise.
:
: My yardstick last year for picking was my judgment that the squash were
:no longer getting nutrients and water through their stems. IOW, if I saw
:no juice in the cut stem after removing the fruit, I decided that
:perhaps the fruit had reached a state in which it would be no detriment
:to remove it and thereby I could let the plant set another fruit.
:
:
:Even once harvested, squash should still be left in a warm, sunny
lace to "cure" for a week or so. Something not generally available
:at my place in late October.

Here, it's common to have warm weather in October. It's generally not
until November that cold days start being pretty ordinary.

BTW, it looks like you will have perhaps better weather over the weekend
in Sacto than normal. 90 degrees, is what they said yesterday for inland
locations.

Dan