Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default New Pepper Problem

New Pepper Problem

The peppers that were producing in my garden have started having
peppers ruin on the plant.

The peppers (bell) look just fine until the side that is up starts
getting soft.
Finally it just gets so soft it falls in.

Been getting 100 F days here, with no rain.
I've been watering them at night off and on.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

CanopyCo said:

New Pepper Problem

The peppers that were producing in my garden have started having
peppers ruin on the plant.

The peppers (bell) look just fine until the side that is up starts
getting soft.
Finally it just gets so soft it falls in.

Been getting 100 F days here, with no rain.
I've been watering them at night off and on.

Sounds like sunscald. This is caused by exposure of the fruit to
direct sunlight and is not a disease, but a physiological problem.
Sometimes the sunscalded areas will be colonized by a fungus, but
the fungus is the result of, not the cause of, the lesions on the
fruit. Sunscald is worse on plants that have been partly defoliated
by pests or leaf diseases.

It would help if you could somehow shade the peppers in the heat
of the day. It might also help to mist the plants during the hottest
part of the day, when they might be stressed and drooping despite
having plenty of soil moisture.

Wild chiles are found growing under 'nurse trees' where they
are sheltered from direct sunlight, and where the air is just a bit
more humid.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered User

Most likely sunscald, like sunburn on fruit. Shading plants through the hottest part of the day should sort it out.
If not then look up 'blossom end rot' and 'anthracnose'.
Regards
Richard
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanopyCo View Post
New Pepper Problem

The peppers that were producing in my garden have started having
peppers ruin on the plant.

The peppers (bell) look just fine until the side that is up starts
getting soft.
Finally it just gets so soft it falls in.

Been getting 100 F days here, with no rain.
I've been watering them at night off and on.
it mostly likely to be blossom end rot am also think you could be over watering it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks all.
I'll make it a shade and see if that helps.