Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Leeds
Default Cucumbers

Hi

Last year we tried to grow some cucumbers in the greenhouse but they really struggled and we got next to nothing for our work. So this year rather than taking up greenhouse space we are going to try an outside variety at the allotment like our neighbour (Yorkshire) which seemed to do quite welll.

I haven't seen him this year yet to ask what he grew so does anybody have any experience or any advice of which type to go for?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 12:28:09 +0000, gingerbrad wrote:

Hi

Last year we tried to grow some cucumbers in the greenhouse but they
really struggled and we got next to nothing for our work. So this year
rather than taking up greenhouse space we are going to try an outside
variety at the allotment like our neighbour (Yorkshire) which seemed to
do quite welll.

I haven't seen him this year yet to ask what he grew so does anybody
have any experience or any advice of which type to go for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've found that cucumbers are one of the easiest things to grow. I've
grown several varieties in my back garden, which doesn't get a lot of sun,
and I've always had good yields. I'm in Massachusetts which has a fairly
short growing season, usually pretty wet but last years was hot and dry.
Don't know how my climate compares to yours but I expect it's fairly
similar.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
gingerbrad

How easy is it to grow cucumbers in the Arizona desert (Phoenix metro
area)?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jane G. wrote:
On Apr 1, 5:28 am, gingerbrad
wrote:
Hi

Last year we tried to grow some cucumbers in the greenhouse but they
really struggled and we got next to nothing for our work. So this year
rather than taking up greenhouse space we are going to try an outside
variety at the allotment like our neighbour (Yorkshire) which seemed to
do quite welll.

I haven't seen him this year yet to ask what he grew so does anybody
have any experience or any advice of which type to go for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
gingerbrad

How easy is it to grow cucumbers in the Arizona desert (Phoenix metro
area)?

Real easy, provided you can provide enough water. One of the most
productive gardens I ever had was in El Paso, TX. Great drainage, just
provide natural manure, and plenty of water.
Old 18-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered User

I've begin that cucumbers are one of the easiest things to grow. I've grown several varieties in my aback garden, which doesn't get a lot of sun, and I've consistently had acceptable yields. I'm in Massachusetts which has a fairly short growing season, usually appealing wet but endure years was hot and dry.
Types of Grow Lights