Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered User

Default Garlic growth

Hi

New here and hope someone can help me. Last year I did not dig my garlic up in time. Now there are lots and lots of leaves coming up where the garlic cloves were planted.

What can I do with these? Do I dig them up and plant them elsewhere or leave them? If I do leave them where they are, will they grow into large bulbs again?

Thanking you!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Joanna Onion wrote:

What can I do with these? Do I dig them up and plant them elsewhere or
leave them? If I do leave them where they are, will they grow into large
bulbs again?

You'll get whole bunch of small bulbs, because each clove will make a bulb.
You can try to separate and replant some, but the loss of roots and growing
time will still make smaller than normal bulbs. If you don't want them for
seed garlic in the fall, just pull and use like scallions-these are a big
deal in Asian markets.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Joanna Onion wrote:

New here and hope someone can help me. Last year I did not dig my garlic
up in time. Now there are lots and lots of leaves coming up where the
garlic cloves were planted.

What can I do with these? Do I dig them up and plant them elsewhere or
leave them? If I do leave them where they are, will they grow into large
bulbs again?

You can do either, and will probably get definitive advice that you MUST
leave them where they are and also conflicting definitive advice that
you MUST dig them up and move them.

Having actually done both, I'd leave them where they are for now. Got
our best harvest the year after we "forgot" the whole bed, and have had
poor luck with transplanting (or planting) garlic in spring, better luck
with both in the fall. I normally plant cloves saved for planting in the
fall, and also transplant the ones that come up where we dug the garlic
and missed a few in the fall. If I miss any until spring, I leave them
be where they are. Does increase the risk of soil-borne disease (as
you're not rotating) but that disease (if any, and there may be none)
will probably get transplanted along with the plants if you move them.

Old 13-04-2012, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Joanna Onion wrote:

Hi

New here and hope someone can help me. Last year I did not dig my garlic
up in time. Now there are lots and lots of leaves coming up where the
garlic cloves were planted.

What can I do with these? Do I dig them up and plant them elsewhere or
leave them? If I do leave them where they are, will they grow into large
bulbs again?

Thanking you!

moving or dividing them is not the best thing
to do, so might as well wait and divide them
later.

small garlic cloves taste just as good as large
cloves. harvest it when it's done. replant
the largest cloves for next season at a better
spacing and all should be set.

songbird
Old 17-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered User

Thank you for your replies. Really helpful!

Old 17-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna Onion View Post
Hi

New here and hope someone can help me. Last year I did not dig my garlic up in time. Now there are lots and lots of leaves coming up where the garlic cloves were planted.

What can I do with these? Do I dig them up and plant them elsewhere or leave them? If I do leave them where they are, will they grow into large bulbs again?

Thanking you!
Thinking about growing garlic myself, although I haven't really looked into it too much. So you plant in the fall?
Fruit Trees

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Pond growth and non-growth Phyllis and Jim[_2_] Ponds (moderated) 16 07-03-2008 07:48 PM
Why good plant growth= bad algae growth [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 22-02-2004 10:53 PM
Why good plant growth= bad algae growth [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-02-2004 03:38 AM
Why good plant growth= bad algae growth [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 22-02-2004 03:38 AM