Planting dill in Texas

Old 27-07-2010, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Planting dill in Texas

My parents live in the Houston area, and have no luck at all growing
dill. I live in Minnesota, and it grows like a weed here, reseeding
every year. I just harvested a bunch of dill seed, and want to send a
few ounces to my Mom to see if maybe the problem is getting fresh seeds.

I assume she should plant it now, and it'll come up on its own around
November? Or should she wait until fall to plant it? Or maybe early
next spring (like in February)?

I guess she could plant half now, and save the rest; if the first
planting comes up, she'll have good dillseed to cook with. If it
doesn't come up she gets a second chance.

What say y'all? (I can say "y'all" and get away with it cuz I still
have an East Texas accent.) Thanks.

Bob

Old 27-07-2010, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
My parents live in the Houston area, and have no luck at all growing dill.
I live in Minnesota, and it grows like a weed here, reseeding every year.
I just harvested a bunch of dill seed, and want to send a few ounces to my
Mom to see if maybe the problem is getting fresh seeds.

I assume she should plant it now, and it'll come up on its own around
November? Or should she wait until fall to plant it? Or maybe early next
spring (like in February)?

I guess she could plant half now, and save the rest; if the first planting
comes up, she'll have good dillseed to cook with. If it doesn't come up
she gets a second chance.

What say y'all? (I can say "y'all" and get away with it cuz I still have
an East Texas accent.) Thanks.

Bob

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ng+cool+microc
limates&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sadly I need sun and will have to reduce shade.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?