A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Gardening Discussions » Edible Gardening
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can cats safely eat tomato plants?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight cold and the
cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed to him eating them as
they will probably not make it thru to next season and I can grow plenty more,
just concerned for his health
Ads
  #2  
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,794
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight
cold and the cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed
to him eating them as they will probably not make it thru to next
season and I can grow plenty more, just concerned for his health


I cannot think of any reason why tomatoes would harm a cat provided it
otherwise had a good diet. Cats cannot be vegans but if their protein
intake is OK some fruit or veg on the side should do no harm. Wait to see
what grows in the litter tray. Well maybe not.

D

  #3  
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight
cold and the cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed
to him eating them as they will probably not make it thru to next
season and I can grow plenty more, just concerned for his health


I cannot think of any reason why tomatoes would harm a cat provided it
otherwise had a good diet. Cats cannot be vegans but if their protein
intake is OK some fruit or veg on the side should do no harm. Wait to see
what grows in the litter tray. Well maybe not.

D


I should have googled, but a cursory search shows that tomatos are okay in their
diet, but the plants are if not exactly poisonous, definitely not good for their
help.
  #4  
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:
took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight cold and the
cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed to him eating them as
they will probably not make it thru to next season and I can grow plenty more,
just concerned for his health


I brought my ghost pepper plants in for frost. They were munching the
leaves.
I usually grow grass for them in winter. Seems natural they like, and need
some plant material in their diets. I don't of a reason for from tomato,
but yo got to watch certain flowers.

Greg
  #5  
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

On Nov 11, 8:30 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

I should have googled, but a cursory search shows that tomatos are okay in their
diet, but the plants are if not exactly poisonous, definitely not good for their
help.


My understanding is that the tomato plant is a member of the
nightshade family, which is poisonous ---- not the red fruit,
but the green stalk and leaves. I believe the poison is
called tomatin, and is present in the fruit until it turns red.
Some people are more sensitive to it than others. In the
past , tomatoes were called "witch apples" and were
thought to be poisonous themselved, probably due to
people eating the green leaves and stalks and assuming
the fruit was just as bad....
As far as cats, well, ....... there are garden bugs that eat
the leaves so I guess it isn't poisonous to everything...
Dogs are not supposed to eat tomatoes (the fruit), because
of the small amount of tomatin that remains......
  #6  
Old 13-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Default

My understanding is that cats cannot eat tomatoes as they are toxic and can cause kidney failure, chronic diarrhea, cardiac arrest, cramping, bloating, gas, chronic stomachaches, and other health issues.
  #7  
Old 14-11-2012, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,794
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

james_coale wrote:
My understanding is that cats cannot eat tomatoes as they are toxic
and can cause kidney failure, chronic diarrhea, cardiac arrest,
cramping, bloating, gas, chronic stomachaches, and other health
issues.


Why?

D
  #8  
Old 14-11-2012, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 47
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

In article
"David Hare-Scott" writes:
james_coale wrote:
My understanding is that cats cannot eat tomatoes as they are toxic
and can cause kidney failure, chronic diarrhea, cardiac arrest,
cramping, bloating, gas, chronic stomachaches, and other health
issues.


Why?


I don't kow what else may be involved, but it is my understanding
that tomato greens have a high nicotine content. Injested nicotine
(at least at high levels) is a Bad Thing.

[Anecdote that proves nothing]

Several years back, I got overwhelmed and neglected the garden.
Having given up, I enjoyed the view one day of the deer helping
themselves to things. They were very enthusiastic anout eating the
tomatoes out of the cages, but they never touched the vines. That's
about the only green in the yard that the local dear *won't* eat.



--
Drew Lawson

I only came in search of answers, never planned to sell my soul
I only came in search of something left that I could call my own
  #9  
Old 14-11-2012, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,794
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"David Hare-Scott" writes:
james_coale wrote:
My understanding is that cats cannot eat tomatoes as they are toxic
and can cause kidney failure, chronic diarrhea, cardiac arrest,
cramping, bloating, gas, chronic stomachaches, and other health
issues.


Why?


I don't kow what else may be involved, but it is my understanding
that tomato greens have a high nicotine content. Injested nicotine
(at least at high levels) is a Bad Thing.


Nicotine certainly is very poisonous but this is the first that I have heard
about nicotine in tomatoes, I doubt very much it is true.

There is lots of stuff on the web about the solanums (tomatoes, potatoes,
capsicums, tobacco etc) being of the same family and being poisonous to some
degree but very little indeed with links to any authoritative papers that
mention tomatoes or cats. Tobacco contains nicotine and potatoes solanine
both of which are toxic but there is much more to this as clearly most of
the time we eat potatoes without ill effect. It seems that tomatoes contain
the alkaloid tomatine but how toxic that is to humans or cats and how much
is in tomato plants (and what part and when) I cannot find yet. There is
much generalisation and little specific data on this topic in popular web
pages.

Tomatoes were considered toxic to humans when first brought to Europe but
now we eat them daily. Were they bred to be less toxic and what we eat
today is different or was it all a baseless scare? I dunno.

David

  #10  
Old 17-11-2012, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

On Nov 12, 1:49 am, AndyS wrote:
On Nov 11, 8:30 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"



I should have googled, but a cursory search shows that tomatos are okay in their
diet, but the plants are if not exactly poisonous, definitely not good for their
help.


My understanding is that the tomato plant is a member of the
nightshade family, which is poisonous ---- not the red fruit,
but the green stalk and leaves. I believe the poison is
called tomatin, and is present in the fruit until it turns red.
Some people are more sensitive to it than others. In the
past , tomatoes were called "witch apples" and were
thought to be poisonous themselved, probably due to
people eating the green leaves and stalks and assuming
the fruit was just as bad....
As far as cats, well, ....... there are garden bugs that eat
the leaves so I guess it isn't poisonous to everything...
Dogs are not supposed to eat tomatoes (the fruit), because
of the small amount of tomatin that remains......


Andy adds
If you use google with the string " tomatin tomato poison" you will
see numerous explanations regarding this poisonous alkaloid
substance..
  #11  
Old 29-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 14
Default

I think that cat can easily eat tomato plants without any effect what you think about that share here your thoughts i want to know ?
brisbane fencing supplies
  #12  
Old 16-12-2012, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

On 11/11/2012 5:58 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight cold and the
cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed to him eating them as
they will probably not make it thru to next season and I can grow plenty more,
just concerned for his health


Been away a long time, but am only replying just in case anyone later
searches on this subject:

Solanaceous plants are in general toxic to some extent or other, but
it's usually moreso the herbiage & not so much the fruits, as we already
know. But the point here is that your cat (as other posters have at
least hinted at) absolutely MUST have greens in their diet to be healthy
and happy. Fer chrissakes, don't leave only toxic plants for them to
chomp on! Go to your local farm & feed store & buy some rye, wheat, -
whatever seed is cheapest (last I bought mine, was way less than $1/lb -
and a whole lb lasts a very, VERY long time!). They're easier than sin
to grow.

As if being the positively humane & right thing to do were somehow not
enough.
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.