PLU codes beginning with "3"

Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default PLU codes beginning with "3"

Does anyone know what a produce code beginning with 3 stands for? I've
seen a couple of blogs stating that the 3 indicates irradiation but
nothing concrete about it.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
villon wrote:

Does anyone know what a produce code beginning with 3 stands for? I've
seen a couple of blogs stating that the 3 indicates irradiation but
nothing concrete about it.

Four digit codes from 3000 - 4999 are for standard produce. If there is
a 9 first and then the four digits then it is organic produce.

The International Federation for Produce Standards site says 8 in front
is for GMO. They don't have anything listed about irridiated produce.
http://www.plucodes.com/produce.aspx

marcella