Old 25-06-2009, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Bugs are eating my beans

A voracious bug of some sort is eating my bean plants. What's the best
way to handle this problem.

Old 26-06-2009, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

A voracious bug of some sort is eating my bean plants. What's the best
way to handle this problem.

First identify the bug. What makes you think it is a bug and not a snail
or a pet?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 26-06-2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If I had to make a guess, it's Mexican bean beetles. The only thing remotely
organic that helps is Bonide's Rotenone/pyrethrum blend. For some unknown
reason we don't have many this year, I'm just hand picking in the evening.
Best of luck,
Steve

Old 26-06-2009, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:20:56 -0700, Just Me wrote:

On Jun 25, 4:48Â*pm, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
A voracious bug of some sort is eating my bean plants. What's the best
way to handle this problem.

Well General, if you're living anywhere east of the Rockies, chances are
you've got a Manilla style sneak attack from the Japanese Beetles. See
the post, "Will Chrysanthemums Work? And check out that link, see where
it speaks of making a spray from "flea and tick soap" mixed with a tbsp
of ammonia to the gallon of water.

Soon as this Sevin I sprayed today wears off, that's goiing to be my
next experiment. Meanwhile, that Sevin works. But, so much as people are
using it more and more to deal with this plague, according to some, it's
already doing a job on the honey bees. We got NO peaches and apples this
year. This could be related.

P.S. What does "Schvantzkopf" mean in Yiddish? ;-)

I'd rather not translate it in mixed company. I use it in newsgroups
because it's flame proof, if you call yourself Schvantzkoph it doesn't
leave a lot of room for anyone to insult you.

I'm in Massachusetts so Japanese beetles are more likely than Mexican
bean beetles. They used to make Japanese beetle traps that had a
pheromone attractant inside of a bag, do those still exist.

Old 26-06-2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 25, 4:48*pm, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
[...]

You know, that's just what I was thinking when I joined the group,
soc.culture.jewish.moderated under nym of "Shmendrik"? And you're
right. It did work for awhile, till people started making comments
like, "Can there be a shmendrik--from Iowa? But who said I was from
there? Not me. Then along came the one who said, "Shmendrik! Don't
try to live up to your name." It was all downhill after that.

I'm in Massachusetts so Japanese beetles are more likely than Mexican
bean beetles. They used to make Japanese beetle traps that had a
pheromone attractant inside of a bag, do those still exist.

Yes, but again, see the first post in the Chrysanthemum thread. There
are many who say those bags just make things worse.

Here's the pretty little suspect in question, though these images can
never do such a bug justice. Not like seeing one close up and
personal, all iridescent green and copper toned, shining in the sun,
being squashed between a nimble forefinger and thumb.

http://tinyurl.com/kp3aln
--
JM http://mackiemesser.zoomshare.com