Old 21-07-2008, 06:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
No Name

Default Film cotainers for seeds? R They Safe?

I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year but someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

Old 23-07-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message news:_cVgk.703$nu6.11@edtnps83...
I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year but
someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for
seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of
using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

I use them for my vitamins. I can't see any reason they'd have problems.

Old 25-07-2008, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:33:46 GMT, wrote:

I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year but someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

I like to use film containers because they are air tight and, if
packed in low hunidity, will keep the seeds dry. They do take up more
space than ziplocks, but most ziplocks are not gas tight and difuse
water vapor and CO2.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:07:22 -0700, Pls_reply_to_group wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:11:41 -0500, B. Server wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:33:46 GMT, wrote:

I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year but someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe for seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

I like to use film containers because they are air tight and, if
packed in low hunidity, will keep the seeds dry. They do take up more
space than ziplocks, but most ziplocks are not gas tight and difuse
water vapor and CO2.

A few years ago there was a letter in Cook's Illustrated which recommended using
film canisters to pack condiments for picnicking. In the next issue they
printed a note retracting that suggestion because film canisters are not made of
food-grade plastic and therefore could leech nasty stuff. Whether that would
affect seeds I don't know.

Could be. I doubt it. The containers are intended to contain
unexposed film and consequently, I would bet that they are designed to
outgas very little under any circumstance in which you would want a
live seed to be stored. If you leave them on the dashboard of your
car parked in Phoenix in August, the outgassing will be the least of
the problems.

Cook's Illustrated is basically saying that it is not a good idea to
store food that you will eat in containers not intended for food.

My experience has been that they are a lot "safer" for seeds (not
food) than leaving them in ziplock bags; most of which are not gas
tight.

YMMV

--BS
Old 03-08-2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message

I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year
but
someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe
for
seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the
safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

I use a variety of things for seed saving, these include; film canisters,
envelopes, dark brown glass bottles from medications/vitamins, clear glass
vials that used to hold vanilla pods, small Moccona coffee jars. And if I'm
stealing seeds from a plant I see when I'm out and about it can be a tissue
or a handkerchief or just the zippered section of my purse or my pocket
or......

Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article 489553d9$0$24198$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, ask@itshall says...
wrote in message

I was thinking of useing old film containers to store seeds for next year
but
someone said that these containers are full of chemicals and aren't safe
for
seeds. Does anyone use these, or has any knowledge in regards to the
safety of using film containers to store seeds in?TIZ

I use a variety of things for seed saving, these include; film canisters,
envelopes, dark brown glass bottles from medications/vitamins, clear glass
vials that used to hold vanilla pods, small Moccona coffee jars. And if I'm
stealing seeds from a plant I see when I'm out and about it can be a tissue
or a handkerchief or just the zippered section of my purse or my pocket
or......

Don;t get pulled over by the cops or customs with any seeds in a film
canister. They get VERY excited when they find film canisters in a
behicle they are searching. I remember one case where I was stopped at
the Texas/Mexico border and searched. This was before digital cameras
and I had about 50 canisters strewn about my car full of just about
everything (pennies, nickles, quarters, screws, bolts......) I was
clean, but the border patrol got sooooo excited every time they found a
new one. Good thing I was clean, 'cause they sure were looking.

Note to self, don't drive across the border wearing a tyedye with long
hair and grateful dead stickers on your truck. I fit the profile, I
just don't partake.

Take care,
Sexton

are they safe? habitat Gardening 24 28-06-2010 03:57 AM
Seeds/cling film? Candy United Kingdom 5 15-04-2009 09:47 PM
Gossip about Film Industry,Film Stars,Their Lives and Lifestyle prajy Gardening 0 11-04-2009 06:51 PM
Gossip about Film Industry,Film Stars,Their Lives and Lifestyle prajy Edible Gardening 0 11-04-2009 06:10 PM
Airport x-ray machines safe for plants and seeds? JS United Kingdom 2 07-01-2003 11:15 PM