Old 18-04-2011, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Prescription Bottles / Seed Storage

On Apr 18, 4:22*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study
that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they
did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in
Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate
them. It was still fun to play with.

The guys I brew with have 10 or so different varieties. We had a couple of
pounds or so to play with last winter. We have some new hop farms in the
area. I saw some local Cascade advertised for sale last fall. The Ag Ex
folks are pushing anything except tobacco.

We are planning a trip that way later in the spring. We would love to
check it out. We are opening a Brew Pub before the end of the year,
how cool would it be to be able to use "local" hops!
MJ
Old 18-04-2011, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 18, 4:22*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study
that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they
did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in
Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate
them. It was still fun to play with.

The guys I brew with have 10 or so different varieties. We had a couple of
pounds or so to play with last winter. We have some new hop farms in the
area. I saw some local Cascade advertised for sale last fall. The Ag Ex
folks are pushing anything except tobacco.

We are planning a trip that way later in the spring. We would love to
check it out. We are opening a Brew Pub before the end of the year,
how cool would it be to be able to use "local" hops!
MJ

Depends on their quality. Some regions aren't amenable to growing top
quality hops.

How about "organic"?
http://www.eelriverbrewing.com/index.html

Drinking Problems

Symptom Fault Action to be Taken

Drinking fails to give Mouth shut or glass Buy another pint, and
satisfaction and taste: applied to wrong practice before mirror.
shirt front wet part of face. Continue with as many
pints as necessary until
drinking technique is
perfect.

A man is not drunk, who from the floor
can rise again and drink some more
But he is drunk who prostrate lies,
and cannot drink, and cannot rise.

Drinking late at night, can lead to pregnancy.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion
Dept. of Health and Human Services budget: $78.4 billion

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 19-04-2011, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study
that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they
did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in
Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate
them. It was still fun to play with.

The guys I brew with have 10 or so different varieties. We had a couple
of
pounds or so to play with last winter. We have some new hop farms in the
area. I saw some local Cascade advertised for sale last fall. The Ag Ex
folks are pushing anything except tobacco.

I purchased some from Nichols about 35 years ago. It is a vine here
and borders on being a noxious weed. Pull it up and the little roots
come on.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

If you will mulch that vine heavily late fall the spring shoots will be
white, tender and delicious!

Old 19-04-2011, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

Our hops are organic and our beers are winning awards, so I guess the hops
are quality. We did have one small bag that wasn't properly dried and had
some decomp issues. We're still learning about growing hops, got nothing
left to prove about brewing or meadmaking.
Steve

Old 20-04-2011, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 19, 7:55*am, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Steve, what varieties are you experimenting with and whats your
results been so far?

Old 21-04-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study
that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they
did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in
Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate
them. It was still fun to play with.

Do you mean after it was dead or did it survive the meal with some bad
breath?

Old 21-04-2011, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Apr 19, 7:55 am, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message

In article
,
" wrote:

[...]

This is only our third year. So far the best production has been from Nugget
and an heirloom Hallertau mittlefru. Columbus and Centennial have been slow
growers. Newport has done fairly well, but the flavor is lacking. I can't
remember the others just now, we have 10-12 varieties. Would give the left
cahonne for some Simcoe, Amarillo and/or Citra!

I'm exhausted, been out hunting morels most of the day. It's a good tired
though, got about 3 pounds!
Steve

Old 21-04-2011, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

*Would give the left
cahonne for some Simcoe, Amarillo and/or Citra!

Ya, you might have to put the right one on the table as well.

I did a quick peek at a few places here for your varieties and demand,
if they had it, seems as high as ever. Lots of chatter that some big
orders came in.

I'm exhausted, been out hunting morels most of the day. It's a good tired
though, got about 3 pounds!

You old dog you...ya just had to rub it in!
Hell, I would give your left cajone for just a lb of those. A bit
rare here. Might have to research feasibility of cultivating them
again.