Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

Scientific!!!
Nah, I just pile everything in to a wire mesh frame until its over full,
leave it until it drops to about half full, spread it on the garden. Works
for me see;
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10280?sort=5
This one is about 8 ft square and has now been filled way over the top of
the frame, and is now well on its way back down again all by itself. The
other one is about quarter full, should take another 18 months to

completely
fill it. the only other thing I do is cover the full one with and old bit
of carpet. I lifted a corner last weekend and there were loads of little

red
worms working away under it.

Yea I know, I even take pictures of the compost heap, if you rummage

around
you will even find the second one half empty.

Mike

Would adding lime work to hasten the decomposition?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Mike" wrote in message news:5d3nk.582$7N1.358@trnddc06...

[...]

I have absolutely no idea.

Mike

Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 8, 2:50 pm, "Mike" wrote:
[...]

Try using alfalfa pellets instead. Like having cow manure but
bypassing
the cow. works great.
Emilie
Old 09-08-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

[...]

I'll second the alfalfa pellet concept! I've had pet bunnies. I know
how hot that waste gets with spilled feed in it.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

[...]

It would decompose the compost but it would be a chemical decomposition
that would kill off the biological decomposers (bacteria and fungi)
that you want in your garden. I know that this is an old
question of your's but for god's sake man, get a book or google.
Your being much too dense and lazy about this. Just throw some
dead vegetative material on the ground, in a rather large heap and come
back in 6 months and add the remains to your garden. In the mean time,
google or go to the library.

I have absolutely no idea.

Mike

I'll second the alfalfa pellet concept! I've had pet bunnies. I know
how hot that waste gets with spilled feed in it.

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"mleblanca" wrote in message news:

Mike
Try using alfalfa pellets instead. Like having cow manure but
bypassing
the cow. works great.
Emilie

I see the importance of alfalfa as a starting material in food production
and the action those microbotic organisms has on it, whether it takes place
in a cow's stomach, in a compost pile or a vat of compost tea.