Old 17-05-2010, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Anyone growing PawPaws?

They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/
Old 18-05-2010, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html

Well you learn something every day. I don't know pawpaw was indigenous to
north America.

It seems odd that the article says they are not yet grown commercially. I
suppose they mean in the USA

David

Old 18-05-2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html

Well you learn something every day. I don't know pawpaw was indigenous to
north America.

It seems odd that the article says they are not yet grown commercially. I
suppose they mean in the USA

David

I got this book at Costco, called "Grow Fruit (Paperback) by Alan
Buckingham" ISBN-10: 0756658896. On page 310 states that "This native
fruit will grow well in all parts of the United States EXCEPT colder
parts of New England and the upper Midwest and coastal areas with cool
summers.

The Web article indicates that pawpaws can be grow in zone 5 areas
including the Great Lakes area? I am in a zone 5 in the upper Midwest
state called Michigan with cool summers. I do not know of anyone around
here that grows pawpaws. So is New Jersey considered a cool summer state
in the New England area?

My book and the web article seems to have some contradictions. Give us
an update on how it turns out. I might give it try in Michigan.

Also the book states that "unripe fruit can cause stomach upsets". One
reason for not growing commercially? Lawsuits? Shipping time/ripeness
too long?

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 18-05-2010, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan L. said:

I got this book at Costco, called "Grow Fruit (Paperback) by Alan
Buckingham" ISBN-10: 0756658896. On page 310 states that "This native
fruit will grow well in all parts of the United States EXCEPT colder
parts of New England and the upper Midwest and coastal areas with cool
summers.

The Web article indicates that pawpaws can be grow in zone 5 areas
including the Great Lakes area? I am in a zone 5 in the upper Midwest
state called Michigan with cool summers. I do not know of anyone
around here that grows pawpaws.

Paw paws grow in Michigan. For one thing, they named a whole town
after them.

There used to be a state record paw paw tree in Dodge Park in Sterling
Heights (may still be there, but I know this from more than twenty
years back).

Paw paws are a tree of the Carolinian forest bottomlands (moist
understory). Think oak - hickory - hackberries - tulip trees. You
can find this forest type in southern Michigan and even SW Ontario.

Where the dominant broadleaf forest is beech - maple, no paw paws.

My book and the web article seems to have some contradictions. Give us
an update on how it turns out. I might give it try in Michigan.

If you've got the right site, you could do it. I know I don't ( too high
and dry).

Also the book states that "unripe fruit can cause stomach upsets". One
reason for not growing commercially? Lawsuits? Shipping time/ripeness
too long?

They grow and ship persimmons. Have you ever tried an unripe
persimmon? Nasty!

Not conducive to orcharding, I should think, based on its preferred
growing conditions, and the fact that it is not bee pollinated (so
often suffers poor pollination when grown in cultivation).

The fruits are also enormously popular among the wildlife set (foxes,
racoons, oppossums and squirrels). They are also fragile with a
short shelf life and filled with large seeds (so, not ideal for selling
as fresh fruit).

I know there are probably some paw paw trees growing near me
(probably down along the Rouge River) as I have seen the occassional
Zebra swallowtail butterfly in my yard.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawpaw

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 18-05-2010, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Dan L. said:

[...]

Well then, I learned something new today! I may try growing pawpaws
someday and also I just learned I may have a new junky book!

I may check out Dodge Park, its about 40 miles south west of me. I drive
by the park (today actually) once in a while and never stopped by.
Thinking it was just another stupid public park. I will have to look up
where Pawpaw Michigan is.

I went to a lecture six months ago in Port Huron about the Carolinian
Forest. The lecture was very interesting. The lecture may have mentioned
the paw paws in which at the time did not stuck in my brain. Showed
photos of the native trees and plants in the area. Sad that most of the
forest is gone.

Old 19-05-2010, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

We have a young tree, just a bit over 6 feet tall. It has bloomed the
last few years, as a matter of fact it's in bloom right now. However, it
has never set fruit and after reading the other posts in this thread and
doing a bit of Googling, it is easier to understand why.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 19-05-2010, 11:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ross said:

Bill who putters wrote:
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

We have a young tree, just a bit over 6 feet tall. It has bloomed the
last few years, as a matter of fact it's in bloom right now. However, it
has never set fruit and after reading the other posts in this thread and
doing a bit of Googling, it is easier to understand why.

You need at least two trees as they aren't self-fertile.

Did ou read the bit about hanging chicken necks from the paw paw
trees to attract its natural pollinators (blow flies and carrion beetles)?

Old 19-05-2010, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Ross said:

Bill who putters wrote:
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

We have a young tree, just a bit over 6 feet tall. It has bloomed the
last few years, as a matter of fact it's in bloom right now. However, it
has never set fruit and after reading the other posts in this thread and
doing a bit of Googling, it is easier to understand why.

You need at least two trees as they aren't self-fertile.

That's probably the biggest reason, we bought two but the second is at
our daughter's place about 20 Km away.

Did ou read the bit about hanging chicken necks from the paw paw
trees to attract its natural pollinators (blow flies and carrion beetles)?

Yeah, I read that but, with only one tree, the chickens are safe.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
Old 21-05-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Mon, 17 May 2010 14:56:34 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html

I've got 30-40 trees in one Pawpaw patch. They are native and there
aren't many pawpaws that set. I've thought about getting another
variety as these are probably all clonal. Probably would not matter
as there are way more critters than Pawpaws anyway.

30 or 40 Wow. Guess that they are low maintenance but your tone
suggests not worth the effort.
Would you plant them again knowing what you know now?

Thanks!

Old 22-05-2010, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In , on 05/19/10
at 12:43 AM, Ross said:

We have a young tree, just a bit over 6 feet tall. It has bloomed the
last few years, as a matter of fact it's in bloom right now. However, it
has never set fruit and after reading the other posts in this thread and
doing a bit of Googling, it is easier to understand why.

As you probably saw, pawpaw isn't self-fertile, so you need at least two
trees. Plus, the flower is pollinated by flies, so a recommended way to
attract them is by hanging up a small piece of meat.

I have two pawpaw trees in my back yard here by the northwest corner of
Baltimore. One is several years older than the other. The older tree has
flowered for a few years, the younger one produced its first flower this
year.-

Old 27-07-2010, 08:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 5/17/2010 8:02 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In ,
"David wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
[...]

My Paw Paws are only 5 years in the ground, but I know several people
growing them.

Paw Paws will start their early life in almost total shade, which they
prefer early in their growth cycle. As they get older, they need more
sunlight to help them grow and produce fruit.

I know of at least one person trying to grow them commercially, but
the main problem is their short shelf life measured in days. They may
still be edible after that, but the skin starts to look like an
over ripe banana. Most consumers are driven more by looks than taste.

Sherwin
Old 27-07-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sherwin dubren wrote:

I know of at least one person trying to grow them commercially, but
the main problem is their short shelf life measured in days. They may
still be edible after that, but the skin starts to look like an
over ripe banana. Most consumers are driven more by looks than taste.

I first read about paw paw trees from Lewis and Clark. The short shelf
life is why I didn't plant one in my back yard. I think the only really
workable approach would be to make preserves directly as soon as there
are harvestable fruits. Don't even bother selling the fresh fruit.

deer don't eat pawpaws [email protected] Gardening 1 04-02-2010 11:57 AM
How to Find Pawpaws in the Wild? Peter Chrisbacher Gardening 6 26-02-2004 06:32 AM
saffron crocus--anyone ever try growing it here? Heidi North Carolina 6 24-07-2003 07:09 PM
Pawpaws Gene Hubert North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
Anyone use a space heater in home for warm growing orchids? Elpaninaro Orchids 8 10-03-2003 04:44 AM