Old 31-08-2014, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do ...

On 31/08/2014 12:17 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
On 27/08/2014 11:31 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve
by bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand
an one things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage)
but our favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

What is this machine called and who makes it?

Check Leevalley. Works well, and we've had ours for years.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...120,33279&ap=1

Old 31-08-2014, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/28/2014 10:42 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
Ecnerwal writes:
In article ,
lid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

I'm tempted to make salsa, but that would just lead to eating more
chips, which I really should not do. (Suddenly, I have a craving.)

Make chips you can feel good about eating!

That wasn't a "processed food is bad" shouldn't.
It was a "I don't need the carbs" shouldn't.

I could sneak some moderation in there if we entertained more, but
we don't. If the gym membership starts to get used more, I may
have an excuse for salsa next year.

When tomatoes overrun us (not this year) I run a dehydrator like a mad
man - and when apples over-run us, likewise. The tomatoes usually get
eaten straight, sometimes soaked in a bit of balsamic vinegar for some
uses.

That is on the list of things to try. Pasta sauce has priority, but
drying some has appeal.

"Sun-drying" is a nice idea for some other climate - here, you can
pretty much bet on mold and generally unsuitable weather, so we don't
even bother to try.

I'd have to protect them from critters large and small to do sun
drying. Not even the house cats bother the cheap dehydrator I have
(only used for spices as yet).

22 years ago I bought a $16.00 American dehydrator at a Walmart. Bought
six more trays for it a year later, still got the thing and use it a
good bit to dehydrate the herbs and vegetables we grow. Nothing
automatic about it, just have to learn when to turn it off and to rotate
the trays periodically. Sure makes the house smell nice.

We never get enough tomatoes at this new home to dehydrate any.
Generally either the birds or the stink bugs get them first.

George

--
Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and
drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever. -- Aristophanes
Old 31-08-2014, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/29/2014 9:55 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:
On 27/08/2014 11:31 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve by
bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand an one
things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage) but our
favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

I've had a tomato screen for our food sieve for years, never have got to
use it. See other post in regard to critters. Maybe, one day, sometime,
it will happen. In the meantime lots of blackberries, pears, etc. have
gone through the food mill.

George
Old 31-08-2014, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer wrote:
On 27/08/2014 11:31 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve
by bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand
an one things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage)
but our favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

What is this machine called and who makes it?

Check Leevalley. Works well, and we've had ours for years.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...120,33279&ap=1

I've had an El Cheapo "Back to Basics" Food Strainer and sauce maker for
years. Ran upon an extended set of strainers at a local junk shop, still
in the box and paid two bucks for all of them. If you get one throw away
the pewter nut that hold the handle on and get a steel nut that fits,
works much better that way. Recently I built a short extension for the
bolt that turns the mill and use a battery powered hand drill to turn
the thing. Saves a lot of cranking.

Lehman's also stocks various mills and strainers here in the U.S. of A.
I've even got a meat grinder for my Kitchen Aid mixer but can't find the
proper screens for that one or it would be my favorite.

Do I have to many kitchen gadgets? Naw, there's never enough of that
sort of thing.

George
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/09/2014 12:31 AM, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve
by bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand
an one things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage)
but our favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

What is this machine called and who makes it?

sounds like a version of a food mill to me. or
even a juicer would do similar.

It's not a food mill as such. It's more specific thatn that anme
implies - it's quite specifically for tomatoes. All of the
Italo-Australians I know have ones that are similar.

The Mouli (which is a food mill) doesn't do as good a job on tomatoes as
the specific gizmo I've got and nor does anything else. It really is
quite brilliant.

Old 14-09-2014, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Fran Farmer writes:

On 27/08/2014 11:31 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

When you're overrun with tomatoes ?

I just run excess tomatoes through the machine that takes off the skin
and pips and chucks it all off to one side and which leaves a slightly
thickened juice/pulp which comes out the other side. This I preserve by
bottling (canning in USian). It can then be used for a thousand an one
things (including cooking down to a pulp at some later stage) but our
favourite is to use it to make tomato soup in winter.

Similar. Halve enough to fill a big kettle, add just a little water to
start, steam covered. Kettle fills with (thin, watery) juice which we
pour off to be used for soup stock.

Mill the tomats (Foley food mill, removes seeds and skins) and cook
the result down some, bottle with or without added green or hot
peppers. We've maybe 2 dozen quarts of Scotias done, two bushels ripe
sitting in the kitchen and the Romas are just coming in now. A good
year for tomatoes!

Of course, this time of year, every meal is a plate full of chunked
Scotias with something else on the side. Pratchett fans will recall
that the Ankh-Morporkians scorn the Pseudopolis folks because their
food has too much avec in it. Just now, everything here is like that,
avec tomats.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada