Old 15-12-2012, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Carrots!

I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those lengthwise
splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These have been pretty
much left on their own since I began spending a lot of time at our Ozark
Hideaway .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 15-12-2012, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:06:22 PM UTC-7, Snag wrote:
I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those lengthwise

splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These have been pretty

much left on their own since I began spending a lot of time at our Ozark

Hideaway .

--

Snag

Learning keeps

you young !

Google will provide you with many answers from nematodes to watering.
Give Google a try...you will like it.
Old 15-12-2012, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:
I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those
lengthwise splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These
have been pretty much left on their own since I began spending a lot
of time at our Ozark Hideaway .

The usual explanation is over-fertile soil. Carrots like soft sandy soil
with some organic matter but not very fertile. If practicing crop rotation
sow carrots last after heavy feeding crops are done before refurbishing or
fertilising.

Old 16-12-2012, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Snag wrote:
I just harvested mine ... and wonder why a few of them have those
lengthwise splits . Is that caused by variations in watering ? These
have been pretty much left on their own since I began spending a lot
of time at our Ozark Hideaway .

The usual explanation is over-fertile soil. Carrots like soft sandy
soil with some organic matter but not very fertile. If practicing
crop rotation sow carrots last after heavy feeding crops are done
before refurbishing or fertilising.

Thanks ! These were grown in a patch that I turned from grass to garden
spring-before-last , and both years I tilled a 2" layer of nice rich black
compost into the soil . Had great top growth , and pretty decent carrots .
These were a "short n sweet" variety , and they are indeed short . Fat too !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Why have my carrots not come up? welshuser United Kingdom 34 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM