Old 26-07-2008, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Container Gardening

These photos will show you my deck garden.

It is quite easy to grow fruits and vegetables and flowers in
containers. And they all look so lovely of a fine summer's day.

Boron
Old 29-07-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 26, 10:55*am, Boron Elgar wrote:
These photos will show you my deck garden.

It is quite easy to grow fruits and vegetables and flowers in
containers. *And they all look so lovely of a fine summer's day.

Boron

Nice! Your lemon cucubers look so good! I only got 1 fruit from my
three plants so far, but lots of flowers though. My English cucmbers
have yielded five nive cukes so far and the regular cucubers have
yielded 6. I got 2 green bell pepper and 20 + tomatoes so far with 2
having ripened and about to be eatened in my salad today.

My beans haven't flowered yet. I'm in DC zone 6 I think.

Thanks for the pictures!

Wil
Old 30-07-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:18:36 -0700 (PDT), Wil
wrote:

On Jul 26, 10:55 am, Boron Elgar wrote:
These photos will show you my deck garden.

It is quite easy to grow fruits and vegetables and flowers in
containers. And they all look so lovely of a fine summer's day.

Boron

Nice! Your lemon cucubers look so good! I only got 1 fruit from my
three plants so far, but lots of flowers though. My English cucmbers
have yielded five nive cukes so far and the regular cucubers have
yielded 6. I got 2 green bell pepper and 20 + tomatoes so far with 2
having ripened and about to be eatened in my salad today.

My beans haven't flowered yet. I'm in DC zone 6 I think.

Thanks for the pictures!

Wil

You are most welcome.

Your cukes should keep producing. Some years they are more prolific
than others, even when the gardening methods used are the same. Mother
Nature can be funny sometimes.

The lemon cukes have come in two-to-one to the Kirbys and the Japanese
ones. Usually I get way more Kirby's than anything else.

The tomatoes, other than the cherries/grapes, are just starting to
ripen fully. We're picking this week for the first time this season.

Boron

I do it this way. Once you get them built, it's the laziest way to garden I
know of. I've got 20 or boxes and plan on many more.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Old 31-07-2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:59:09 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I have boxes like that and have never been thrilled with the yield
from them. I got all caught up in the rage of them a few years ago
and have almost stopped using them

Additionally, they take more tending than regular pots, in that they
do not get the benefit of any rain, but must be watered by hand. When
the weather is hot here, as it gets in July and August in northern NJ,
they have to be watered twice a day, rain or shine.

My last surviving earthbox one has yellow squash in it this year.

Frankly, when I used to garden down in the dirt, I'd grow my cukes
each year in a cheap bag of potting soil. I'd cut a couple of holes
for the "hills" and put the seedlings in. The following year, I'd use
that soil for indoor plants or pots and start again.

Cukes, like tomatoes, can be susceptible to soil borne problems and
changing out the soil each year for "dirt" money (someone always has a
sale) worked well for me for ages.

But, the best way to garden is the whatever way makes you happiest and
keeps you tending the green stuff.

Boron

Old 31-07-2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JC JC is offline

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

We're in south Texas and they work fine for us. We keep them shaded and
don't always keep the plastic on them. I've set up a float system so they
are pretty much self watering.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Claire DC's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Manchester, UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boron Elgar View Post
It is quite easy to grow fruits and vegetables and flowers in
containers. And they all look so lovely of a fine summer's day.

Photos look great!

It's good to see that container gardening can provide such good results.. this is what I will be doing whilst our garden isn't how i want it yet and whilst i'm still on a waiting list for an allotment.

Claire.