Old 25-07-2008, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default pumpkin plants producing no female flowers

hello,

my pumpkin patch has been producing male flowers for well over three
weeks. but not one female! i have been told to give it a few weeks,
but that time has already passed. a few years back the same thing
happened to me. the whole season went b¥ without producing 1 female
flower. whats the story?

needing a female in somerville , ma.

dennis pawlik
617-623-2722

Old 31-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered User

I am having problems with my pumpins too. Both plants produced about 3 young pumpins at the beginning of growth, which were eaten by slugs. Now they seem to be producing nothing. How do you know if a flower is male or female. I have been using a paint brush in a vein hope I can produce another pumpkin.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 AM
Registered User

Location: essex
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxglove77 View Post
I am having problems with my pumpins too. Both plants produced about 3 young pumpins at the beginning of growth, which were eaten by slugs. Now they seem to be producing nothing. How do you know if a flower is male or female. I have been using a paint brush in a vein hope I can produce another pumpkin.
Hi! A male flower is on the end of a slim stem & a female flower has a small ball behind it which eventually swells to form the pumpkin.