Old 25-07-2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Some pepper questions

Hi,

This year I decided to grow some peppers and I have a few questions.

I have 2 types of peppers growing. Small red bell peppers and also
Cayenne peppers. I already picked one of the little bell bell peppers
and it was extremely hot!!! I accidentaly touched my eyes after
eating it and my eyes were burning.

The little bell peppers seem to be turning red pretty quickly but the
Cayenne peppers are still green.

Do I need to wait until the Cayenne peppers turn red? I have some
really big ones going now but they are all green.

Also, any ideas on what to do with the little bell peppers as far as
cooking would be appreciated. I was thinking of making a Fradiavlo
sauce with the Cayenne peppers but I guess I could put the bell
peppers in as well since they are so hot.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Steve
Old 25-07-2008, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

Bell peppers are not supposed to be hot...
How much water did you give them?
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 25-07-2008, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 04:34:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Hi,

This year I decided to grow some peppers and I have a few questions.

I have 2 types of peppers growing. Small red bell peppers and also
Cayenne peppers. I already picked one of the little bell bell peppers
and it was extremely hot!!! I accidentaly touched my eyes after
eating it and my eyes were burning.

The little bell peppers seem to be turning red pretty quickly but the
Cayenne peppers are still green.

Are you sure those little "bell" peppers aren't something like scotch
bonnets or another atom bomb?

Old 25-07-2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 25, 12:03*pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm...

Maybe I got the name wrong. These are little peppers about the size
of a half dollar maybe.

I water pretty frequently.

Steve
Old 25-07-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

lol Bell peppers get to be about 4" or so across and tall.

Wonder if you grew Habaneros? Those (aka "Scotch bonnets") are one of
the hotter peppers!

For mild peppers, I prefer anaheims. They are great stuffed and made
into chili rellenos.

Most hot peppers get fed to my cockatoo. She loves them and they are a
great source of vitamin C for her.

Old 25-07-2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 25, 1:41*pm, Omelet wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
[...]

OK, I looked at a bunch of pictures online and I'm almost positivie I
grew cherry peppers. I also grew Cayenne peppers right next to the
cherry peppers.

They are quite hot but it's really the seeds that are the hottest. I
haven't sampled the cayenne's yet because they are not red yet. I
guess they take longer.

Kind of fun growing something different this year.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with them but Fradiavlo sauce
seems like a good idea.

Steve
Old 25-07-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi,

I've been growing cayenne peppersin my UK greenhouse this year and
been rather surprised at the way they grew. The pepers seemed vey
"stunted" and many seemed to grow several "peppers" from one flower, a
bit like a tree onion. Is that usual?
Old 26-07-2008, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:41:49 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Wonder if you grew Habaneros? Those (aka "Scotch bonnets") are one of
the hotter peppers!

Not trying to be a pepper snob, but habaneros and scotch bonnets
aren't the same pepper, even though they are called the same in a lot
of places. They're very closely related and similarly hot, but hail
from different regions.

Try this site to see the slight difference in shape:
http://members.visi.net/~mandy/pepguide.html

For mild peppers, I prefer anaheims. They are great stuffed and made
into chili rellenos.

I like mild peppers as well. Never hot just to be hot without flavor.

Currently have planted:

Sweets: Corbaci, Red Corno di Toro, Cubanelle, Feherezon, Italia,
Marconi, Nardello, and Paprika.

Hots: Aci Sevri, Cascabel, De Arbol, Jalapeno, Poblano, Sweet
Habanero, Relleno.

tom

PS: And for the OP. If you intend on saving seed, don't plant sweets
with hots, as they cross easily. The fruit from this year won't be
hot, but the children plants probably will be.

Old 26-07-2008, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:05:05 GMT, se (JustTom) wrote:

I like mild peppers as well. Never hot just to be hot without flavor.

Agreed.

Currently have planted:

Sweets: Corbaci, Red Corno di Toro, Cubanelle, Feherezon, Italia,
Marconi, Nardello, and Paprika.

I plant Golden Marconi and Jimmy Nardello every year. This year I have
the Corno di Toro Giallo, along with Quadrato d'Asti Rosso, Golden
Treasure, Sweet Yellow Stuffing, Yankee Bell, King of the North,
Jupiter.

Hots: Aci Sevri, Cascabel, De Arbol, Jalapeno, Poblano, Sweet
Habanero, Relleno.

Thanks for the additions to the list. I have Jalapenos (they are hot
this year...finally...saving these seeds for sure) Poblanos and
Rellenos, along with Tabasco, Fish, Cayenne Long Thin, Thai Red Chili,
and a new one, that is hotter than Jalepeno but seems to be a little
less heat than tabasco is Variegata or Trifetti, the little purple
round fruits are hot with really good flavor and prolific as all get
out on beautiful plants. Planning on pickling lots of them.

Trying a hot paprika also, Leutschauer Paprika .

Have another one that is really slow growing...it is finally blooming
and starting small fruit..... Robertos Cuban Seasoning.

I found some forgotten, and presumed lost, ten year old saved seeds of
an Italian Pimiento, Figaro, that germed about fifty percent and am
awaiting them with relish...very thick walled and exceptionally sweet.

tom

PS: And for the OP. If you intend on saving seed, don't plant sweets
with hots, as they cross easily. The fruit from this year won't be
hot, but the children plants probably will be.

Heh heh...sometimes the crosses can be interesting....and
surprising! ;-)

Charlie, pepper lover

How far apart do you have these puppies, Charlie?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 26-07-2008, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 26, 2:45*am, Charlie wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 23:17:34 -0700, Billy
wrote:

How far apart do you have these puppies, Charlie?

The ones planted in ground are 24" apart. *

The ones in containers vary, according to how big they are getting and
my aesthetic sense, based upon plant size, foliage color, fruit
color......

The beauty of container gardening is the funky shui thing, ya' know?

Charlie

"A high station in life is earned by the gallantry with which appalling
experiences are survived with grace." * -- Tennessee Williams

That funky shui thing, if practiced sincerely and diligently, supposed
to bring good luck. I plant mostly in containers also, but never
really considered the Feng Shue posibilities until now. Thanks for
that.

Wil
Old 26-07-2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Most hot peppers get fed to my cockatoo. She loves them and they are a
great source of vitamin C for her.
--
Peace! Om

I've been trying for years to get my African Grey to eat peppers, without
success. They're loaded with vitamins, so wish he would cooperate. But no,
if he had his choice, he'd eat junk all day.

Robert

Old 26-07-2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

Wonder if you grew Habaneros? Those (aka "Scotch bonnets") are one of
the hotter peppers!

Not trying to be a pepper snob, but habaneros and scotch bonnets
aren't the same pepper, even though they are called the same in a lot
of places. They're very closely related and similarly hot, but hail
from different regions.

Try this site to see the slight difference in shape:
http://members.visi.net/~mandy/pepguide.html

Thanks. :-) Habaneros = Scotch Bonetts was a "mom-ism".
Wish she was still alive to correct her... sigh

Old 26-07-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Robert Lewis" wrote:

Most hot peppers get fed to my cockatoo. She loves them and they are a
great source of vitamin C for her.
--
Peace! Om

I've been trying for years to get my African Grey to eat peppers, without
success. They're loaded with vitamins, so wish he would cooperate. But no,
if he had his choice, he'd eat junk all day.

Robert

Don't offer him junk...
Limit sunflower seeds especially to "occasional treat status". I go out
of my way to offer sunflower free feed. Safflower is not quite as bad,
but nearly as addicting.

Our feathered kids can be a challenge. ;-)

Have you tried dried peppers mixed in his feed?

Freya gets a variety of dried veggies offered in her grain mix. I don't
use pellets. She also gets offered fresh food on a fairly regular basis.
She loves both hot and bell peppers. She eats thru the side of the bells
to get to the seeds. g

I have wild petins around here and she loves those! Tiny little peppers.
I've learned not to offer "kissies" when her beak is pink. ;-D

Old 26-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

How far apart do you have these puppies, Charlie?

The ones planted in ground are 24" apart.

The ones in containers vary, according to how big they are getting and
my aesthetic sense, based upon plant size, foliage color, fruit
color......

The beauty of container gardening is the funky shui thing, ya' know?

Charlie

"A high station in life is earned by the gallantry with which appalling
experiences are survived with grace." -- Tennessee Williams

So, I presume your funky shui thing doesn't include seed saving OR are
the beds 500' apart, or do you bag, or cage? Fertility and entropy
make purity difficult. Think I can get my funky shui aligned if I just
rotate the hill 45 degrees to the west and invert the slope.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars